over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Tale of 2 Presses: DB vs. BB

Blondie_Bombshell

Newbies
Originally posted on M&F.com

>>Your question: Some guys in the gym always do dumbbell bench presses for chest, but a trainer told me that the barbell bench press is the best way to stimulate the pecs. Who’s correct?

>> What we did: We had 10 highly trained athletes participate in this study of muscle activation through EMG analysis. We measured muscle activity in the upper and lower pecs as well as the front delts. The athletes performed both the barbell bench press and the dumbbell bench press using 75% of their one-rep max (1RM) for four repetitions.

>> What we found: The barbell bench press involved the upper pecs and front delts more than the dumbbell version, while the dumbbell bench press hit the lower pecs to a greater degree.

>> For discussion: When you grasp the bar using a wide, fixed hand placement (as you would on the barbell bench press), bringing your hands together at the top of the movement is not possible. This keeps the emphasis on the upper pecs and delts. In the dumbbell version, however, your hands are free to move across your body, and this causes the increased involvement of the lower pecs.

>> Final thought: If you traditionally do both barbell and dumbbell presses for chest development, keep it up. The combination of both barbell and dumbbell work increases muscular development throughout the whole pec and shoulder area, giving you the most balanced chest possible. If you typically gravitate toward only one, however, you should begin incorporating both into your routine to get the most out of your chest-training efforts. From week to week, as you vary your working angles, try alternating between using the barbell and dumbbells on exercises.

Which do you do?

www.fitnessparadiseworld.com

Thanks for the post.....variation is key. I mostly do barbell.

i stick with mostly barbell offseason and dumbell during prepping

Originally posted on M&F.com

>> Final thought: If you traditionally do both barbell and dumbbell presses for chest development, keep it up. The combination of both barbell and dumbbell work increases muscular development throughout the whole pec and shoulder area, giving you the most balanced chest possible. If you typically gravitate toward only one, however, you should begin incorporating both into your routine to get the most out of your chest-training efforts. From week to week, as you vary your working angles, try alternating between using the barbell and dumbbells on exercises.

Which do you do?

www.fitnessparadiseworld.com

I use DC training, so one day its dumbell, another day its barbell, and another it Hammer machine. The only thing about barbell is to go really heavy a spotter is required and for dumbell, not so much. So if I cannot find a spotter and cannot go as heavy, does that negate all of this then?

I use DC training, so one day its dumbell, another day its barbell, and another it Hammer machine. The only thing about barbell is to go really heavy a spotter is required and for dumbell, not so much. So if I cannot find a spotter and cannot go as heavy, does that negate all of this then?

exactly! this is why I tend to use Dumbbells more, but I know i have to start using the BB sooner or later. I train solo, so I don't wanna get pinned with the BB. I could always use the smith machine, but I want to start hitting the incline BB press for real!!:)

dumbbells crushes barbells for upperbody IMO, but barbell work is still needed, 2:1 ratio for example

I mostly use BB but like to use DB now and then, usually when my training partner can't make it.

dumbbells crushes barbells for upperbody IMO, but barbell work is still needed, 2:1 ratio for example
i disagree, i never ever ever ever do dumbell work except maybe for the ocassional dumbell fly, but never for my main pressing excersise. I can easily out grow the dumbell rack, i will NEVER outgrow the barbell.

bb is the meat of my chest work. i throw in db every once in a while for change.

Barbells are how I grew my chest. Once I seperated my shoulder I can only do dumbells for the most part. Personally, I think they are both effective for growth.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
locoslave
NapsGear