over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Talk to my boy about guns

method2madness

Registered
This is not a political thing at all, I'm simply looking for some opinions on when you guys think it's appropriate to start talking to my children about why daddy has a gun in the house. If you feel that this is political for you please PM me, otherwise any and all opinions are welcome.

This is not a political thing at all, I'm simply looking for some opinions on when you guys think it's appropriate to start talking to my children about why daddy has a gun in the house. If you feel that this is political for you please PM me, otherwise any and all opinions are welcome.

As a firearms instructor I firmly believe that educating children about guns is the biggest factor in keeping them safe around guns.
If a child is curious about guns then they will seek them out to quench that curiosity the first chance they get.
Have he weapon out and give a little "class" on what it is , what it's for and if they are at all interested in it then take them shooting , and if at any time they ask about it make it a point to stop and answer their questions.
It's been proven time and time again that children that are brought up around guns where they are allowed to interact with gun they are far less likely to "play" with a gun when they find one but children that are raised where guns are demonized and taught that guns are bad and dangerous are more likely to play with a gun when they find one.
Honesty is the biggest factor , if the gun is for protection then explain that , if it's for hunting explain that.

My 15 and 11 yr/old daughters have been to the range with me multiple times. Wife balked at first.
11 yr/old can only shoot .22 (range rules). 15 yr/old is getting pretty accurate with the 9 & 45.
They both know how to strip & clean as well.
It's a must for me knowing they can defend themselves.

As a firearms instructor I firmly believe that educating children about guns is the biggest factor in keeping them safe around guns.
If a child is curious about guns then they will seek them out to quench that curiosity the first chance they get.
Have he weapon out and give a little "class" on what it is , what it's for and if they are at all interested in it then take them shooting , and if at any time they ask about it make it a point to stop and answer their questions.
It's been proven time and time again that children that are brought up around guns where they are allowed to interact with gun they are far less likely to "play" with a gun when they find one but children that are raised where guns are demonized and taught that guns are bad and dangerous are more likely to play with a gun when they find one.
Honesty is the biggest factor , if the gun is for protection then explain that , if it's for hunting explain that.
What age though, in your opinion as a firearm instructor? I get there isn’t a set age, every kid develops differently, etc etc.

But if you HAD to give a number, when would it be?

I took my boys shooting when they were in grade school. I showed them my guns, let them handle them, and stressed they were not a toy. This probably started around 3rd grade give or take a year.
The key is to make them so familiar with firearms that it ceases to be a curiosity thing and becomes a healthy interest item. As it turns out one is still interested, the other could care less....

I have a Glock 19 for home defense. My autistic son isn't cognitively capable yet to understand but my 6 year old is a perceptive kid. I think I'm going to have the talk with him soon. Thanks guys.

In my opinion when they're strong enough to rack the slide and hold the gun steady.
Education is the key as Gunsmith mentioned.

What age though, in your opinion as a firearm instructor? I get there isn’t a set age, every kid develops differently, etc etc.

But if you HAD to give a number, when would it be?

My son was familiar with what guns were , where they were and what they were for once he was getting around good , I'd say 3 , he it his first 22 for Christmas just a few months after his 4th birthday , he was running drills with his own G17 at 8 and hats mostly because he couldn't grip the weapon well before that. Obviously this is a major exception due to me spending a couple days a month with classes and shooting several thousand rounds per month.
But , if a gun is going to be in a house then children need to understand what it is and why.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210113-203655.png
    Screenshot_20210113-203655.png
    866.5 KB · Views: 27
I have a Glock 19 for home defense. My autistic son isn't cognitively capable yet to understand but my 6 year old is a perceptive kid. I think I'm going to have the talk with him soon. Thanks guys.
(Not knowing your older son's condition)
I will say that some children with special needs ranging from ADD&ADHD to down syndrome to paraplegics actually do very well with shooting. It's something that requires alit of focus and very very few kids (when shown properly) don't really enjoy shooting , especially with reactivate targets.
There are a few small bolt action and single shot 22's out there they will fit very small kids. They are small and easy to handle ,no recoil or muzzle blast and near zero recoil so it doesn't scare them.

(Not knowing your older son's condition)
I will say that some children with special needs ranging from ADD&ADHD to down syndrome to paraplegics actually do very well with shooting. It's something that requires alit of focus and very very few kids (when shown properly) don't really enjoy shooting , especially with reactivate targets.
There are a few small bolt action and single shot 22's out there they will fit very small kids. They are small and easy to handle ,no recoil or muzzle blast and near zero recoil so it doesn't scare them.
I will likely introduce my older son to the subject but as of now he is a 9 year old boy with the developmental abilities of a 5 or 6 year old. He's coming along so for him it's not a matter of if, but when. With my younger guy (6) I'll be talking to him very soon.

I would say before the whole video game phase, that way they actually don't get the wrong idea to start with.

Also don't start your story with:

"So anyway, I started blasting..."

Man...my dad had me shooting a BB gun when I was 5 maybe?? I remember in the evenings he’d take out the long guns and teach me all about them. Let me hold them, work the action, or the pump.

long story short, mom has a picture of me and dad when I was 7, with a single shot .410 and 2 dead squirrels

When I was 10 along with most boys in PA, we learn to shoot with a 22 rifle. We also took safety courses and we were taught to be responsible with any weapon. Pennsylvania is a deer hunting state and most kids go out with their fathers hunting.

I would say before the whole video game phase, that way they actually don't get the wrong idea to start with.

Also don't start your story with:

"So anyway, I started blasting..."
Yea my 8 y/o son started playing fortnite 🙄 over the summer and prior to that had never been interested on my guns and was actually afraid. Now after playing that damn game he wants to see them all the time so I've had to start teaching him. I have high quality replica gas blowback airsoft M4 and G17 I may start him on, that i use to run drills with at home. I may start him on these as they function and feel like real firearms and have close to the same recoil as .22lr. But fa sheesus is right, I think these shooter games enhance their interest and give them the wrong ideas about firearms.

AS young as you see fit that they are able to comprehend, respect, etc. Doesn't mean they need to touch them yet, only be informed.
We started as kids (like 8 years old) the right way, friends Dad 1st w/ BB guns, then w/ 22's and gun safety courses (back in the 70's).

Pellet rifle
22LR

all good starter weapons. Then dad got me a .243 and a Remington 20g andall I wanted to do was go in the woods and hunt.

now I have so many guns people would think I’m a doomsday prepper

My son was familiar with what guns were , where they were and what they were for once he was getting around good , I'd say 3 , he it his first 22 for Christmas just a few months after his 4th birthday , he was running drills with his own G17 at 8 and hats mostly because he couldn't grip the weapon well before that. Obviously this is a major exception due to me spending a couple days a month with classes and shooting several thousand rounds per month.
But , if a gun is going to be in a house then children need to understand what it is and why.
Awesome. I think a shared interest like that is every fathers dream.

When my son was very young, i put the unloaded Glock 19 on the floor. I let him fool around with it for a bit, he lost interest in 5 min. Took the mystery out. Then as he got older i just taught him its just a tool like a hammer. Its not good or evil, the person who wields it determines that. Then i just taught him how to handle weapons safely. Safety comes first. Never point a firearm at anything unless you intend to destroy it. Some of you fellas here this is SOP. As he got older i brought him to Black Water a few times, a tactical driving course, etc. You dont have to be a gun nut to do these things, but i feel this type of education is missing in todays children. Boys and Girls. In fact, ive had GFs who never shot and werent interested but as soon as i introduced these things, they loved doing them together.

When my son was very young, i put the unloaded Glock 19 on the floor. I let him fool around with it for a bit, he lost interest in 5 min. Took the mystery out. Then as he got older i just taught him its just a tool like a hammer. Its not good or evil, the person who wields it determines that. Then i just taught him how to handle weapons safely. Safety comes first. Never point a firearm at anything unless you intend to destroy it. Some of you fellas here this is SOP. As he got older i brought him to Black Water a few times, a tactical driving course, etc. You dont have to be a gun nut to do these things, but i feel this type of education is missing in todays children. Boys and Girls. In fact, ive had GFs who never shot and werent interested but as soon as i introduced these things, they loved doing them together.

This is how my dad raised me. The same went for blades and other sharp things. They're tools, not weapons. To hurt someone with them never crossed our minds

I've also gotten lots of girls interested in shooting...way more than I am, actually

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws