over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Tapering off BP meds(toprol xl)

GoneForever

Banned
So when my Dr. prescibed me 25mg toprol xl to take every night, im a bit concered that he didnt tell me after a few weeks if I decide to stop taking them to taper down. Isnt this crucial with BP meds. Maybe since im on a baby dose of this stuff thats why he didnt but im shocked. Basically I wanted to try and get my BP down by myself but its not working as well as I thought so I may just take the toprol he gave me. My bp has dropped but its still always sitting around mid 140's/mid-high 80's and im sure this is due to me weighing 250lbs. Im only on hrt and my diet has been better than it ever has yet the bp isnt getting where i want it which would be low 130's/high 70's at the most, so im gonna try the toprol at 25mg and if that doesnt solve it then ill just have to deal with it cuz im not upping the bp med dose. So, if I do take this stuff for a few weeks or months and decide I wanna stop, should I taper it off by taking one pill EOD for a week then E3rd day for a week or maybe split them in half and take ED? Whats best. Thanks

Best advice is to talk to your doc.......you can google the med and it gives all kinds of info.I'm on trt also and my Hematocrit is high(side effect) causing HBP.......When I get off trt the BP meds start to bring my pressure too low as my blood thins so I cut back on the dosage and keep my doc informed of my pressures.sometimes he changes meds. Hope this helps.
Peace,GF

I take the same medication and my bp stays about normal. I have tried a few times to do the same as you but I just have high blood pressure and once you start taking the medicine it is very hard to stop. I always felt horrible after about a week, so now I just accept it.

My guess is that he didn't tell you to taper down because 25 mg is about the lowest dose they prescribe. I was on 200 mg at one point and they had me taper down by cutting 25 mg every 3-4 days. Going from 25 mg to zero is nothing like dropping 100 mg immediately. I'm not a doctor, but I don't believe there is a problem with just stopping the 25 if you should decide to. Good luck!

I just talked to a cardiologist and he said that only 25mg of toprol will probably not lower my bp at all. He said the doc probably just gave it to me to control my heart paps, b/c that does will lower my HR a bit, but im not even having heart paps anymore, so I wonder if its even worth using 25mg if it has no effect on BP or does it?

I quit taking mine altogether. When my cardio asked me if it was because I was tired. I said yes. He said that it was no big deal because toporal wasn't really necessary. He just prescribed it because a large number of people seem to do better on it in the long run. Not for any particular reason. That was two years ago. I haven't taken it since.

Just keep dialing in the diet by eliminating or reducing foods that make you retain water. Keep doing the cardio too. It's vital to controlling BP. Montitor your BP on a regular basis but don't let it mess with your head if it's up a bit. No caffeine or other stimulants either. Be persistent and the effort will pay off.

PB

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
methyl m1ke