over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Tattoos and competing

Chris_Befoul

Registered
I plan to compete at some point but I'm wondering if someone can let me know if tattoos would hurt someone's chances of winning a show.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Depends. A spot job here and there didn't hurt Dorian. I have full coverage on my upper left arm, left delt completely covered, around to my upper back and left side of pec. Never thought I would be on a bodybuiding stage when I was getting it all done. A good tan obscures it, but there is a little scarring involved that blurs the delt striations, for sure. I'm sure it has cost me in the form of lower placings, not to mention whatever the judges' opinions of tatts were.
Most aggravating was in '97... Cory Everson promoted a show in Birmingham Alabama that I did. She emceed the night show herself, and made a classless smartass remark about my tatoos as I left the stage after my routine at the night show.

there is products out there that can cover it up and then spray tan over.....never would know you had one.

I've talked to a few IFBB pros about this, some of them with ink, and they have all said it doesn't really matter because most people have them.

I like tattoos, but have noticed that they sometimes get in the way of seeing the competitors actual body/lines. I remember one guy that had tattoo sleeves plus his entire back was covered , and all it did was cover up his shape....

Last edited:
Unless there so detailed that they cover up definition and the shape of the muscle it shouldn't be too bad for your placing.

Just go a bit darker with your tan before the show and that should cover up any tats that you have.

Areas with complete coverage have a bit of scarring that thickens the skin. It can and will make those areas not as crisp looking, no matter how you tan them.

i never got tattoos

...cuz i thought i was going to be an actor/model.
and ended up a bodybuilder lol.
either way glad i didnt get tats.

thought about tattooing our wedding rings on...but i'm not crazy:D
-JS

I get asked this question often. Whether I judge National or Pro shows there always seems to be contestants who want to win but they have tatts which make it impossible to see the detailed definition of the tie ins muscle bellies, etc. most tatts are cool and ok on stage but it seems the really dark ones and sleeves make it the hardest to judge. I think tatts are cool,myself, but I and other judges have counted off many points due to tatts which I described. If you are serious and want to get to the top be very careful where and how dark the tatts are. Look at the top Olympians like Wolf and see if they have any distracting tatts so that you understand . I'm judging the Arnold next week and hopefully none of the top guys have distracting tatts ; at that level they all need every point they can get to beat their competitor...hope this helped..
Mike
HTML:

Depending on who's judging,,,honestly,,it probably could.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Atomgear
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws