over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Tattoos and Getting Bigger

dieselbuilder

Board Supporter
Registered
Board Supporter
Fellas, lately I have been wanting a new tattoo on my shoulder. I currently have 2 medium sized pieces on my shoulder blades.

The debacle is over whether or not getting bigger will stretch out the tattoo if I get it on my shoulder. I only plan on putting on another 20-30lbs (slowly, not gonna be using abombs or anything) over time and I do not want it to stretch and have it look like crap.

I figure if I do it slowly I should be alright... does anyone have any experience with this or know what is up?

as always,
thanks
DB

I have a tattoo on my shoulder. It didn't stretch as I got older but it is now too far back, towards the rear of the shoulder and not centered as it was when I got it.

I have a tattoo on my shoulder. It didn't stretch as I got older but it is now too far back, towards the rear of the shoulder and not centered as it was when I got it.

From getting bigger, right? Not aging....?

I think it depends on what your getting and where you put it. Like, if you are getting a "face" or something like that and you grow, it might look odd but any kind of design, you should be fine.

I started getting tatted when I was 15...I've gone up, down and all around in body size and shape, no stretching or distortion...Only thing different from then to now is the ink has faded out.....

yea i was thinking about a pic of my grandfather and i when i was an infant. there would be fine lines and obviously involving both of our faces. so keeping it the same as a grow is a huge concern for me no pun intended. maybe i should just wait till i get to my desired size and then get it done.

the best person to ask this question would be the tattoo artist doing the work. They don't want their art to look like shit over time so if they think its a bad spot they'll for sure let you know.

From getting bigger, right? Not aging....?

Yep, getting bigger. When I first got the tattoo I was around 200, now I'm 230 or so. With less of a belly. When I was powerlifting I really neglected the rear and side delts, all shoulder work was bench and tricep work.

I should add that my wife is constantly telling me to get an arm band, I keep replying that someday it may be a wrist band and not look right...:eek:

I have one that shifted off center due to weight gain. Its not too noticable though

I have two on my back and three on my arms, I have gone from 230-250-225 since I have gotten then, so far so good.....I dont think it would effect that much if in certain areas.

You should be fine, as long as it's done by a solid artist and you weight swings aren't crazy dramatic

I have extensive work and my weight has gone +/- 60lbs, it's still fine

I started getting tatted when I was 15...I've gone up, down and all around in body size and shape, no stretching or distortion...Only thing different from then to now is the ink has faded out.....

Yeah I wouldnt worry much. Typically worst case is the ink fading over time.

I can't comment on what would happen to your shoulders, but i can say that my older brother added several inches to his arms since he got a tattoo around one of them and there's no distorting.

Last edited:
Henry Rollins' BLACK FLAG bars on his left outer arm have noticeably (slightly) changed in width from 1980 vs the early 90's. The end result didn't look strange or anything.

Actually had this concern when I was like 15 and wanted to get my first tat. I asked my Doc one day and explained I planned on Powerlifting and Bodybuilding, and adding another 6-8" on my arm in my life. He said it would most definitely stretch and distort. But that is the extreme case, going from a small normal body to massive.. if youve already got size, then it wouldn't be as noticeable.

As of today I have = 0 tats

Other than some fading from being in the sun, my tats haven't moved or changed at all.

But now I think they are starting to fuck-up my age spots and wrinkles :D

ok. i am a professional tattoo artist. everyone is pretty much on point that you should be ok. one thing i will stress though is that after you get a new tat you should wait 4-5 days up to 7 days, before getting back to the gym. there are a couple reasons for this. first is that you don't want to expose your new open tattoo to all the various bacteria at the gym. sweating should be avoided as it keeps the tattoo too moist for a prolonged period of time causing the scabs to swell and get all screwy. the stretching and the pumps can open the fresh tattoo causing it to bleed again or to start seeping, either of which can cause your tattoo to heal poorly. and when you shower with a fresh tat don't let the water spray directly on it and no sun or uv light for the first 2 weeks. many people don't realize that good care of the tattoo for the first 2 weeks is essential to help keep your new tattoo looking good for the longest amount of time.

yes i work at a studio in akron and i do portraits, i also do portraits in oil paints on canvas. if you neded any further help about tattoos pm me.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
12cc
NapsGear