over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Techniques to increase Bench Press

Didn't read everyone's response, but my advice is simple: Bench press more. You're not going to increase your bench press by using some crazy exercise. It's like saying, "If you want to get better at playing basketball, you should play hockey."

Compound lifts are a skill. Improve the skill through repeated motor patterns.

On a side note, strengthening triceps would aid in overall pressing strength. So I would incorporate floor presses, close grip bench, and dips.

Im gonna have to partially disagree with you here. Training the movement is not necessarily the best way to increase weight. Look at west side for example....lots of good squatters there, but during training the do very little regular old free weight squats. What they do do is lots of box squatting, good mornings, pull throughs, reverse hypers and other things. Then come competition day they hit their max squats. Youre only as good as your weakest link and bringing up that posterior chain and stuff is the best way to increase the squat

Im gonna have to partially disagree with you here. Training the movement is not necessarily the best way to increase weight. Look at west side for example....lots of good squatters there, but during training the do very little regular old free weight squats. What they do do is lots of box squatting, good mornings, pull throughs, reverse hypers and other things. Then come competition day they hit their max squats. Youre only as good as your weakest link and bringing up that posterior chain and stuff is the best way to increase the squat
I completely agree with you. I think you may have mistook my point (which is easy to do as I'm a scattered thinker at times lol).

Training the movement pattern more frequently is at the forefront of improving technique. That includes variations of the movement. Just like WBB they use variations of the lift and auxiliary lifts that strengthen surrounding muscle groups. IE - good mornings, box squats, etc for squats. Close grip for bench. Deficit deads for deadlift, etc.

But yes, doing a lift (properly) more frequently, will help. This is not saying MAX effort on those days :D

seriousness...???

if you want bigger numbers on bench pressing.....

start deadlifting.....

most don't realize how those lower erector
muscles play a huge role in bench technique....

ever see those power lifters curl their lower backs up...???
they never lay flat on the bench....

they are essentially creating a "spring like" effort from the core
to create more power....lats play a huge role in bench press as well.

ever get those last few reps out, and feel it in your lower back...???:lightbulb:

want a bigger bench.....???
technique.....and deadlifts.....

:cool:

Last edited:
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHx1gYTA-Rw"]EliteFTS.com - So You Think You Can Bench (Part 1) - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-WgUJbtiLY"]EliteFTS.com - So You Think You Can Bench (Part 2) - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHG8PFBBCnc&t=17s"]EliteFTS.com - So You Think You Can Bench (Part 3) - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgb-TDul0kc&t=23s"]EliteFTS.com - So You Think You Can Bench (Part 4) - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otHqDLBi1VE&t=24s"]EliteFTS.com - So You Think You Can Bench (Part 5) - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qj4qt3mCcDQ&t=19s"]EliteFTS.com - So You Think You Can Bench (Part 6) - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LaYf4KrC1E&t=73s"]EliteFTS.com - So You Think You Can Bench (Part 7) - YouTube[/ame]

If you aren't powerlifting, then IMO there's no point to go below 5 reps.
You just need to find yourself a good progressive overload program and hammer that hard. Simple as that. Throw some rest pause stuff in too.

Also there is no need to do paused reps, pin presses, dead presses, etc IF YOU AREN'T POWERLIFTING. Those exercises are specialization pressing movements to hit different areas and increase explosiveness. Plus—most of them are the most beneficial in the lower rep range (which you shouldn't touch).

If you are barely bench 245x8...you just need regular progressive overload man.
Choose 3 chest exercises and rotate them every work out. Hit 2 sets of failure in the 6-12 range. When you come back to that same exercise 2-3 weeks later, make sure you beat the reps or have increased the weight. DONE.

BigMatt:

In my younger days I used the negative only workouts described in Alfresco's comment to break through plateaus and increase strength. It was like a "secret weapon" I could pull out when I was stuck. It did take a couple of dedicated guys to help me, but they just ended up following the leader.

I've no idea why it works. It may be placebo effect for me because I absolutely believe it works. Once I made my breakthrough I never went backwards unless I quit training. Admittedly almost everytime I did it I was "super supplementing".

As a caveat, I never got as strong as most on here. I have pretty long arms and pretty short effort level. As long as I could do 315 8 or ten times I never worried about the rest.

Due to injuries, get older, changing goals, I no longer bench.

PWood

seriousness...???

if you want bigger numbers on bench pressing.....

start deadlifting.....

most don't realize how those lower erector
muscles play a huge role in bench technique....

ever see those power lifters curl their lower backs up...???
they never lay flat on the bench....

they are essentially creating a "spring like" effort from the core
to create more power....lats play a huge role in bench press as well.

ever get those last few reps out, and feel it in your lower back...???:lightbulb:

want a bigger bench.....???
technique.....and deadlifts.....

:cool:

Exactly. Guys like Matt Wenning and other very well known powerlifters stress the importance of doing twice as much upper back work as you do pressing movements. Lots of face pulls, rowing movements, various pulldowns and other things to strengthen the back and like you said allow the last to assist in the benching

My gains came from chains. Instead of buying online I went to a farm supply and bought the chain myself and made them.

negatice only training works because your actually stronger when the muscle is Lengthing than when it is contracting. It allows you to go much heavier than what you could complete a rep with (duh). This causes much more micro-trauma to the actual muscle tissue.

Dante preached this for years, ending the set with a nasty ass negative. Also, that's another reason why picking exercises that at the end of sets you can add a little "body English" to get the weight up then fight it down is good finishers

For a big bench, bands and chains do wonders. Benching 2x a week (heavy/speed) works well. At my best, I hit 455lbs in competition at 221lbs. I did do 470lbs once, but that was touch and go and I was around 238-240lbs

negatice only training works because your actually stronger when the muscle is Lengthing than when it is contracting. It allows you to go much heavier than what you could complete a rep with (duh). This causes much more micro-trauma to the actual muscle tissue.

Dante preached this for years, ending the set with a nasty ass negative. Also, that's another reason why picking exercises that at the end of sets you can add a little "body English" to get the weight up then fight it down is good finishers

For a big bench, bands and chains do wonders. Benching 2x a week (heavy/speed) works well. At my best, I hit 455lbs in competition at 221lbs. I did do 470lbs once, but that was touch and go and I was around 238-240lbs
Yep....maximum effort and dynamic effort days

Take steroids

For me it was reading a lot of westside barbell articles. ME and DE days. Bands. Board Lockouts.

My bench increased about 200lbs in 3 years but then tore both labrums..

Take steroids

For me it was reading a lot of westside barbell articles. ME and DE days. Bands. Board Lockouts.

My bench increased about 200lbs in 3 years but then tore both labrums..

was it worth it....???

my opinion . . .

negatice only training works because your actually stronger when the muscle is Lengthing than when it is contracting. It allows you to go much heavier than what you could complete a rep with (duh). This causes much more micro-trauma to the actual muscle tissue

Yes, in negative training (eccentric), you are stronger than in the concentric. This is because of muscular friction.
(Anything that moves encounters friction.) It helps you in the eccentric, ‘hurts’ you in the concentric. That is why
you can lower more weight than you can lift.

I know nothing about “negatives cause more micro-trauma.”

BigMatt:
In my younger days I used the negative only workouts described in Alfresco's comment to break through plateaus and increase strength. It was like a "secret weapon" I could pull out when I was stuck. It did take a couple of dedicated guys to help me, but they just ended up following the leader.

I've no idea why it works. It may be placebo effect for me because I absolutely believe it works. Once I made my breakthrough I never went backwards unless I quit training. Admittedly almost everytime I did it I was "super supplementing".

As a caveat, I never got as strong as most on here. I have pretty long arms and pretty short effort level. As long as I could do 315 8 or ten times I never worried about the rest.

Due to injuries, get older, changing goals, I no longer bench.

Peckerwood
PWood

Thanks for chiming in Peckerwood and for having the maturity and experience to try negative only training.
I think the way you used it was pretty wise.

I have never used negative only training on the bench press because, like I said before, I think it is a very
dangerous, injury producing exercise.

But I have used negative only in chins and dips. Did not need spotters, just something to stand on to eliminate
the positive, concentric portion of the exercise.

Negatives allowed me to, eventually, do 10 reps with 110 lbs. in chins behind the neck using a parallel grip
(I designed and built special handles that attached to chin-up bar) and do 12 reps with 130 lbs. when performing
dips. Both exercises were performed in a positive / negative fashion. And I credit negative only training to getting
me there.

Negative only training will initially make you incredibly sore as it is, with few exceptions, the eccentric portion
of an exercise that produces muscular soreness and it is that portion of the exercise that that is largely responsible
for an increase in muscular size. You will not get the same results utilizing just concentric training.

was it worth it....???

If I could do it again I would focus more on bodybuilding and less on powerlifting. I also would have stopped at 405.

If you use the techniques that power lifters use they will most likely carry over. What is your weak point.Triceps, shoulder or chest? Then strengthen them. Try changing your rep pattern that may help.

What has worked for me is training chest twice a week as switching up my workouts every 3rd week. Week one, Monday I go heavy and stay between 3 and 10 reps per set. Dumbells only. I have gotten away from barbell due to two shoulder injuries. Dumbells have allowed me to tweet my grip and positioning. Week on, Friday I use cables and ancillaries to develop my chest with high reps and little rest. Both days I really concentrate on the squeeze and mind/muscle connection and use controlled movements at all times to really emphasize on the pump and stretch the fascia. This really taken my development not only on my chest but all body parts to the next level with both strength and size. I implement the same protocol with all of body parts and it has been quite successful. Just my personal experience which has helped me stay healthy and injury free. Of course lots of stretching mostly after workout is huge help as well.

My gains came from chains. Instead of buying online I went to a farm supply and bought the chain myself and made them.

Can you elaborate? Interested in chains but never knew if they were worth it.

I wrap my elbows with knee wraps sometimes to help move more weight. Kind of same principle as the slingshot...the difference is with the slingshot it lessens load on the pecs....the primary mover....with elbow wraps it helps lessen the load on the triceps...so what happens is you end up overloading the pectorals and they strengthen accordingly. Big success with this technique (I have benched 565 raw) (not a powerlifter either)

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear