over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Teenager Training

the_iron_giant

Newbies
Hi all,

I have a 13 year old son....BIG kid...naturally strong. He wants badly to hit the gym. I know, teach him basics...form etc. Any thoughts on training frequency?

I would start with 4 weeks of "conditioning" to gauge where he is and how his body handles the training. Use a 3 day split and have him take note of how he feels. If he trains legs on Monday and they're still tender on Friday you'll have some info to help you better determine how he should be training and what the frequency should be.

And obviously focus on teaching on him "why" as much as "how"/"what"

I wouldnt jump straight into weight lifting. Basics first like sit ups push ups pull ups, some wall squats. After a couple wks move to resistance band training to train for about 6 wks than move to weights.
Should make good progress never lifting before without using weights at first

so let him go bro!!!!!....

if you tell him he can do something.
hes gonna do it behind your back.

best thing for him is the old high school workouts.

power cleans.
deadlifts.
bench.

compound movements.

does he play football...???

:cool:

I worked with my son on Riptoe's Starting Strength when he was the same age. We were meticulous with form. Very good beginner's program that builds a solid foundation.

and yet another opinion

My so called evidence is all anecdotal and tells me that he should not start training with weights
until he is older. How much older I don’t know but at least until he starts shaving, grows underarm
and pubic hair and his voice changes. Then wait a bit. I would actually request a complete blood test
now and annually moving forward. They will be valuable reference points. You will thank me later.

Until then he can and should do all the controlled bodyweight exercise he desires . . . squats (100 reps),
chins, dips, pushups (100 reps), etc. His body (and you) will ultimately govern his frequency and intensity.

My opinion would be to avoid bench presses like the plague. Same with any ballistic movement
movements like Olympic lifts and heavy deadlifts. For the time being, I would stick with safe controlled
compound bodyweight movements and avoid those I mentioned above.

All of which reminds me of Balanchine's views on the importance of proper training, captured in
his 1945 essay, "Notes on Choreography," He certainly recognized the physical vulnerability of children:
“Even with eight- or nine-year-old children, we must always keep in mind the fact that their bones
are still soft and their muscles (particularly the ones around the knee) are still unformed. For this
reason one should never force the feet of children to attain perfect ballet positions, nor insist on
their making an effort to turn out their legs.”

While you son is not that young or engaged in the same activity, but I think his principle holds true
with his respect of youth, their exuberance and the long term effects of any physical training when
starting at an early age.

To wrap this up . . . if he is as big and as strong as you say he does (not doubting) he may not need
much in the way of strength training. What are his goals would be a question I would ask first.

There is plenty of time to engage in weight training . . . time is on his side . . . but knowing me at his
age, that sort of talk meant nothing.

I am sure you are a great Dad and will ultimately make the right choice for you son.

Hope helps.

My so called evidence is all anecdotal and tells me that he should not start training with weights
until he is older. How much older I don’t know but at least until he starts shaving, grows underarm
and pubic hair and his voice changes. Then wait a bit. I would actually request a complete blood test
now and annually moving forward. They will be valuable reference points. You will thank me later.

Until then he can and should do all the controlled bodyweight exercise he desires . . . squats (100 reps),
chins, dips, pushups (100 reps), etc. His body (and you) will ultimately govern his frequency and intensity.

My opinion would be to avoid bench presses like the plague. Same with any ballistic movement
movements like Olympic lifts and heavy deadlifts. For the time being, I would stick with safe controlled
compound bodyweight movements and avoid those I mentioned above.

All of which reminds me of Balanchine's views on the importance of proper training, captured in
his 1945 essay, "Notes on Choreography," He certainly recognized the physical vulnerability of children:
“Even with eight- or nine-year-old children, we must always keep in mind the fact that their bones
are still soft and their muscles (particularly the ones around the knee) are still unformed. For this
reason one should never force the feet of children to attain perfect ballet positions, nor insist on
their making an effort to turn out their legs.”

While you son is not that young or engaged in the same activity, but I think his principle holds true
with his respect of youth, their exuberance and the long term effects of any physical training when
starting at an early age.

To wrap this up . . . if he is as big and as strong as you say he does (not doubting) he may not need
much in the way of strength training. What are his goals would be a question I would ask first.

There is plenty of time to engage in weight training . . . time is on his side . . . but knowing me at his
age, that sort of talk meant nothing.

I am sure you are a great Dad and will ultimately make the right choice for you son.

Hope helps.

This myth has been dispelled by numerous studies. Weight lifting does not stunt growth.

OP - Mine loves lifting after just a short time. I have him doing a modified Madcow/Starting Strength. No cleans. Just Bench, squats, deads, and assisted pullups, and doing 5 sets of the top weight, not the 1 max set. Most important thing is start with very light weight, impeccable form, and very slow increases in weight. Just think...if they only increase 5 lbs a month, that's still 60 lbs a year...pretty dang strong after a few years.

Shit take him to the gym with you get him lifting. I started lifting at around the same age. Had to very much older brothers and a weight bench in the shop with tons of dumbbells and a barbell. Even had a make shift pull up bar. 2×4 screwed in at the doorway lol. Young is good teach him good form and healthy habits.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Hi all,

I have a 13 year old son....BIG kid...naturally strong. He wants badly to hit the gym. I know, teach him basics...form etc. Any thoughts on training frequency?

Have him do high reps 12-15, don't go heavy. You don't want the growth platelets closing too early. Is he a tall kid?

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
astar
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131