over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Telmisartan +Hctz

Dipp20

Registered
Newbies
Has anyone tried a mild diuretic like hctz in addition to Telmisartan?

Im currently taking 40mg Telmisartan but my potassium gets ridicously high at 80mg and I'm looking for a solution. My doc prescribed 80mg/12,5mg Telmisartan+HCTZ.

80mg? What does this mean?
Blood K+ range is 3.5-5.0 (mmol/L)

Yup. 80mg of Telmisartan

I always forget which of the diuretics push which electrolytes out (Na+, K+, etc)

If your doctor prescribing you a potassium sparing diuretics; why isn’t he checking your K levels? That’s a horrible doctor

I’d talk to him or look for another

So it should pair well with Telmisartan based on this below. Perhaps this is why the combo is often Rx’d(?).

“Hydrochlorothiazide acts on the distal convoluted tubules and inhibits the sodium chloride co-transporter system. This action leads to a diuretic action which lowers blood pressure, but there is also a loss of potassium in the urine.”

If your doctor prescribing you a potassium sparing diuretics; why isn’t he checking your K levels? That’s a horrible doctor

I’d talk to him or look for another
HCTZ is not potassium sparing

dyazide (probably what you’re thinking of)is HCTZ with triamterene. triamterene is potassium sparing

He is checking my potassium levels, also last time he put me on 80mg Telmisartan a day it went so high (5,8 and above) that I got heart arrythmia. So this time we are trying the new combination to combat the high potassium.

If anyone has any experience with HTCZ feel free to share.

you wont feel very much from the HTCZ.
Before my current medication i was on candesartan + htcz (32/12,5).
I took a half of it daily. Potassium slightly dropped but if i remember right only about 0.2 points.
Ive never had issues in the past regarding my potassium, even with a full dosage of candesartan (also an ARB) without HTCZ.
You are not taking any potassium supplements, correct? I would check every multi etc. i take for potassium.

HCTZ is not potassium sparing

dyazide (probably what you’re thinking of)is HCTZ with triamterene. triamterene is potassium sparing
You’re right.. I read it fast.

he still needs his K checked

You are not taking any potassium supplements, correct? I would check every multi etc. i take for potassium.

Agreed. Also important if due to your BP, your are eating an any low sodium spices or foods as they typically replace the salt w K-Chloride.

Some keto and vegan products use soy as well. Soy can have high K+ levels.

I take HTCZ … 12.5 a day now was at 25…
Don’t feel much .. unless I take it in the evening then I’m peeing thru the night , I try to always take it between 11am-2pm..

I keep my amino acids and electrolytes high tho to help

I take HTCZ … 12.5 a day now was at 25…
Don’t feel much .. unless I take it in the evening then I’m peeing thru the night , I try to always take it between 11am-2pm..

I keep my amino acids and electrolytes high tho to help
Thanks for sharing your knowledge. My doc as well said to take it earlier in the day bc it will make me pee more for about 6 hours after taking it.

I took a half of it daily. Potassium slightly dropped but if i remember right only about 0.2 points.
Ive never had issues in the past regarding my potassium, even with a full dosage of candesartan (also an ARB) without HTCZ.
No, there is no added potassium as supplement or any potassium in my salt grinder or anything else.

Never cared for the potentially kidney unfriendly reports on HCTZ; albeit mild. Seems sort of counterintuitive to me to take BP meds that adversely impact the kidneys.

So, when I was prescribed Telmi/HCTZ (40/12.5), I switched to Telmi + herbal kidney supps that are inherently naturally diuretic and purportedly beneficial for kidney health.

Been doing this for 2 years. Bloods seem fine and while this is sort of a Guinea pig approach, intuitively I just feel better about this.

Probably a bit of paranoia as 12.5mg of HCTZ isn’t even that big of a deal.

Get kidney functions checked frequently when taking sartans plus HCTZ. I had kidney failure with high dose valsartan and 25 mg HCTZ after a couple years of taking those. Potassium was also sky high.

Since i take 80mg Telmisartan ed, I have never checked for potassium levels, maybe it's time to give a read...
On other hand, my kidneys values were always fine.

HCTZ btw should fix your issues with high potassium sine it's not potassium sparing, but at this point i would also add some salt to my diet.

Question, did you feel flat on the HCTZ at all? Was 12.5mg enough to handle GH edema?

Plan on adding it myself

I’m on Telmisartan but I’ve always declined the HCTZ due to potential kidney damage when used long term.

I use a mild OTC / herbal diuretic that as an added benefit, have some kidney health benefits as well.

I take 2@9am and 2@3pm (so I don’t wake up to pee).

Dr. Christopher's Original Formulas Kidney Formula Capsules, 475 mg, 100 Count https://a.co/d/5Kqbh2y

I don’t expect a whole lot of actual kidney protection but I’m sure it can’t hurt - and I take astragalus anyway.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Pdx236
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131