Telmisartan side effect

Elvia1023

Featured Member / Supp Guru / Board Supporter
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Board Supporter
Verified Customer
My bp became borderline high in the past (on cycle) so I added 80mg telmisartan. Within a few days I started getting a weird sensation in my chest. I figured due to the nature of the drug it would go away but after a few weeks it was still there so I stopped it. This is like nothing I have ever felt before and it freaked me out. It's hard to explain but a very weird feeling in my chest. At first I thought it may be some muscle weakness and the fact I trained chest a few days in very hard. The feeling soon went away after stopping the drug.

Move forward 6 months or so and because I never ordered carditone I figured let's try telmisartan again just to confirm. This time I used half the dose so 40mg. Within approx 5 days I get the exact same feeling. Due to where it is located it feels horrible. This time it's not as bad but I am using half the dose. I am giving it a few more weeks but if it doesn't go I will drop it for good. I am just curious if anyone has ever experienced anything similar? It's not a common side effect and there isn't much info on it online.

It's touted as a miracle drug on here with next to no bad side effects but this feeling you can't take lightly. I will give it a little more time but if it doesn't improve soon I will order carditone as that has always been good for me in the past.

Seriously, don’t use something that feels bad!!!!! There is no miracle drug!!!

Exactly. I will give it another week or so at this lower dose. If it doesn't go away it will be dropped. I should probably just drop it now but I want to give it a chance at 40mg. You are right though. Walking around thinking like you are about to have a heart attack is in no way good. I was given loads of it from a pharmacy and had hoped it would be side effect free. I forgot to mention the added fatigue is also a bad side effect but that was no surprise. Actually I will order carditone now and just rotate to that as that never gave me any issues whatsoever.

That is really freaking weird and scary. I'd ask if you knew if it was real but knowing you, you wouldn't end up with the wrong labeled product. Glad you're ok man

I should add some known side effects of telmisartan are a congested chest and muscle weakness or body aches. This is none of those things but very early on I did consider muscle weakness (chest).

I did briefly also try and find any possible connection to the drug and costochondritis but there doesn't seem to be any. I never expected there to be one but it was a train of thought I had as that was a big possibility looking at my symptoms.

The fact I went so long without any reoccurence of the symptoms for them to all come back a few days after restarting made it obvious it was connected to the drug.

One of the very few contraindications for ARBs is Aortic Stenosis. That's probably not it, but it may be worth seeing a cardiologist to rule out any structural anomalies of your heart. Developing this side effect from ARBs is definitely not normal and may indicate some underlying problem.

^^ My fiance is a nurse and she just stated exactly that. Especially if you run growth regularly.

One of the very few contraindications for ARBs is Aortic Stenosis. That's probably not it, but it may be worth seeing a cardiologist to rule out any structural anomalies of your heart. Developing this side effect from ARBs is definitely not normal and may indicate some underlying problem.

Hey man I read the opposite about ARB's being productive for AS after doing a google search reading your post. Where did you read about them being counter productive?

Here is what I dug up (first on stenosis and second on regurgitation, which go hand in hand usually)
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0735109711018341
https://www.medpagetoday.com/cardiology/chf/29359

^^ My fiance is a nurse and she just stated exactly that. Especially if you run growth regularly.

I have been planning a heart scan anyway. Just because I am curious but no issues. This issue is completely out of the ordinary.

As I posted above I did think it could be costochondritis as that can feel the same way for some sufferers. My doctor agreed but I can't find any evidence of a link between the two. The way I look at it even if it were a harmless reason that feeling is not good so that's why I wouldn't think twice about dropping it.

I don't really use hgh. Played about with it and similar things but usually for very short periods.

Everyone on here should get a heart scan if they can and I will try but that has nothing to do with this thread as I had it planned anyway. I am sure this is harmless but still bizarre.

I had a very uncomfortable sensation in my chest and had shortness of breath while using telma. I broke out in severe hIves all over my body and had terrible diarrhea. Turns out I was allergic to it so maybe you were starting the beginning stages of an allergy. Hives started about 1 month in and I stopped telma after 6 weeks. Diarrhea stopped days after discontinueing but the hives lasted for 2 months after stopping. Shortness of breath started soon after in started telma but I chalked it up to having higher bp at the time, but it got worse every time I upped the dose.

Last edited:
I had a very uncomfortable sensation in my chest and had shortness of breath while using telma. I broke out in severe hIves all over my body and had terrible diarrhea. Turns out I was allergic to it so maybe you were starting the beginning stages of an allergy. Hives started about 1 month in and I stopped telma after 6 weeks. Diarrhea stopped days after discontinueing but the hives lasted for 2 months after stopping. Shortness of breath started soon after in started telma but I chalked it up to having higher bp at the time, but it got worse every time I upped the dose.

Interesting. It could be that. I don't think I passed the 2 week mark last time and now it's about the same so I haven't been on it that long. I don't have anything you posted but it could be as you state. Well I am not going to give it a chance to build up now as last night was my last dose. Thanks for posting. I will just stick to carditone from now on.

What's the relationship between HGH and aortic stenosis? I haven't seen any studies like that. Do you mean excess growth or hormone replacement gh?

:yeahthat:

Up until a few years ago, no matter the sides, I still would have kept using something - anything - if I had thought (or rather been brainwashed into thinking :rolleyes:) it could help me reach my BB goals... which led me to feel extremely miserable more than I can remember... :eek::banghead:

Nowadays, if after three days on a supp or med whatever it is I clearly feel bad, I ditch it without a single regret... not enough time left on this earth anymore to allow myself to feel like crap so often as I did in the past... for, let's face it, absolutely no rational reason.

Last example was cardarine: it gave me the EXACT SAME CHEST PAIN you feel with Telmisartan, Elvia... in the bin, period. :cool:;)

The only pathological narrowing contradictions I've read on (Up to Date, Medscape and Epocrates) is bilateral renal artery stenosis. Not sure where you've read otherwise?

As for the adverse reactions? Hard to say with certainty. Doesn't fit the bill by your description of anaphylaxis.

Anything else you're taking Elvia that's influential on BP?

The only pathological narrowing contradictions I've read on (Up to Date, Medscape and Epocrates) is bilateral renal artery stenosis. Not sure where you've read otherwise?

The contraindication may be outdated. Recent data suggests ARBs are safe for a majority of patients with AS, but i think the theoretical concerns may still hold for some cases. I don't think that Elvia has this, I just wanted to give an example of some heart abnormality being a possible cause of such a super rare side effect to Telmisartan.

However, there is considerable reluctance to administer vasodilator treatment to patients with haemodynamically significant AS. While there is little firm evidence in the literature, vasodilator treatment is thought to be harmful as the stenotic aortic valve orifice may prevent an adequate increase in cardiac output resulting in coronary hypoperfusion and systemic hypotension. Therefore, there is a widely held belief that ACE inhibitors and other forms of vasodilator treatment are contraindicated in the setting of haemodynamically significant AS.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1769118/

Traditionally, antihypertensive agents were considered
contraindicated in AS. The rationale was that any reduction
in postvalvular cardiac afterload and systemic vascular resistance
could cause severe diastolic hypotension, resulting
in decreased myocardial perfusion and imbalance in
myocardial supply and demand.
[...]
With only 5 randomized trials (including a total of 185
treated patients) performed on ACE inhibitors/angiotensin
II receptor blockers (ARBs) in patients with AS, the
safety of RAAS inhibition in AS is not established
. It is
reassuring that the majority of patients, including patients
with LV dysfunction, tolerated ACE inhibitors without
significant hypotension or negative clinical impact
Further support for the safety of ACE inhibition in patients
with AS is provided by a substudy of the SEAS trial
that examined the effect of ACE inhibition in a cohort of
patients with asymptomatic moderate AS. The authors
used propensity score matching and did not detect any
sign of a safety concern with ACE inhibition over a median
follow-up of 4.3 years. This analysis demonstrate a slower increase in LV mass among patients who received
an ACE inhibitor but did not detect any difference
in all-cause mortality, cardiac death, or sudden cardiac
death rates.95 Given the current body of literature, we
believe that ACE inhibition should not be recommended
as an AS-specific treatment until larger-scale randomized
trials are performed
; however, its use to treat AS-related
comorbidities should not be hindered by the presence of
AS. Concerns about the risk of significant hypotensive
effects in AS that have prevented the widespread use
of ACE inhibitors, ARBs, and mineralocorticoid receptor
antagonists appear to be largely unfounded, particularly
in patients with normal LV function.17,18,20,95,96
Although ARBs have been less extensively studied
than ACE inhibitors in AS, retrospective data suggest
that ARBs are more effective than ACE inhibitors at reducing
aortic valve calcium and LV remodeling.97,98 ACE
inhibitors may not affect the synthesis of angiotensin II by
human chymase and therefore may provide less efficient
RAAS inhibition at the tissue level84; however, it should
be noted that the observed greater benefits with ARBs
than ACE inhibitors may be a chance finding.97,98 A recent
prospective study from Japan suggested that both drug
classes can potentially slow the progression of AS.9
http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/circulationaha/134/22/1766.full.pdf

The contraindication may be outdated. Recent data suggests ARBs are safe for a majority of patients with AS, but i think the theoretical concerns may still hold for some cases. I don't think that Elvia has this, I just wanted to give an example of some heart abnormality being a possible cause of such a super rare side effect to Telmisartan.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1769118/

http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/circulationaha/134/22/1766.full.pdf

I can only speak for myself but I have some mild-moderate AS that hasn't worsened with Telmisartan use for several years.

As for the adverse reactions? Hard to say with certainty. Doesn't fit the bill by your description of anaphylaxis.

Anything else you're taking Elvia that's influential on BP?

The only other things I use that could lower BP are ZMA and vitamin C. Plus it's just a standard dose of ZMA pre bed and 1 gram of vitamin c in the evening so nothing out of the ordinary. I use ubiquinol but ran out a few weeks ago so I need to order more. I haven't used tadalafil for weeks (well before the telmisartan) by do use that on and off. Then there are my pre workouts which will effect bp but I have used them so long and never had an issue ever.

It will take time to leave my system but I felt nothing today for the first time since starting it so I am happy. The last time I took telmi was on Sunday night. The above is a lie as I took 20mg tadalafil a few hours ago (pre workout) and feel good. I may just stick to 10mg tadalafil per day from now on.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
jd08
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131