over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Tendon Attachment surgery for Torn muscle

biglizard225

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Verified Customer
Guys I need some help. I tore the long head (inside) of my left bicep completely off the shoulder attachment. I will be getting surgery to fix it. Because of my job and the fact I don't want this to get me down for very long I was looking for some recommendations from people who have undergone tendon reattachment surgery.

Any info as far as down time recovery time. Protocols for peptides etc...

I've never had a tear in my life. So I have no clue about any of this. I've heard BPC 157 works very well and I obviously know GH would but that's not in the budget for me.

Thanks for any advice.

damn bro im sorry to hear.

I train like a total pussy now because these things scare the hell out of me... howd it happen?

my only suggestion would be to not try repelling down a cliff

i did that back in 09, the doc told me he sees that alot and many guys who dont mind the asthetics of only 1 bicep forego surgery. so did i.
never had issues with it since.
in fact a friend of mine's doc told him bodybuiilders ASK to have a tendon cut to give that nice peak. mine was a pretty peak too.
now the downside is u only have 1 left. no room to fuck up.
the surgerys def gonna put u in a sling for a long time, 6 weeks or so. then all that rehab...i said fuck it, especially cuz it was the start of summer and the heat...
hope its not yr dominant arm.

I tore my right bicep tendon from the forearm in 2017 and my left quad tendon from the knee in Jan 2018
The PT protocols are all universal meaning its the same for a 90 year old and a 25 year old.
That was my experience so I did PT myself and I'm fine
I am sure there are some physical therapists out there that deviate from the protocols for patients who are in good shape, this just wasnt my experience

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Guys I need some help. I tore the long head (inside) of my left bicep completely off the shoulder attachment. I will be getting surgery to fix it. Because of my job and the fact I don't want this to get me down for very long I was looking for some recommendations from people who have undergone tendon reattachment surgery.

Any info as far as down time recovery time. Protocols for peptides etc...

I've never had a tear in my life. So I have no clue about any of this. I've heard BPC 157 works very well and I obviously know GH would but that's not in the budget for me.

Thanks for any advice.

Short head of the bicep.

You're looking at 2-3 months immobilized + 6-8 months of rehab after. GH and peptides MAY help, but I haven't seen anyone saying it did much.

No one doesn't get it reattached anymore, the newer methods are much better than past ones. The sooner you get it done and better the surgeon, the faster the recovery. If you aren't very patient, you will tear it off again. It will be immobilized for several weeks, then you won't be lifting any weight at all, just working on range of motion, then you will start with a couple pounds and work up from there slowly over around 6 months. Don't rush it, don't injure it again doing back or chest too soon. If you do everything perfect, it will come back to 90-95%. GH might help a bit but probably not much, you are waiting for the tendon to grow back into the bone, it will take a year to get to it's strongest point but it will be close to that at 6 months ideally.

FYI, you ruptured your tendon you didn't tear your muscle.

Guy in my gym just tore his 8 weeks ago just got the go ahead to start curling 5lbs, ect.

He just posted in gear'd up a few days ago.

Really sorry to hear Liz. If you want his contact info shoot me a PM.

Tore my tricep tendon and my quad tendon along with my shoulder. Tricep took 8 weeks, quad was longer at 4-5 months, shoulder was around 4 months. GH helped alot, doctor even hinted to take the GH (without actually saying it).
Get the surgery, you will not be the same without it, and most likely will end up regretting not doing it later.

I had some shoulder work and bicep tendon repair done at the same time, I put it off for to long and made my rehab was longer and more difficult, I should have had it done about a year earlier, I was in a wedge sling for a month, I was unable to move my arm, It could only be moved via passive motion, so twice a day my wife would take it out of the sling and slowly work it thru range of motion, it sucked, she even would take a shower with me, I would hold my arm and she bath me then dry me off, I started PT I think 6 weeks post op, outside of the stuff I did during therapy, I did no lifting for 5 months ( doc said wait 6 months ), I did not take anything to speed the process, possibly GH would help but I have heard mixed reviews from people on that, had to sleep in a recliner for 8 weeks, take it slow brotha and do not push it but work hard in rehab and your home program, good luck to ya bro!!

I had some shoulder work and bicep tendon repair done at the same time, I put it off for to long and made my rehab was longer and more difficult, I should have had it done about a year earlier, I was in a wedge sling for a month, I was unable to move my arm, It could only be moved via passive motion, so twice a day my wife would take it out of the sling and slowly work it thru range of motion, it sucked, she even would take a shower with me, I would hold my arm and she bath me then dry me off, I started PT I think 6 weeks post op, outside of the stuff I did during therapy, I did no lifting for 5 months ( doc said wait 6 months ), I did not take anything to speed the process, possibly GH would help but I have heard mixed reviews from people on that, had to sleep in a recliner for 8 weeks, take it slow brotha and do not push it but work hard in rehab and your home program, good luck to ya bro!!

Sounds like you had a biceps tenodesis, a procedure that moves the biceps attachment from the labrum and reattaches it to the humerus, much longer recovery than what he is talking about...

Sounds like you had a biceps tenodesis, a procedure that moves the biceps attachment from the labrum and reattaches it to the humerus, much longer recovery than what he is talking about...

A tenodisis is what I'm talking about I saw the doctor today. Will get an MRI Thursday.

Kinda sucks but it is what is. Kinda felt a little devastated at first but either way after going pretty hard for a while my body needs the down time and I'm looking at this as a learning experience.

June 2, 2002 left quad tendon total rupture...June 2, 2007 complete left tricep tendon rupture...I took it easy, went to rehab, drank a lot of beer and slowly started training appx 3 months after surgery...knee and tricep are not what they once we're...I just had to accept it....I should mention that I was 42 and 47 when my injuries occurred...

A tenodisis is what I'm talking about I saw the doctor today. Will get an MRI Thursday.

Kinda sucks but it is what is. Kinda felt a little devastated at first but either way after going pretty hard for a while my body needs the down time and I'm looking at this as a learning experience.

My bad, I was thinking short head proximal, j4ever is correct, that one is a fairly rough rehab but still totally worth it.

I ruptured the distal biceps tendon about 9 years ago, it didn't fully retract so I didn't know how bad it was and waited 4 months to have it repaired. It was a full year before it was back to 90-95%.

I used the injury as motivation to get into the best shape of my life, returned to bodybuilding and did my first contest about a year later, make the injury work for you!

I'm recovering from a ruptured triceps tendon and a longitudinal split tear of the musculotendinous junction of the lateral triceps.

Protocol was basically 8 weeks of nothing. Remember, your sutures are going to start dissolving 2-3 weeks in, and the scar tissue won't be at it's strongest. So the mechanical repair weakens leaving you susceptible to re-rupturing if you get impatient and test the repair early. This is why you need to limit as stress on the tendon for a good 8 weeks.

The triceps is a pain in the ass, but at least they allow full extension range of motion and slowly introduce flexion range of motion of a period of weeks. With a biceps tendon rupture, they limit both extension and flexion for those 8 weeks, which really sucks.

Best case, your protocol would likely be 10-days with a hard cast, 8 weeks with a range of motion limiting brace with the goal of achieving full ROM by the 8 week mark. At 8 weeks, you get to start doing against-gravity flexion. At about 10 weeks, maybe 2-3 lbs of resistance and slowly working up from there. Goal would be a green light to lift responsibly by 16 weeks.

As to your question about whether to get it done or not, I'll pass some advice my Ortho passed to me and I've seen mention of it in this thread.

First, sooner rather than later. As you wait, the tendon is retracting away from the insertion and will need to be pull back in to place. It becomes harder and harder for the surgeon as time goes on. Also, the tendon will want to just attach to whatever it can find in the meantime. Scar tissue will form between the tendon and other soft tissue. It becomes difficult to discern what is tendon tissue, scar tissue, etc. IF YOU WANT THE BEST POSSIBLE RESULT, don't procrastinate.

Second, the patient usually knows best if they need surgery. If your state of mind is that your stressing over the rupture, you just want to be back to normal, you fear what this could mean for the rest of your lifting career, you should probably have the surgery to give yourself the best chance at normal recovery. If you mindset is that you really don't give a fuck about anything other than getting back to the gym and you're willing to live with some strength/muscle profile changes, then you might be someone that would forego the surgery.

I had a complete distal (at the elbow) bicep tendon tear back in 2012. I tore it on a Friday at the gym, and had the repair surgery on Tuesday. Make sure you have the repair surgery as soon as possible after the injury, or else the torn ends of the tendon will scar up and it will be harder to stretch back into proper position. Your's will be retracted down the arm towards the elbow, rather than up the arm toward the shoulder as mine was, but it will be harder to stretch and reattach as time goes on.

I had the repair surgery quickly, which was good, but because I had terrible insurance at the time, I couldn't find a good orthopedic surgeon who would take my insurance, so I had to use a surgeon who I don't believe was very experienced with the procedure, as he was the only one who would take my insurance. If I could go back in time, I would have paid for the operation myself, and used the experienced surgeons who were recommended to me. Although I can't prove this without an MRI, I suspect that the surgeon who reattached my bicep tendon may have reattached it to the ulna, rather than the radius, as the arm has never healed correctly, the muscle has stayed rolled up at the top of the arm, and I still can't supinate the hand completely (turn the palm up), which has made it impossible to do simple exercises like barbell curls. I can do light dumbbell hammer curls or Swiss bar curls with the arm in a neutral position, but nothing like a barbell curl with the palm turned completely up. It has restricted my range of motion and function and exercise selection, but I can still do trap bar deadlifts or double-overhand deadlifts (no mixed grip) or barbell or cable rows to train the pulling muscles of the back and arms. I can't imagine doing something like a barbell clean that requires explosive elbow flexion, as my arm just doesn't bend easily anymore.

The arm has never healed correctly, but maybe that's my fault rather than the surgeon's fault. I was a personal trainer at the time, and I kept on training myself, and training clients at the gym, even while my arm was in the cast and sling for weeks, and then the Bledsoe brace for more weeks. Because I kept on training, and doing things like demonstrating exercises for clients and handing them heavy dumbbells even while my arm was in a cast, I am sure I caused more trauma to the arm instead of letting it rest and recuperate properly. So maybe the reason my arm has never properly healed is my fault for training too much and too hard, or the surgeon's fault for doing a crappy job, or most likely a combination of the two.

So my best recommendations to you would be to find the best and most experienced surgeon in your area to do the tendon repair, even if you have to pay for it yourself, then let the injured arm rest as much as possible while it is in the cast and sling and brace. Give the arm time to heal, rest up, then when you are ready do your rehab, and eventually you will probably be pretty much back to normal, and you will hopefully have a much better result than I did.

I had a ruptured biceps repaired. In a sling for 1 week then the Dr said to only wear it in public so people wouldn't bump into me as there was no pain. Back in the gym after 5 days. Training the whole body except the injured arm/shoulder. Started doing passive movements after a couple weeks. Moving minuscule weights a couple weeks later. Was back to work in less then 2 weeks. After 6 weeks the Dr told me to keep up the rehab that I was doing on my own as I was healing well and to just not get crazy.

It should be noted that there are currently about three different methods for tendon attachments and some are much better than others. There are even surgeons using a combination of techniques that are supposedly even more bulletproof. Bottom line is, find the best surgeon you can.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws