over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

The #1 Reason Why Bodybuilding Isn't Popular

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't see pigeons at the zoo.... you see Bald Eagles....

Life Span
Male Lions- 8-10 years
Bald Eagle- 20-30 years

I'd rather be an eagle..;).. lol

Just playin around... but seriously, this is a no brainer IMO...it's not popular because of the AUTOMATIC association with steroids.. plain and simple. Like Luki said.. The pro bodybuilder is a FREAK... That people that do go to the O want to see FREAKS (and the expo which is a HUGE draw) but don't necessarily wanna LOOK like those freaks. Just my .02
It's funny when people say bodybuilding is not popular because it's association with steroids yet the WWE is WIDLY popular and every person with even a few brain cells knows 98.7% of them are on some type of steroid.

Most intelligent Americans also know that track and field, baseball, NFL football are all also riddled with performance enhancing drugs. They still love the hell out of those sports and would be highly disappointed if they didn't take PED's

It's funny when people say bodybuilding is not popular because it's association with steroids yet the WWE is WIDLY popular and every person with even a few brain cells knows 98.7% of them are on some type of steroid.
It's all about excitement

boxing, basketball, mma, soccer, football, baseball etc.. have one thing in common, and that's excitement, remember floyd vs paquiao, khabib vs mcgregor, how they got millions of pay per views, that's because people were excited

its a drug riddled "sport" that is obviously unhealthy and kills people.
yes other sports have PED's used in them but on a FAR lower level. they are at least trying to hide it and keep up the facade.
bodybuilding is full blown drugs as much as guys can handle. soooo different. and looks different to the normal person FOR SURE.
like others have said its very 1 dimensional.
i would NEVER want to be Nick Walker big. no freaking way. i want to live past 50 years old. plus it looks terrible EXCEPT for on stage.
i DO like seeing the freaks tho! thats really what got me so attracted to the sport. after i watched Ronnie the Unbelieveable i was HOOKED>

WWE wrestlers physiques are terrible nowadays. They implemented drug testing years back and its definitely noticeable.
Look at WWF wrestlers from the late 90's/early 2000s vs now. VASTLY different.

Also, BBing has the terribly untrue steroid stigma associated with it. Every single one of us has heard the, "if i did roids for 5 years, i'd look like that too." Stupid and untrue, but people really believe that. Major league sports DO NOT have that. No one looks at NFL players and THINKS they could do that. Very different comparison in those.

Im trying to figure out what the discussion is here — are we wondering WHY BBing will never be a major mainstream thing that 50% of the nation will be interested in? Because its boring lol thats why....we fuckin pose on stage in our bikini bottoms. THAT'S why it will never be popular, sorry to burst our collective bubble.

You ever think this new generation just isn't into Bodybuilding?
Exactly what I'm saying. But styles and fads change and are cyclical (eventually coming around again).

You ever think this new generation just isn't into Bodybuilding?
yes a little bit. IG snap FB twitter onlyfans. it all makes people feel bigger then they are, feel special, get all the reinforcement they need. I believe that is more reason then the "look" or the health issues.
and bodybuilding, its also hard, really hard. selfies in perfect light in the gym by yourself and saying your feeling untouchable today in your hashtag has no repercussions like getting spanked onstage. With a world full of obese gamers and almost all have phone, , the ugliest cave trolls can start a page or site and if they give somebody a little attention, they can have a "fanbase"
I believe its more then BB too. anything hard is shunned or looked down on by people who arent successful at it.
its easier to stay home and cash stimulus checks, its easier to make money on crypto, its easier to make money on onlyfans, its easier to not be married and not raise kids, its easier to be a piece of shit, then a useful human being that gives others meaning.
I think if most people -just men here, I cant speak for women and I wont, but if men, looked at their grandfather, looked at what they went though, how hard they worked, what kind of man they were, they would be ashamed of themselves for what they do and what they use their phone for
I think that day is gone, and along with it, alot of integrity and character goes as well. We all know how much it takes to get onstage and look the part, really look the part. I believe the other people say "why would I bother".
I actually type this because I ve been thinking about it a lot lately and talking to alot of my clients, hoping that bodybuilding could go back to more of what it was 15-25 years ago, more niche, more boutique, more unique, not for everyone

It’s a sub culture and always will be. I think the Arnold Classic took a shot with all the different events, but it just doesn’t catch on mainstream.

Did get to see Thor break the dead lift record during the pandemic on ESPN, which was cool.

It’s also a gay sub culture. I was completely oblivious too this. Then, I started working at a prison and the only guys getting Flex magazine were all gay.

Iirc Phil Heath touched on the fact that none of the guys can talk in Generation Iron.

It’s too bad they didn’t interview winners the following day when they weren’t carb depleted, laser beam focused and exhausted.

You want main stream

Think marketing and promotion

Pull strategy - need to start young cartoons ..like the 80s, movies ...etc - think big tabacco and others that are smart , clever at marketing ...have to penetrate people's life's

Can't just have shows and the occasional big guy at supermarket ....just doesn't work ...have to be strategic --- and could take years

Attractive , beautiful physics people will want to emulate...just like all the companies enticing people

Takes money...takes time

The problem is in the execution of the work and the display of competition.

The reason other sports are popular is because despite all the prep you may do on the backend, someone smaller, weaker, slower, and less gifted can come and whip your ass on the field with grit and heart.

Bodybuilding accidentally eliminated the most American theme in sports - the underdog. On the morning of the event, everyone knows who’s gonna place top 5. The order of placing might change, but top dudes are top dudes.

If we want it to be popular, you’d have to make prep into a reality show. Show the entire offseason, prep, run up to the show, everything.

The problem is in the execution of the work and the display of competition.

The reason other sports are popular is because despite all the prep you may do on the backend, someone smaller, weaker, slower, and less gifted can come and whip your ass on the field with grit and heart.

Bodybuilding accidentally eliminated the most American theme in sports - the underdog. On the morning of the event, everyone knows who’s gonna place top 5. The order of placing might change, but top dudes are top dudes.

If we want it to be popular, you’d have to make prep into a reality show. Show the entire offseason, prep, run up to the show, everything.
Agree with this.. it's more like an art show than a competitive sport, body art vs lining up painting and judging who has the best. But with an art show, you may get some crazy shocking art show up. A bodybuilding contest you know exactly what your going to see, you guys who follow can tell if a guy has improved since last year people like me will just see a bunch of guys and not know how to judge, imagine the general population.

Then in beauty pageants, atlest before all this new stuff (diversity, trans, plus size) the girls would be the ideal for women to look. In bodybuilding it's not the case it's more a freak show, where the audience doesn't necessarily want to look like the winner (although some do) but most don't want that size due to health concerns, clothing not fitting, and they know it jist doesn't appeal to the general public.

Pretty surprised no one has really mentioned the real reason;

It’s ABSOLUTELY BORING…

Yes, I know this is a hardcore bodybuilding forum and no one wants to hear it or say it, but that’s the truth…

All the hard work and dedication etc etc put aside, yes, we get it..

But it’s boring as all hell… There’s no excitement, no drama, nothing that keeps my (and apparently 99.9999% of people’s) attention for more than maybe 5 seconds to be like “oh those are freaks…. Moving on now.”

There’s a reason why billions of people watch the FIFA World Cup

There’s a reason why millions upon millions of people watch Mcgregor fight, even when he’s on a losing streak..

There’s a reason why people watch literally every other major sport by the millions and billions…

The fact that steroids are a part of it has nothing to do with it…

Who wants to watch 12 out of breath dudes in thongs pose on stage for hours?

No one cares except for a very small, niche part of the population…

Mr.O Expo can be a huge draw relevant to bodybuilding as a sport, but that’s an expo… Its not filling up a soccer stadium with its “draw”…

It’s boring and nobody cares is the real reason…

Until that changes, it will never be mainstream…..

Soooo…..

Anyone have any ideas??

Most intelligent Americans also know that track and field, baseball, NFL football are all also riddled with performance enhancing drugs. They still love the hell out of those sports and would be highly disappointed if they didn't take PED's
Unfortunately, there aren't very many intelligent Americans (or people). It never ceases to amaze me just how dumb the average is these days.

I, personally, I have never cared that bodybuilding isn't popular. I don't especially like very much that's popular to the masses (probably because the masses are morons). I'd love it if bodybuilders made more, but if they can't because "society" isn't into it...small price to pay imo.

Pretty surprised no one has really mentioned the real reason;

It’s ABSOLUTELY BORING…

Yes, I know this is a hardcore bodybuilding forum and no one wants to hear it or say it, but that’s the truth…

All the hard work and dedication etc etc put aside, yes, we get it..

But it’s boring as all hell… There’s no excitement, no drama, nothing that keeps my (and apparently 99.9999% of

Anyone have any ideas??
I like the idea of a TV show, reality show type of thing, of the lead-up (prep) to the stage. Training, eating, their doctors, coaches, methods., etc.

Gyms across America are relatively full (it's never been a cash cow venture) but gyms aren't empty. That's what I think most people love. The blood, sweat, and tears that go into it. Who doesn't get amped watching Rocky I, II, III, IV training montages before the big fight? Can't be just me. I say get that going. Something wrong when World's Greatest Chef seems more action packed than bodybuilding. It's ridiculous. How exciting is cooking?!?

I just watched (tried to watch) a bikini competition and it was just 6-8 women (good looking women!) doing front double-bi, standing, standing rear, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, I finally had to fast-forward to the end to see the winner. It was very redundant to the viewer.

Bodybuilding will never have mainstream appeal because bodybuilding shows are very entertaining from a gen-pop spectators perspective. It's not a traditional sport in that the physical element takes place behind closed doors - the competitive element is 10 blokes poncing about in a thong - there's no tension, no excitement, no chance of a scrappy underdog stealing a win with a last minute score.
I agree. Also, many consider reaction time, balance, agility, and speed to be worthwhile athletic pursuits. Competing for "looking good" is purely an aesthetic observation, nothing wrong with that of course. It seems that when you find individuals with amazing athletic abilities, they typically have athletic and aesthetically pleasing physiques. Bodybuilding cannot reverse engineer this equation by creating physiques with muscular size, symmetry, and separation, and put it on the same platform as the best 200Meter sprinters in the world....who by the way, typically have amazing physiques.

The ifbb isn't stupid.. they put their money where it's most addressed.. the reason why open bodybuilding gets more prize money is simple economics. They draw the most " asses in the seats".. yes cbum is popular.. but guess what ? His popularity doesn't translate to butts in the seats. He is popular through mediums like Instagram.. but the classic division isn't putting fans in seats.. the freaks still reign Supreme there. Now you may say that the majority of people don't want to look like the freaks.. ok.. but they will pay to see them and purchase the supplements they endorse.. hell I don't want to be as big as ronnie was but I sure as hell bought his tapes and paid to see him...
And we have to remember when we get nostalgic for the 90s that they were not smaller... at least by much.. ronnie 290.. Gunter 285.. levrone 250.. Cormier 250.. cutler 265.. the list goes on.. they diffinitely were not classic in regards to weight..
So why is it not popular as it was mainstream wise ? Simple.. steroids started to get media hype in the 90s based off the baseball allegations.. people literally thought mark Mcguire was a enormous physical specimen.. same with Sammy Sosa. They talked about their physicality every ESPN show. They associated them with steroids. Now if Sosa is considered a " huge freak" brought on by chemical enhancements then can you imagine what the general public is going to think of the Olympia stage ? Hell many thought Marky Mark was huge. So at that point bodybuilding was no longer viable to the mainstream.. that ship has sailed..
Back in the 90s former ifbb head honcho Wayne demalia started his own federation.. he wanted more streamlined bodybuilders .. why? Because he was going to have the shows at Chelsea Piers .. he was targeting the gay population and what they wanted to see. That was going to be his target audience. It never panned out.. people wanted to see freaks..
And i can tell you from being at a few of these discussions that most lifters , no matter how much they like cbum, don't want to pay to see a 5 ' 10 220 pound guy posing to " wind beneath my wings".. they pay the tickets to see branch warren and ronnie stomp.out on stage at 260 to 290 pounds of freak meat and hit most muscular..
Yes more competitors are going to classic.. for now.. the class is flooded.. why?.. because most do not have the genetics to hang in the open.. thats fine.. they will never be big.. it allows them a place to go and compete. But. Many are still training and supplementing like the open just not getting the same results. But You will soon see a big shift from classic to open for those with the genetics. It's starting now. Too many are flooding the classic division.
But bodybuilding was never going to last mainstream after the media craze with steroids.. and classic or physique isn't going to help that. When the Rock is associated with gear along with anyone in shape these days classic guts will have that label in spades. I showed a picture of a men's physique competitor to a work friend not long ago . First thing out of his mouth was " he's loaded to the gills on steroids isn't he"? So those divisions are not the savior..

It's a niche sport/interest. I was always intrigued growing up in the 90s about it. I would look at magazines, but never watched a full show.

It wasn't until I began to train myself that interest from a kid came back and I decided to get into it. Still, I don't watch the shows.

I use forums, podcasts, etc to learn and craft my skill. As someone else pointed out...this is BORING AF! But I LOVE IT!!! I am not normal.

Mainstream ppl just don't have the focus to get into a niche like this and so good luck getting ppl who don't train to wanna watch and get into it.

BB isn't normal, isn't mainstream. That is part of what drew me in. Fuck being normal! :cool:

It's a niche sport/interest. I was always intrigued growing up in the 90s about it. I would look at magazines, but never watched a full show.

It wasn't until I began to train myself that interest from a kid came back and I decided to get into it. Still, I don't watch the shows.

I use forums, podcasts, etc to learn and craft my skill. As someone else pointed out...this is BORING AF! But I LOVE IT!!! I am not normal.

Mainstream ppl just don't have the focus to get into a niche like this and so good luck getting ppl who don't train to wanna watch and get into it.

BB isn't normal, isn't mainstream. That is part of what drew me in. Fuck being normal! :cool:
Totally agree on that part, i remember when I was 18 and it was only few guys in the gym , it was small circle but we loved it , it was loooong before fb insta and all this shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
commonplaceconsulting
NapsGear