over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

The 90s....

Oldlifter please clean this up ,delete all of you posts ......I want them gone before I wake up ......I would give you the same respect.........have a good day .....just get this done asap......thanks and much love

Oh great Big A and your mighty mods please get rid all of oldlifters posts in my thread before I have a meltdown .........make then be gone asap ....thanks you..... Hungarian.....yes that was a great book indeed ,,,,,,glad you enjoyed it .......read bob paris's gorrila suit as well you will enjoy it..........

Does anyone have any links to more on this theory about the heart only being able to beat a certain number of times before just giving out? I've done a little looking and didnt find anything.. but this was pretty interesting:
\

"Among mammals, there is an inverse semilogarithmic relation between heart rate and life expectancy. The product of these variables, namely, the number of heart beats/lifetime, should provide a mathematical expression that defines for each species a predetermined number of heart beats in a lifetime. Plots of the calculated number of heart beats/lifetime among mammals against life expectancy and body weight (allometric scale of 0.5 x 10(6)) are, within an order of magnitude, remarkably constant and average 7.3 +/- 5.6 x 10(8) heart beats/lifetime. A study of universal biologic scaling and mortality suggests that the basal energy consumption/body atom per heart beat is the same in all animals (approximately 10(-8) O2 molecules/heart beat). These data yield a mean value of 10 x 10(8) heart beats/lifetime and suggest that life span is predetermined by basic energetics of living cells and that the apparent inverse relation between life span and heart rate reflects an epiphenomenon in which heart rate is a marker of metabolic rate. Thus, the question of whether human life can be extended by cardiac slowing remains moot and most likely will only be resolved by retrospective analyses of large populations, future animal studies and clinical trials using bradycardic therapy."

When I took my states EMT course we discussed this also. Search "Predetermined heart beats"

B-boy.......how about a training thread from you today.................what was your best on hardest workout to date........? And second part ........you are tough ,competitive fucker [you even want to box me someback which prob going to happen because I am macho fuck ......thats like heart od yours ........] Who the strongest guy the you have ever seen in the gym and what were the lifts ?

Awesome...thanks for getting us back to where we started!
This thread really got me starting to think back to the late 80's early 90's when I started training and read a book called Muscle:Confessions of an Unlikely Bodybuilder. Has anyone ever heard of that or read it? Its a great read but it really showed what crazy lengths some guys will go with their obsession.

Great book...except when i read it at the time i thought...yeah i owuld do that, LOL much older and wiser (in think) now. The 80's were really teh shit though, around my area there were several doctors that would work with you for no other reason than you were a BB and they were into the sport (not homos like today). Back then it was Deca, anadrol, test, anavar by script it was beautiful, the script would actually say...for weight gain. Those were the days. No shame in it no labels no nothing just a guy that wants to get bigger...no problem.

And scottie mc d I better see you throwing up so ideas and thought up here as I know you have a ton to share........hope up are well.....now get to typing

And Ron [alfresco......my artistic taleted friend.....] se these boys on all the bs photoshop stuff that goes on and how unrealistic it really is .......they need to know..............I miss the ols black and white shots in the old 70 s muscle builders ......amazing stuff .......the crap today has zero characte or talent ...........tell em ronnie......it is sad

Last edited:
J do you think the trending diets at the times... 90s being more high carb/low fat moderate protein and the current trend come diet time of low carb keto style diets has any effect on the quality of physiques? Massive G has suggested that may be a reason for a lot of guys lose leg mass come show time by killing it with cardio and low/no carbs.

Scott .....always good questions from you ..........when I get up I will share my thoughts on thid with you and good question.......keep them coming......

Anyone ever train at Samson's Gym in the 80's in Rochester NY? Padilla and Bob Chick trained there along with Bob Goode and Louie Devito. It was huge back then for east coast bodybuilders.

Ed Robinson

eddie robinson was a strong beast .......heard he is tatooing people in florida ......and has had his ups and downs .....but good dude.....

The first gym that I ever had a membership at was Gold's Gym, Jacksonville Florida in the Spring of 1987. I like all other aspiring bodybuilders/weightlifters of my day I new all the stories and persona of the original Gold's Gym, so when the franchise found it's way to my hometown, I put all my nickles and dimes together and joined. The guy who signed me up? Non other then Ed Robinson. Imagine my feelings as I walked in the gym brand of Gold's for the first time and the first person I see was Ed Robinson. Never in my 18 years of life had I ever seen a freaky looking guy like that in person, only in the mags. Everybody in the gym seemed huge and to say I was a little intimidated was an understatement. When I was done training I realized that I had locked my keys in the car. So here I am, my first day, intimidated as hell, having to go to Ed and ask him if I can use the phone to call my Mom so she can bring me my extra set of car keys. Ed was pretty cool about that offered to rip the door off of my 1980 Pontiac Phoenix if I needed him to.

Ed was always nice to me though and would come over and talk to every once and awhile. I don't know what level he was as a bodybuilder then (1987) but I know at the time he had just come to Florida from Ohio. I just know at that time he was the freakiest guy I had ever scene. His strength was legendary as well. It is a fact that they had a bench press contest at a gym that was located in Jacksonville, Beach. Ed literally showed up in street clothes minutes before the event and registered. No one new who the hell he was as he was new in town and this contest would occur every few months and the same participants would usually enter and win. He left them with their jaws hanging though when he benched 610 LBS and won the contest.

The gym was owned by an Iranian Bodybuilder named Raisa that supposedly was an IFBB pro (I don't know if anyone might know who he was or is) but you know back then I thought everyone that size was a Pro. One night with the gym packed around 5:00PM Ed and Raisa got into a knockdown drag out fist fight right in the gym. I mean they beat the hell out of each other in the gym, it spilled out the back door in the parking lot, and then back in the gym again. Ed quit that night and the next time I ever heard of him, he was a Pro and in a bunch of magazines.

The first gym that I ever had a membership at was Gold's Gym, Jacksonville Florida in the Spring of 1987. I like all other aspiring bodybuilders/weightlifters of my day I new all the stories and persona of the original Gold's Gym, so when the franchise found it's way to my hometown, I put all my nickles and dimes together and joined. The guy who signed me up? Non other then Ed Robinson. Imagine my feelings as I walked in the gym brand of Gold's for the first time and the first person I see was Ed Robinson. Never in my 18 years of life had I ever seen a freaky looking guy like that in person, only in the mags. Everybody in the gym seemed huge and to say I was a little intimidated was an understatement. When I was done training I realized that I had locked my keys in the car. So here I am, my first day, intimidated as hell, having to go to Ed and ask him if I can use the phone to call my Mom so she can bring me my extra set of car keys. Ed was pretty cool about that offered to rip the door off of my 1980 Pontiac Phoenix if I needed him to.

Ed was always nice to me though and would come over and talk to every once and awhile. I don't know what level he was as a bodybuilder then (1987) but I know at the time he had just come to Florida from Ohio. I just know at that time he was the freakiest guy I had ever scene. His strength was legendary as well. It is a fact that they had a bench press contest at a gym that was located in Jacksonville, Beach. Ed literally showed up in street clothes minutes before the event and registered. No one new who the hell he was as he was new in town and this contest would occur every few months and the same participants would usually enter and win. He left them with their jaws hanging though when he benched 610 LBS and won the contest.

The gym was owned by an Iranian Bodybuilder named Raisa that supposedly was an IFBB pro (I don't know if anyone might know who he was or is) but you know back then I thought everyone that size was a Pro. One night with the gym packed around 5:00PM Ed and Raisa got into a knockdown drag out fist fight right in the gym. I mean they beat the hell out of each other in the gym, it spilled out the back door in the parking lot, and then back in the gym again. Ed quit that night and the next time I ever heard of him, he was a Pro and in a bunch of magazines.

Aeliop...I guarantee you will be able to answer this question. In the early 90's I was in JAX for 2 weeks for work and needed a gym to train at. I found this older place with tons of ancient equipment and some newer stuff as well that was owned by this older guy probably in his mid to late 60's (hell maybe even 70). It wasa great environment and I trained there probably 3-4 times during my stay. Now as I was training I looked at all the old pictures on the wall and saw that this 'old guy' had been a top ranked bodybuilder for it seems like 30 or 40 plus years! As a matter fact years later i saw he even competed again and won an over 60 show. Can you remember who he was and what gym this was? For the life of me I cannot remember! I seem to recall it was on the south side of town somewhere. It was such a cool old school facility.

badman you mentioned several people in the wbf including gary strydom.

i remember reading an interview with ian harrison and he stated the first time he came to the usa he saw strydom in golds and stated he looked 100lb heavier than his contest weight.

did you ever see him train off season??

who would you say was the hardest worker in the 90's

I have alot I want to say, but I had a long night at work and I am beat.........but the so many ticks comment was an observation on my part not a fact........but tell me, how many people see 80 that are coke or meth heads ? I have seen zero...but have seen dozens die in their 40s......how many diet pill head s have I seen die ? Many .....How many 300 lb 80 yr olds has my dr treated in his 30 yr practice? Exactly zero .........so I asked him how many 250lbers ? He said less than 5 .......this out of thousands of patients .......You say weight doesn't matter then you are crazy ......every animal study out there on life span shows the smaller lighter animals in their individual species always live way longer.......It is a fact that big tall people don't live as long either......why the denial? Most ex pro football players don't see 60 ....look it up to see if I am lying.......try pro wrestlers as well.........how can you not understand that? Ask Dat if he wants to explain the science behind it .......you are so off base .........so off base...........As far as the master's guys ....yes, they are conditioned better than most of the young guys.....but most are the obsessed guys that never had the genes to make it when they were young and can't let the look go[also ,ever thought they are more together financially than the young guys and can afford more and better drugs ? especially gh ].......many wont see 70 or 80 [I have known 5 die in their 40s and 50s prepping for shows and one of my best friends had a heart attack ]......and most don't care and that's their right ......Me ? I 'd rather look young and fit and be able to fuck women half my age at 80 ,than be in the ground .......but that s just me ......My girl is half my age now , hot , mature , and cool as hell [and no , not a dancer] ......Before you say ....oh you have money though.....lol.....nope not these days ......Young ladies like the way I look and treat people ......At my age I certainly don't chase ....go to bars ....or party.....I like women and sex and plan on enjoying it til I die .........I don't need tatoos ,trendy clothes ,a cheesy car , or a my space to roll ass.......I like woman and take care of myself.....if you are a good guy and confident then you are all set........the only girls that care how big a guy is .....is women with daddy issues ......and believe me those aren't the keepers.....lol....I am a big guy and I want to be smaller and will get there.......if not ,I will pay a price and I believe that is a fact.......

It is my belief that walking around a muscular 250 lbs at say 10% bodyfat is harder on the heart than walking around at a flabby 250 lbs at say 20% bodyfat. To me, in a muscular person, the heart has to work that much harder to supply all of that extra muscle tissue wheras with someone with less muscle but more fat isnt going to have this going on because fat doesnt really have any blood supply to speak of. So I think it goes deeper than just how much you weigh.

I know for me, after having my heart attack, my heart seems to labor much less now that I have lost so much muscle. I did weigh about 230 lbs at 8% BF, im now about 225 lbs but carry much more bodyfat. Put on about 3 inches on my waist. Its very difficult now to stay lean because of all the meds Im on and I cant push very hard in the gym

Last edited:
It is my belief that walking around a muscular 250 lbs at say 10% bodyfat is harder on the heart than walking around at a flabby 250 lbs at say 20% bodyfat. To me, in a muscular person, the heart has to work that much harder to supply all of that extra muscle tissue wheras with someone with less muscle but more fat isnt going to have this going on because fat doesnt really have any blood supply to speak of. So I think it goes deeper than just how much you weigh.

I know for me, after having my heart attack, my heart seems to labor much less now that I have lost so much muscle. I did weigh about 230 lbs at 8% BF, im now about 225 lbs but carry much more bodyfat. Put on about 3 inches on my waist. Its very difficult now to stay lean because of all the meds Im on and I cant push very hard in the gym

i think you are right on target with that...look at all the 500-800lbs people you see on the discovery channel that arent dead yet, get surgery and come out in not too bad shape if they keep the weight off...i would guess if it were possible to get up to 500lb and muscular you would not be lasting too long!!!!

i think you are right on target with that...look at all the 500-800lbs people you see on the discovery channel that arent dead yet, get surgery and come out in not too bad shape if they keep the weight off...i would guess if it were possible to get up to 500lb and muscular you would not be lasting too long!!!!

Yeah, I never looked at it that way. We have all seen how some of these pros like Coleman breathe when they have to walk up a flight of steps. Always sweating, breathing hard, resting heart rate probably near 100 BPM. there is noway in hell they would survive at a muscular 400 lbs, if it were possible to achive that. No human heart can sustain an effort like that for long, its just not physiologically possible. there is a reason why people arent walking around a muscular 300 lbs naturally, but youll see plenty of fat guys walking around at 300lbs and a lot of them have a healthier heart than the 300 lbs bodybuilder. A true and frustrating concept. My brother in law is my height, 6 foot, and weighs a fat 350 lbs. he is probably 50% bf or more, but his heart is heatlhy. He has an ultrasound and ekg done and its all good.

I am stumped

Aeliop...I guarantee you will be able to answer this question. In the early 90's I was in JAX for 2 weeks for work and needed a gym to train at. I found this older place with tons of ancient equipment and some newer stuff as well that was owned by this older guy probably in his mid to late 60's (hell maybe even 70). It wasa great environment and I trained there probably 3-4 times during my stay. Now as I was training I looked at all the old pictures on the wall and saw that this 'old guy' had been a top ranked bodybuilder for it seems like 30 or 40 plus years! As a matter fact years later i saw he even competed again and won an over 60 show. Can you remember who he was and what gym this was? For the life of me I cannot remember! I seem to recall it was on the south side of town somewhere. It was such a cool old school facility.

HH I feel terrible but for the life of me I don't remember. I will try and jog my memory a little. The early 90's were a little foggy for me as I had met Marilyn and most times I was running into walls way over my head.

bump for badman...

got anymore stories...

.I don't need tatoos ,trendy clothes ,a cheesy car , or a my space to roll ass...

Do you have a bald head...:D

Seriously I'm trying to loose as much weight as I can now and look lean...My training partner is 50 and I'm few years past 30 now. He is telling me stop trying to bulk its not about size anymore and you just want to look good at whatever weight you end up. If that allows me to enter a local show in the light heavies and place... I'm happy with that cause I will have my family, job and health as well.

even at my young age (20s), over the last year I am placing more presidence on the idea of health over size. granted I topped out round 250 at 5'10, not huge but i noticed my breathing changed, i snored, low back aches...

anyways, i dont have any intentions of competing, so to push my wieght any higher just isnt worth it to me (risk vs. gain).

Im currently dropping down a few lbs to get a leaner healther me for the long term...

my 2cents

i love the fact that this thread appears under a banner that reads "GET BIG OR DIE TRYING" lol

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
commonplaceconsulting
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131