over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

The body can only absorb so much protein per sitting myth or fact

fitnessmuscle

Registered
What do you guys think about the body only able to absorb so much protein, let's say two guys do everything the same but one guy spreads his protein through out the day and another guy takes it all in one serving , would there be any difference in muscle or strength gained , of course spreading it out makes more sense , but in the end would it matter on muscle or strength ,can the body only utilize so much per sitting

Everything you eat including protien is broken down and used right away or store as energy (fat, glycogen). It's all absorbed.

With protien its first broken down used to repair/grow, the left over protien is then converted to glycogen and burn as energy or stored as fat.

So it would be better to split your protien rather then have it in all in one sitting.

Everything you eat including protien is broken down and used right away or store as energy (fat, glycogen). It's all absorbed.

With protien its first broken down used to repair/grow, the left over protien is then converted to glycogen and burn as energy or stored as fat.

So it would be better to split your protien rather then have it in all in one sitting.
So in your opinion what is the perfect dose per sitting of protein that should be taking in

So in your opinion what is the perfect dose per sitting of protein that should be taking in

It's very individual. It will come down to trial and error or you could just take your total protien goal for the day (1-2 gram/ lb of body weight) and divide it even throughout all your meals or snacks.

I've seen videos of Big ronnie Coleman drinking 80g whey shakes grams followed by a plate full of egg whites in the same sitting. Obviously a 200lb bber would not need nearly as much in a single sitting, but if he did decide to consume this much I'd imagine it wouldnt take him long to start seeing some fat gain.

I've always used the 50mg +/- serving of protein per meal spaced out every 2.5-3hrs as a rule of thumb for me;the old timers drilled it into my head 30yrs ago and said that 50mg is the most the body can absorb in one sitting. Whether it's legit or not it's worked perfectly for me but I'm by no means an expert nor claim to be.

I've always used the 50mg +/- serving of protein per meal spaced out every 2.5-3hrs as a rule of thumb for me;the old timers drilled it into my head 30yrs ago and said that 50mg is the most the body can absorb in one sitting. Whether it's legit or not it's worked perfectly for me but I'm by no means an expert nor claim to be.
You mean 50 grams right, not 50mg

You can only absorb x amount of protein per meal is the single biggest debunked theory in bodybuilding, besides spot reduction.

You can only absorb x amount of protein per meal is the single biggest debunked theory in bodybuilding, besides spot reduction.

This is an interesting study.

There are also a lot of studies on food assimilation that don't take into account gut adaptation over time in people who consistently eat those foods overt time vs people who are just eating that amount for the study.

Protein assimilation is a function of several factors: weight training, muscle mass, hormonal environment.

Now, if you have not eaten in much hours, you can assimilate more protein in your food.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter, only the daily protein total matters, you can divide it into 2 or 7 meals, depending on your preference, goals and comfort.

Protein assimilation is a function of several factors: weight training, muscle mass, hormonal environment.

Now, if you have not eaten in much hours, you can assimilate more protein in your food.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter, only the daily protein total matters, you can divide it into 2 or 7 meals, depending on your preference, goals and comfort.

I completely disagree, there is no internal storage mechanism for protein, this is why the term "positive nitrogen balance" and "negative nitrogen balance" exist. If you eat all your protein in too few meals, you will go through long periods of negative nitrogen balance. Also, I don't think there is any evidence that "assimilation" which is dependant on the digestive system and its efficiency, has anything to do with weight training, muscle mass, or hormones.

It appears that most younger people need to eat at least 25 grams of protein at a meal before the body gets the signal to start protein synthesis. How long that signal stays turned on for I have not seen. If it stays on till all the protein is assimilated then a couple big meals may work. Smaller more frequent meals would allow the body to turn on the muscle building process more often.

Total protein ingested matters more than when protein is ingested. The "anabolic window" study was flawed. The body uses all the protein it needs for repair irregardless of when it gets protein. Six meals a day for positive nitrogen balance is a fallacy. If you eat more protein in a given meal nitrogen stays elevated longer.

Such beneficial findings for protein timing were therefore due to a greater total protein intake rather than the timing of protein consumption. (1.7g/kg vs. 1.3g/kg).

Some people are of the belief that continually consuming protein through high meal frequencies will continually stimulate MPS (muscle protein synthesis) and lead to continued muscle mass gains. However, the ‘muscle full effect’ suggests that in the face of continued protein feeding the muscle will eventually become refractory once maximally stimulated, with excess protein either oxidised for energy or utilised for other roles within the body.

**broken link removed**

Total protein ingested matters more than when protein is ingested. The "anabolic window" study was flawed. The body uses all the protein it needs for repair irregardless of when it gets protein. Six meals a day for positive nitrogen balance is a fallacy. If you eat more protein in a given meal nitrogen stays elevated longer.

Such beneficial findings for protein timing were therefore due to a greater total protein intake rather than the timing of protein consumption. (1.7g/kg vs. 1.3g/kg).

Some people are of the belief that continually consuming protein through high meal frequencies will continually stimulate MPS (muscle protein synthesis) and lead to continued muscle mass gains. However, the ‘muscle full effect’ suggests that in the face of continued protein feeding the muscle will eventually become refractory once maximally stimulated, with excess protein either oxidised for energy or utilised for other roles within the body.

**broken link removed**

Well first off, "irregardless" isn't a word.

Sure if you eat more protein, nitrogen balance stays elevated longer, but not long enough to prevent negative nitrogen balance if you eat too few meals. You could probably get away with 4 or even less if you have a slow metabolism. But if you have a high metabolism, you are going to need frequent meals to prevent starvation. I mean I am STARVING after 4 hours no matter how much I eat lol.

This has nothing to do with "anabolic window" that is a completely different idea. And this isn't about continually consuming protein, because you do need peaks and troughs between meals.

Basically you are giving contradictory arguments, one stating that 2 meals "timed correctly" are sufficient. And then that meal timing is insignificant. But that goes back to my point that "anabolic window" has nothing to do with this.

Bodybuilders who build large amounts of muscle mass rarely eat only 2 meals with protein, maybe they are all wrong? All of them? Over so many generations? Results and science>Poorly run studies on non-bodybuilders and theory.

First, irregardless is an adverb. . . in the dictionary.

Second, I never said only two meals is sufficient. That was Beti ona. I was pointing out that "six meals a day" and "protein timing" for gains is a fallacy. Similar to your statement, "You can only absorb x amount of protein per meal is the single biggest debunked theory in bodybuilding, besides spot reduction."

Third, although you need 4 meals to maintain a Kcalorie surplus that doesn't apply to everyone. Bodybuilding is an individual endeavor and 2 meals per day may work but how many try it? I like fasting due to lack of appetite until about noon. I eat 2 meals of approximately 1700 Calories each and that works for me. The number of meals doesn't matter as much as total Kcalorie and protein intake.

First, irregardless is an adverb. . . in the dictionary.

Second, I never said only two meals is sufficient. That was Beti ona. I was pointing out that "six meals a day" and "protein timing" for gains is a fallacy. Similar to your statement, "You can only absorb x amount of protein per meal is the single biggest debunked theory in bodybuilding, besides spot reduction."

Third, although you need 4 meals to maintain a Kcalorie surplus that doesn't apply to everyone. Bodybuilding is an individual endeavor and 2 meals per day may work but how many try it? I like fasting due to lack of appetite until about noon. I eat 2 meals of approximately 1700 Calories each and that works for me. The number of meals doesn't matter as much as total Kcalorie and protein intake.

lol, irregardless is definitely not a word! the word is "regardless" in every case. The usage of the word is often made fun of in comedy. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irregardless

Sure anyone can eat only 2 meals per day, or less, of course it will "work" but you will be in a negative nitrogen balance through a lot of the day, protein can only digest so slowly, no matter how much you eat. There is both extreme amounts of science and trial and error behind this. BTW, when you haven't eaten in a long time and you aren't hungry, it's from cortisol.

lol, irregardless is definitely not a word! the word is "regardless" in every case. The usage of the word is often made fun of in comedy. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irregardless

Sure anyone can eat only 2 meals per day, or less, of course it will "work" but you will be in a negative nitrogen balance through a lot of the day, protein can only digest so slowly, no matter how much you eat. There is both extreme amounts of science and trial and error behind this. BTW, when you haven't eaten in a long time and you aren't hungry, it's from cortisol.

Based off of bodybuilding dogma, I do everything wrong. I train my full body 5-6 days a week, eat twice a day, and I'm growing on cyclic keto but hey, the Earth used to be flat too.

Wiki isn't a trusted reference source. I read that Cape Buffalo were like Iranians, covered in hair with horns on their heads, on Wiki. Now back to the discussion.

Irregardless, it's still not a word ;)

I completely disagree, there is no internal storage mechanism for protein, this is why the term "positive nitrogen balance" and "negative nitrogen balance" exist. If you eat all your protein in too few meals, you will go through long periods of negative nitrogen balance. Also, I don't think there is any evidence that "assimilation" which is dependant on the digestive system and its efficiency, has anything to do with weight training, muscle mass, or hormones.

If you lift weights and take steroids, it gives your body more reasons to need protein, and to use them.

My point about fasting is that prehistoric man did not eat every 3 hours like us, so when he ate, ate a lot of food and protein. The body would not say, "I already have 50 grams of protein in this meal, fuck with the rest".

I do not do IF because I prefer to have most spaced meals, but not because I think about protein synthesis and all that BS, so if someone wants to have 3 or 7 meals, it is a personal preference.

What do you guys think about the body only able to absorb so much protein, let's say two guys do everything the same but one guy spreads his protein through out the day and another guy takes it all in one serving , would there be any difference in muscle or strength gained , of course spreading it out makes more sense , but in the end would it matter on muscle or strength ,can the body only utilize so much per sitting

Based off this study, your workout likely matters more if Kcalorie demands are maintained. Organisms have three basic choices in life: adapt, migrate, or die. The human body, within reason, will adapt to the demands placed on it.

However, when consuming 1 meal/d, subjects had a significant increase in hunger; a significant modification of body composition, including reductions in fat mass; significant increases in blood pressure and in total, LDL-, and HDL-cholesterol concentrations; and a significant decrease in concentrations of cortisol.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear