over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

The end of a lifestyle! Then what?

Push50

Rep for Uncle Z.
Registered
What happens when you stop bodybuilding, do not eat a proper diet and quit working out?

We have all been there! Work demand. Family. Weather. I must admit, sometimes life just gets in the way, and I lose our foothold. I fall out of training. You may see this called “Detraining”, which basically means the loss of what you had due to a loss of stimulus through a lack of training that you have been used to.

That for me is a given. I know that if I quit working out I am not going to be able to maintain the muscle mass that I have accumulated. Typically, what else goes hand in hand with Detraining? Poor Diet! Damn Skippy it does. First, we miss a couple days at the gym, and this turns into a week or two weeks and the diet goes all to hell.

So initially, the thing everyone is going to focus on is the muscle atrophy. “Damn Bro! You gettin Small!” You will lose strength as you lose size. Some of the guys on these forum, like me, are 50+ and one of the first sings that we are going to see is that overhead lifts will become more difficult., our grip will weaken, we will have more muscle twitches, cramping and even balance can become unstable. That’s bad enough, but the issue is so much bigger than that. As we quit working out, we get lazy and that will be reflected in our diet. We will trade in years of counting macros for a for the quick and easy way out. It sucks but it’s true, and this poor diet is the greatest threat to you as you quit working out.

So what else can we expect?

You can expect everything that comes with a poor diet especially as we age. Cholesterol is a big issue in the US. The CDC indicates that 94 million adults ages 20 and older have a cholesterol level >200 and an estimated 28 million are at >240. That will become a problem. High Cholesterol is bad enough, but if you are not watching your labs, and have been running AAS or even TRT for years, chances are you have a high red blood cells count and a high level of hematocrit. That’s where the trouble will come in. This is going to put you at a greater risk of strokes and heart attacks. When the guys on this forum or any other for that matter talk about labs, its because we know the importance of them, and that’s when we are on a proper diet.

So, what else? Well we all know that we will lose muscle mass. What else have you noticed since taking up the lifestyle? Are your veins more pronounced? Yes, they are, partly due to the fact that they have had to accommodate the increase in red blood cells. But what come with that? Capillaries will begin to decrease as will their density. Tighter spaces mean greater risk again for heart attacks and strokes.

What about the heart? The brain? What changes will we have there. Well, lifting and cardio increase the heart rate and therefore blood flow. To maintain that flow, the heart will increase it’s stroke volume. That means that more blood will get to where we need it most. Have you ever noticed that when you get back form a run, or have great lifting day in the gym, your thoughts a clearer. That’s due to the increased stroke volume and blood flow. When we quit working out that blood flow and stroke volume are going to decrease just like the muscle mass. Thoughts will get cloudy and for us older guys, we will have more of these “Senior Moments”.

Sleep is always better for me when my workout and cardio routine are consistent. As we decrease our activity levels that good sleep we are used to will begin to diminish. Remember, sleep, deep sleep, is when the body really produces the GH and test. So, add insult to injury, now what your body would have made naturally, well you have gone and fucked that up as well.

The way I have if figured, is that I am in this for the duration. I will likely be on TRT the rest of my life and for me a proper diet will go right along with it. My gym is in my basement, that is my happy place so I cannot fathom the loss of my workouts. They seem to be what keeps me sane. I love the high protein, moderate fat/carb diet. I am not big on fast foods, soda or even eating out at restaurants for that matter. I mean don’t get me wrong, there are times I out of state for work and I eat out and I don’t see anything wrong with that. But if the lifestyle is left behind, we must be very mindful of where we are, where we are going and how we plan on getting there.

I tell you what: started when I was 18 -42 now - wife kids , manager job , still training. Why? Cause week has 168 hours, cant even imagine not dedicate 4-5 , how poor time management on my side needed to be? Hell I remember working out after nightshifts for a few years. Covid ?? I bought olympic bar and 100 kg for my home. Decided no matter what I will find time to take care about myself. Everyone should.

I haven't had any time off other then a short time after a surgery or when i am on vacation since i got my first gym membership in the 80's. Now that i am retired and in my 60's i am down to 4 meals a day. Used to be 5 + a shake year round for over 30 years. Training is something i did for peace of mind as much as anything. But the sense of satisfaction and challenge were right up there. Even when everything is done correctly age will catch up. Can't be superman forever. But if you challenge the brain and muscle they will deteriorate at a slower rate in my experience then with other people. And health is what you make of it.

I haven't had any time off other then a short time after a surgery or when i am on vacation since i got my first gym membership in the 80's. Now that i am retired and in my 60's i am down to 4 meals a day. Used to be 5 + a shake year round for over 30 years. Training is something i did for peace of mind as much as anything. But the sense of satisfaction and challenge were right up there. Even when everything is done correctly age will catch up. Can't be superman forever. But if you challenge the brain and muscle they will deteriorate at a slower rate in my experience then with other people. And health is what you make of it.
Went out with one daughters and her friend today. The friend was complaining about her professor, some old guy in his mid 50s. Her words. I guess she meant it in a way that the professor was out of touch. My daughter said my dad is 50.
The friend goes no way I thought you were 38. Her words.
Point being working out consistently since age 15 has kept me youthful and vibrant.
I also attribute it to my daily running and low dose gear use. I'm team swimmers body these days. Long gone are the red faced obviously juiced out look. Although someone asked me directly the other day what type of 'juice' I use.

Went out with one daughters and her friend today. The friend was complaining about her professor, some old guy in his mid 50s. Her words. I guess she meant it in a way that the professor was out of touch. My daughter said my dad is 50.
The friend goes no way I thought you were 38. Her words.
Point being working out consistently since age 15 has kept me youthful and vibrant.
I also attribute it to my daily running and low dose gear use. I'm team swimmers body these days. Long gone are the red faced obviously juiced out look. Although someone asked me directly the other day what type of 'juice' I use.
Ahh to be 50 again. Once i got into my 50's the poundage's started to slip. These days squatting 300 and change is about all i try for. That would have been a warm up 10 or 30 years ago. I never did have the red faced high blood pressure look. My BP cholesterol etc. were always good even on cycle without taking and meds. The joints are pretty worn out now. I get in an hour of LISS cardio most days with some higher stuff a coupe times a week along with the gym most days.

Ahh to be 50 again. Once i got into my 50's the poundage's started to slip. These days squatting 300 and change is about all i try for. That would have been a warm up 10 or 30 years ago. I never did have the red faced high blood pressure look. My BP cholesterol etc. were always good even on cycle without taking and meds. The joints are pretty worn out now. I get in an hour of LISS cardio most days with some higher stuff a coupe times a week along with the gym most days.
yeah.. funny thing is.. i noticed lifting pounds arent moving as fluidly as they used to.. could be the increased running that i've been focused on the last few years.
but i prefer the look i have now, as compared to my late 30s up until about 47.
during that time, i could barely walk on the treadmill(at 2mph) for 5mins, without having to hold onto the rails.
now i can burn off a few miles(at 6mph) without even thinking.. the trade off though, for me, is benching.. squats i've actually gotten stronger.

I never took time away, been doing it since 1978 and I'm going on 57 now... I hope to die jacked... Just later on down the line :)
Only been pinning since I turned 50 (TRT) so my health is great so far..

I’m 56 and still going. But I must admit, as others have pointed out, as I get older lifting is not as smooth as it once was. However, if I can eat right, do cardio and lift, and that slow the aging process then I am all in. I still bulk every year in the winter and cut in the late spring early summer (May/June). Here is a side by side of my last run. Completed Mid-August. 685F4B10-3710-4681-8E04-8D5A0128E905.jpeg

I haven’t competed in ten years but I am considering getting back into it. I love the discipline that is required and I love the roar of the crowd.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Pdx236
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131