over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

The mental benefit of hitting the weights

In a terrible sexless marriage for 15 years with three children.

I basically use work or weights to escape.

If I hadn't found bodybuilding in my life I have no idea where I would be. No joke. Not that I would be in jail or in trouble or anything if I hadn't but I would have not accomplished 1/10th of what I have accomplished in life. The thing I have done that I have noticed that a lot of people lack now are:

1) Man the fuck up
2) Don't fucking bitch and just complain about something being hard, just do it and do it fucking right.
3) Question everything and search for the why and how
4) Pure dedication. Don't make excuses to not do X, Y, or Z. When things get tough you have to push through. Don't just throw your hands in the air and say "I give up".

No doubt does it keep me healthy mentally and physically. It makes me a better person in all aspects of life. After having a long shitty day at work I look forward to the gym. It keeps me sober. And it constantly gives me goals to reach and attain. What else would I be doing? Work, go home, get fat,lazy and depressed. There are so many benefits from living an active lifestyle. I use to be on pain meds and anti depressants years ago after my accident. Now I realize I don't need that shit and it's thanks to the whole lifestyle not just the lifting part.

I've been thinking about a subject that seems to not get discussed much. That is, the mental perks of training.

I heard someone say recently that it was hard to get motivated when "off" and feeling progress in the gym was going to be much more difficult. We focus a lot on progress and looking better and getting stronger, but the mental aspect is huge for me. For example…

Earlier this year I was really stressed and worried because of my health issue. It was a huge mental weight on me, still is. I remember a couple guys in my gym telling me "I can't believe you are in here training during chemo". My response was, yes, it is hard. I have to pace myself, I'm tired most of the time and I am weak, but the benefit is the same. I walk out of here feeling better than when I walked in. I feel better physically and AND MENTALLY. It helped me tremendously to deal with all that.

My point is, we ALL have to deal with worry and stress from time to time. That is life. But doesn't hitting the iron help you deal with it mentally? Don't you love that "second lease" on life feeling you have after training?

I always feel better mentally when done. Physically not so much.

Honestly there are 3 twilight moments for me in life :-

1. Being with a naked beautiful woman
2. A phenomenal workout
3. An amazing computer game

To expand further on this "twilight", its just when I am in that zone I become totally encompassed with that moment completely removed from everything else. No matter how shit a day I have had 1 of these 3 will cheer me up and totally remove me from dull monotony of reality!

I will never stop lifting purely due to how good it does feel , its like a euphoric release, even when I am cruising or off, still i need to hit it , honestly its like therapy for me.

My perfect list there

I like the list, I have one out of 3, was thinking about getting the latest Diablo installment but it means getting a better computer with a better graphics and sound card blah blah blah...
And to add to Bricks OP, working out makes me feel really good, its my therapy and keeps me from being out of control with my temper.
Conversely when my training starts to suck, it really frustrates me and I found it odd that it can actually worsen my mood in some aspects.
But great post just the same, for the most part, the benefits cannot be denied.

Get diablo. Best game ever made. Much better on console though. I couldn't play on PC a controls are awefull IMO. Pick up a cheap ps3 on eBay i would. Ps4 version is incredible though. No load times

Most of us yes we use the iron as an outlet. Additionally there are psychological studies that imply exercises reduces depression and stress .
However - it's all in a persons attitude / so many place too much importance on certain goals or how they look that they become impatient or stressed out because they overcomplicate things . It takes a strong mind to progress . Self discipline , peseverence and the biggie .... Patience . While these come easy to many of us. For others it can be a living hell. I think it's up to those of us that have found bodybuilding to be a panacea , to outreach those who may not have the motivation and try to inspire those less fortunate . Sharing our knowledge , helping with a routine and advice . So many obsess over things that hold them back

LICSW/MSW/cscs/ USArmyVet

No matter how bad life gets, I always leave then gym feeling better. It clears my mind and brings me inner peace if even for a day. It's enough to get me through until the next day. The endorphine rush is the best. Thecfeeling of personal satisfaction I the best. Every workout is a lot of painful hard work and therefore a great accomplishment. I'm grateful for everything the gym has brought my way. Even the injuries have taught me to be stronger inside, and a better person.

I work in public accounting so the hours can get long from Jan-April and June-September, any time I can get a nice workout in during those times, I do.

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
12cc
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws