over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

The most important lipid panel marker

pesty4077

Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Staff member
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Interesting, I always had high LDL while my HDL and triglycerides were always good.

old timer

Registered
Interesting, I always had high LDL while my HDL and triglycerides were always good.
Me too.

I had been looking at the total/HDL ratio which some think is more important than just the total cholesterol. The fact that 1/2 of those with heart disease in that large study had an LDL of less than 100 was interesting.

nothuman

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered

Me too.

I had been looking at the total/HDL ratio which some think is more important than just the total cholesterol. The fact that 1/2 of those with heart disease in that large study had an LDL of less than 100 was interesting.

If you guys ever do an NMR Lipoprofile test, it'll tell you both LDL-C (the usual one on standard lipid panels) and LDL-P. The latter is actually the more important of the two.

suppdude

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
What's everyones Trig/HDL ratio coming out to?

opietaylor

Registered
1.75 on test, tren, gh accompanied by 30-40 minutes of cardio everyday and a diet with moderate healthy fat, moderate protein, cycled carbs eod in and out.

going back 3 years looking a bloodwork and what I was doing at the time cardio and diet have a huge effect despite what compounds you may be running. processed carbs & orals are the devil. eliminate those 2 and im pretty much always below or around 2.

MyNameIsJeff

Kilo Klub Member
I haven't delved too deep into this topic yet, but at first sight I'm skeptical of the article. The studies referred to are from 1988 and 1997. We have learned a lot in the past 30 years with regards to methodology and we have a shit ton more data now.

That being said, after going through more recent papers I'm still unsure what to believe. There is a lot of contradictory findings even from similar RCTs and meta-analyses of the same set of studies.

I'm very skeptical of the 'big pharma' conspiracy theories, but on this case the medical establishment really seems to be pushing LDL reduction and statin use despite the lack of conclusive evidence, selectively picking studies that support their points while ignoring negative findings.

This recent opinion piece neatly summarizes how we still know very little:
Cholesterol paradox: a correlate does not a surrogate make | Evidence-Based Medicine

lif22

Registered
I wouldnt call it a conspiracy theory more like an agenda. If there is no correlation in LDL and heart disease (actually there is but its if you have low LDL your more likely to have heart disease) then how can they make billions.

aphextwin

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
You guys with 60-70 HDL level are lucky. I will say at one point I was not working out and eating garbage, and my HDL was 48. The only thing I took was Krill and Fish oil. Also, a tablespoon of EVOO once a day.

I still don't understand what to look for.

nothuman

Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
You guys with 60-70 HDL level are lucky. I will say at one point I was not working out and eating garbage, and my HDL was 48. The only thing I took was Krill and Fish oil. Also, a tablespoon of EVOO once a day.

I still don't understand what to look for.

Yea my HDL peaks at 53. It won't get higher than this no matter what I do but all my longevity markers were really good so I am happy about it.

nothuman

Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
I haven't delved too deep into this topic yet, but at first sight I'm skeptical of the article. The studies referred to are from 1988 and 1997. We have learned a lot in the past 30 years with regards to methodology and we have a shit ton more data now.

That being said, after going through more recent papers I'm still unsure what to believe. There is a lot of contradictory findings even from similar RCTs and meta-analyses of the same set of studies.

I'm very skeptical of the 'big pharma' conspiracy theories, but on this case the medical establishment really seems to be pushing LDL reduction and statin use despite the lack of conclusive evidence, selectively picking studies that support their points while ignoring negative findings.

This recent opinion piece neatly summarizes how we still know very little:
Cholesterol paradox: a correlate does not a surrogate make | Evidence-Based Medicine

I agree there is a lot more to look for than just Trig/HDL ratio as we have learned over the past two decades but you have to admit, it is a meaningful number along with other tests.

MyNameIsJeff

Kilo Klub Member
I agree there is a lot more to look for than just Trig/HDL ratio as we have learned over the past two decades but you have to admit, it is a meaningful number along with other tests.
I agree that the ratio is a good predictor of cardiovascular disease, but the question is whether a high Trig/HDL causes cardiovascular disease. So the same problem we have with LDL: We know it correlates with CVD, but that doesn't mean that lowering LDL will reduce the risk, or only mask a symptom.

The thing is, a high trig/HDL ratio is typically observed in people with diabetes, obesity, or metabolic syndrome. Those conditions increase CVD risk, but most likely not through their impact on Triglycerides and HDL. So if you then run a simple regression of the Trig/HDL ratio on CV events, the results cannot be interpreted as showing a causal relationship. The conclusion is therefore not to change your Trig/HDL ratio with supps or meds. Instead, the recommendation should be to maintain good insulin sensitivity, to keep body fat low, and to consume an anti-inflammatory diet.

So looking at the Trig/HDL ratio may be useful to check how you are doing on those fronts, but other measures, like Hba1c, CRP, your body fat, may be even more useful.

Last edited:

thethinker48

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Verified Customer
Dr. Peter Attia (goes in depth a bit) on what's behind heart disease:

https://peterattiamd.com/heart-disease-begin-tell-us-prevention/

Interesting to read his lack of faith in calcium scores, angiograms, angioplasties as any form of prevention against myocardial infarctions; just a myriad of stuff we have just taken at face value over the years...

Basically: pathologists understand heart disease better than cardiologists apparently :)

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
anonbb