over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

The Mountain Dog/John Meadows Way

Awesome article just wondering what frequency is recommended?

once a week except for calves, and abs, can do more there..

my split looks lke this:

Sat - legs
Sund - chest /shoulders
Tues - back, calves
Thurs - Arms, abs.

other days off - you have to rest to grow....

JM

John-Any tips for someone who cant squat. I have 6 screws in my left shoulder so consequently i have limited ROM when i raise my arm. I just physically cant get my hand far enough back to grab the bar. I cant even grab the bar for smith machine squats.

Happy For You...

John, very happy for you friend... glad to see good things going your way. Great read... you have A LOT to offer.

is this type of training incorporated all the way until show time? or is it necessary to taper off some of the volume (not really the intensity) as the contest approaches? seems pretty hardcore, def' my style of lifting.

I really enjoyed the write up Meadows. I'd like to see more, esp the german volume hybrid you were talkin about

I went at least 25 weeks with no cruise. Took a slight break, a week for vacation and then a few weeks break from eating a lot but training kept the same so basically a weeks cruise in the last 10 months or so....actually wait its been a lot longer then that...started Last oct or November and at Christmas time we cruised for a little while....but I do not feel like I get burned out with this training and John hasnt given me any scheduled cruises.

is this type of training incorporated all the way until show time? or is it necessary to taper off some of the volume (not really the intensity) as the contest approaches? seems pretty hardcore, def' my style of lifting.
I did johns leg workouts all the way through to the show and actually got stronger doing it!!! :eek: :headbang:

b-boy...was it more of the volume you think that got your legs to respond or the different schemes involved with MD training?
My legs improved from jr nats to tricky's show by doing dc just for 8 weeks so I would be curious after nationals this friday if the MD method might be beneficial for me to try..

John-Any tips for someone who cant squat. I have 6 screws in my left shoulder so consequently i have limited ROM when i raise my arm. I just physically cant get my hand far enough back to grab the bar. I cant even grab the bar for smith machine squats.

Squats are the king of all exercises...BUT no reason why you can't get awesome legs without them. I would use full range leg presses as your base exercise, and punish the hell out of that exercise. Mix it up. rep range, foot placement, everything..hit em from all angles on that machine. Use alot of hack squats when your legs are already pumped....if those are your two core quad exercises, your in business...and I assume you read the article so you know I like leg curls first in leg routine, and stiff leg, RD, type stretching movements last..

JM

I think a huge mistake people make is going too light the last few weeks before a show. You do have to be careful...and that's where preexhaustion comes in handy. You get the muscle full of blood, and somewhat weakened (just alittle), and then you can do compound type movements much safer. You may not be using as much weight, but if you are working your ass off, that is what your body will know. My strength goes up until the last week on most stuff except squat, becasue I lose my gut..

sometimes you do have to taper off the volume...but not becasue I just think I should. Do it because your body is telling you too. Maybe your muscle are so depleted they just feel dead and can't push through the volume, so your better to reduce. I believe in being very instictual and in tune with your body to make decisions like that...

JM

One thought...

Squats are the king of all exercises...BUT no reason why you can't get awesome legs without them. I would use full range leg presses as your base exercise, and punish the hell out of that exercise. Mix it up. rep range, foot placement, everything..hit em from all angles on that machine. Use alot of hack squats when your legs are already pumped....if those are your two core quad exercises, your in business...and I assume you read the article so you know I like leg curls first in leg routine, and stiff leg, RD, type stretching movements last..

JM

Hey John, I hope I can offer one suggestion (I don't exactly have tree trunk legs yet, but I went through a similar problem)

I slipped a disc for awhile but I was still able to do front squats on the Smith with no problems... it kept the movement controlled, the load off my spine... and should be good for those with limited ROM in the shoulder.

Hey John, I hope I can offer one suggestion (I don't exactly have tree trunk legs yet, but I went through a similar problem)

I slipped a disc for awhile but I was still able to do front squats on the Smith with no problems... it kept the movement controlled, the load off my spine... and should be good for those with limited ROM in the shoulder.

great idea....I do them on occasion to mix it up. Smart way to do it - good advice.

JM

Thanks a ton for the advice JM. :headbang::headbang:

John, would you be willing to write a similar article for upper-body training?

So, I did the drop set, like in the video...each side..9 plates for 12, 7 for 15, 5 for 18, 3, feet in close, for 22.... oh my effin stars....good stuff...deep muscle DOMS.

b-boy...was it more of the volume you think that got your legs to respond or the different schemes involved with MD training?
My legs improved from jr nats to tricky's show by doing dc just for 8 weeks so I would be curious after nationals this friday if the MD method might be beneficial for me to try..
more volume + the fact that john attatcks the legs from all freakin angles you can imagine has helped tremendously. some days i walk out and my inner thighs are killing me, some days i walk out and my teardrop is killing me, every week was something different and attacking the legs from different angles targeting specific muscles of the leg. :lightbulb:

Thx b-boy...I am going to have to read more on this stuff..I was going to try DC for 6 weeks and then float to something else...I think I might have stumbled on it :) ..my inner thighs suck and I need more sweep work so when you said inner thighs my heart fluttered :cool:

John do you have a stance on the prescription of cardio when in a leg growth phase?

John do you have a stance on the prescription of cardio when in a leg growth phase?

Yes, I NEVER let anyone do cardio on leg day or the day after. It is just to important to rest and rejuvenate. Everybody is different in terms of cardio needs, but generally speaking I am a fan of lower intensity cardio pre-contest..I know I know..you don't burn much..it's boring,etc. I just see to many people lose their legs come showtime when they overdo cardio..or do it too intensely...

Personally I walk around the neighborhood for 35-40 minutes as a good clip.

A little cardio 2-3 times a week can be beneficial in the offseason, but generally I like to avoid it...

JM

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner