over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

The price some pay to get big, why?

Before I begin this thread, let me just start by saying this is in no way a knock to bodybuilding, or to anybody who is trying to achieve their dream of being pro. But I just think there are far too many people out there throwing their lives away for it. For something that will never happen no matter how many drugs they use, how many chicken breasts they eat, or no matter how hard they train. It just wasn't the hand they were dealt and they cannot come to that realization. In today's game the genetics you need and the lengths you have to go through are so extreme most cannot even grasp the concept. When I first got into working out it was out of curiosity, then it became a hobby, then a goal, then an obsession. Then it became doing whatever I could to get bigger and better, no matter what the financial burden was. And as I was usually in the heat of the moment, was too ignorant to realize it. As I became more and more involved with the sport I started meeting more guys in the competitive side of things. Some were responsible and had legit jobs, families, other things going for them. But a large handful had nothing but the gym. Guys who were basically losers but legends in their own minds. I'm talking chumps who still lived at home in their 30's, had to borrow money from their parents to train for a show, made their wife or girlfriend pay for everything to support them, you name it. At the gym they were the top dog, but what were they in everyday life? Guys who have no idea how they will retire, living from one fast cash gig to the next. Some of them might as well just take a gun to their head if they cannot lift weights anymore. All I'm saying is have a life, there is so much more to life than the weight room. I'm writing this thread because I have friends who have nothing, and/or are losing everything they ever had because of this bodybuilding dream. I've come to realize I'd rather be the 60 year old guy on the golf course someday talking about my bodybuilding days, rather than the 60 year old guy with nothing still trying to impress people who dont give a shit about him anyways. Just my .02

Very insightful, philosophical perspective! Im going to chime in on this:
It's different for many people. TO each his own reason for the severe obsession and DRIVE for SIZE and POWER.
For me...
Bodybuilding is a HIGH, it's a RUSH, and the PAIN that you go through in the gym is the GREATEST feeling in the damn world. How far can you take the pain, can you overcome the most AFFLICTING, TORMEINTING PAIN that the weights throw at you? Your muscle fibers SCREAM for mercy, but you go on and on, repping out, growing serious size, and having POWER. Then comes the pump, the feelings of euphoria grow stronger and stronger.
Bodybuilding is about CRUSHING the mental PAIN of sadness, depression, and remorse that grips many people. Bodybuilding is about FIGHTING PAIN WITH PAIN!
Thats the bottom line!
Now how far can you take your body to be??? 220 pounds? 250 pounds? 300 pounds? Life suddenly becomes interesting!

its all bout the goals. people set goals for them selves usualy to high. especialy in body building. goals are great and every one should have them but never make a impossible goal. one of two things happens you get crushed by it or if become an obbession just like you said.

Very insightful, philosophical perspective! Im going to chime in on this:
It's different for many people. TO each his own reason for the severe obsession and DRIVE for SIZE and POWER.
For me...
Bodybuilding is a HIGH, it's a RUSH, and the PAIN that you go through in the gym is the GREATEST feeling in the damn world. How far can you take the pain, can you overcome the most AFFLICTING, TORMEINTING PAIN that the weights throw at you? Your muscle fibers SCREAM for mercy, but you go on and on, repping out, growing serious size, and having POWER. Then comes the pump, the feelings of euphoria grow stronger and stronger.
Bodybuilding is about CRUSHING the mental PAIN of sadness, depression, and remorse that grips many people. Bodybuilding is about FIGHTING PAIN WITH PAIN!
Thats the bottom line!
Now how far can you take your body to be??? 220 pounds? 250 pounds? 300 pounds? Life suddenly becomes interesting!

Yes, all very true. But when you are late on a house payment because of a kit of GH, start screwing people over to get more shit for yourself, lose your wife and kids over the shit, cannot keep a job because it might interfere with your bodybuilding and/or eating, you have developed a problem. One that later you may regret. That's the side of it I was talking about

Yes, all very true. But when you are late on a house payment because of a kit of GH, start screwing people over to get more shit for yourself, lose your wife and kids over the shit, cannot keep a job because it might interfere with your bodybuilding and/or eating, you have developed a problem. One that later you may regret. That's the side of it I was talking about

Bodybuilding can be like a serious drug addiction! I KNOW THIS!!! You want MORE and MORE and MORE, but you can't seem to get enough of it.
Sure, in the same degree as recreational drugs, bodybuilding can KILL you if you abuse it. Some people are cool with lifting weights...they can lift 3 times a week, party on the weekend, eat a regular 2,000 calories a day, and not really put much thought into it, on the OTHER HAND, some people NEED to pump out 1000% intensity into bodybuilding...eat 6+ meals a day, constantly pop pills and inject substances all day long, and STILL NOT GET ENOUGH!
Why? Because those people that NEED MORE AND MORE AND MORE SIZE AND POWER (And that is EXPENSIVE!), are the people that eventually become consumed with financial problems, borrow money from loved ones, cheat, drug deal, steal, etc etc...
it's a downward spiral, and those people (probably 90% or so of those people do NOT have the genetic capability to become pros, are in DEEP DENIAL about it, they keep STRIVING for a pro card, all the while SPIRALING DOWNWARD, and SERIOUSLY need to reanalyze priorities in life or take a vacation to the Dominican Republic for a culo fest!
There needs to be more insightful threads like this to get us THINKING with our BIG HEAD and not our MUSCLES. Good job ABOLISHTHEWEAK!

Last edited:
you are absolutely right with this post and your initial post, some people do throw their lives away chasing a dream and do not know the meaning of the words "balance in your life"

Before I begin this thread, let me just start by saying this is in no way a knock to bodybuilding, or to anybody who is trying to achieve their dream of being pro. But I just think there are far too many people out there throwing their lives away for it. For something that will never happen no matter how many drugs they use, how many chicken breasts they eat, or no matter how hard they train. It just wasn't the hand they were dealt and they cannot come to that realization. In today's game the genetics you need and the lengths you have to go through are so extreme most cannot even grasp the concept. When I first got into working out it was out of curiosity, then it became a hobby, then a goal, then an obsession. Then it became doing whatever I could to get bigger and better, no matter what the financial burden was. And as I was usually in the heat of the moment, was too ignorant to realize it. As I became more and more involved with the sport I started meeting more guys in the competitive side of things. Some were responsible and had legit jobs, families, other things going for them. But a large handful had nothing but the gym. Guys who were basically losers but legends in their own minds. I'm talking chumps who still lived at home in their 30's, had to borrow money from their parents to train for a show, made their wife or girlfriend pay for everything to support them, you name it. At the gym they were the top dog, but what were they in everyday life? Guys who have no idea how they will retire, living from one fast cash gig to the next. Some of them might as well just take a gun to their head if they cannot lift weights anymore. All I'm saying is have a life, there is so much more to life than the weight room. I'm writing this thread because I have friends who have nothing, and/or are losing everything they ever had because of this bodybuilding dream. I've come to realize I'd rather be the 60 year old guy on the golf course someday talking about my bodybuilding days, rather than the 60 year old guy with nothing still trying to impress people who dont give a shit about him anyways. Just my .02
You are right in the respect that looking huge in cloths and looking HUGE on stage are two different things. Unfortunately, some don't want to accept the reality that at a certain level you need it all - discipline, genetics, drugs.

But I won't give a bad wrap to a guy that follows a dream, an obsession as you called it. Garth Brooks once said that there were all sorts of singers in Nashville that could put him to shame with their voice but for one reason or another they never made it.

Yes sometimes it is a necessity to see reality but maybe, just maybe, they'll find their calling along the way - like Dan Duchaine. Who are we to judge them?

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
GFly
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws