over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

The pump

Isn't the 'Pump', the blood being pumped to that particular muscle?? Well then, how the hell else do you stimulate the muscle fibers?? Seriously I am actually asking this question...not just being a smart ass.

My observation

I dont chase the pump. I think Conan21 has a lot of good things to say. If you get an "honest" workout lifting heavy weights and a pump comes with it, it is a good sign that your in an anabolic state. A good pump means that your tissue is very insulin sensitive, and thats a good thing. I would not force it by trying to saturate my muscles with fluid doing 20-30 reps however.

Phil

And here I was thinking that you were talking about YOUR pump - you know the one... ;)

Jbomb

You recruit your muscle fibers from lifting weights obviously. the act of applying force with the muscle. not the act of cramming blood and lactic acid into the muscle.

when you use 80% of your 1RM. you are reqruiting ALL muscle fibers from the very first repition. some people think that training to failure is what recruits all fibers but taht is wrong (thats waht it takes when you are using SUPER HIGH REP schemes).

when you use 80% of your 1RM, all fibers are being recruited. and with each successive rep, rate coding and syncronization is what increase after that.

for example, say a muscle has 10 muscle fibers, I use 10 just for simplicity reasons. when you use 80% all 10 fibers will be recruited from rep 1 but these fibers take turns "pulling".

this is pretty close to how it works, say 5 fire off, then the other 5 fire, then its 6/4. 7/3 and so on untill all 10 fire at the same time. this is known as rate coding. after fibers are all firing in unison, the begin to fire faster and faster (syncronization).

so as you can see low rep training can be a great tool. heres an example of how to get a great pump with low rep training that will be sure to cause muscle hypertrophy. I'v just explained that all fibers are recruited from the 1st rep with 80%. training closer to failure may make them work harder for a given amount of time but that also leads to ton of neural and CNS fatigue. my keeping instensity levels high and also using volume(sets) you can throughly tax those fibers without overly indulging in CNS burnout.

heres an easy example of how to apply this method, chose a weight that falls with in 80-85% of your 1 RM on say bench press.

Perform 3 reps per set, and perform 8 to 10 sets.
use a controlled negative and BANG out the concentric.

heres how u get the pump. you need to monitor the rest times. If you wait too long in between sets you have the Tension but not the fatigue and this is what will cause the hypertrophy effect.

Rest a minute to a minute and half between each set. the first few sets will be easy, but the pump will be begin to grow as fatigue sets in.

so with this workout you repeatly exposing those high thresold motor units to stress, with each set you are having higher levles of rate/coding and syncronization; you are becoming very skilled in the bench press, and you are following the law of repeated effort. You are providing the muscle with ample stimulation and minimizinge CNS stress by using heavy weights but not training to failure.

give that workout a try and tell me if you do not get a terrific pump.

Last edited:
Conan, Thanks for that post!!

PHIL HERNON said:
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Please bury this. I promise to be a good boy from now on!!!

It's a bit big to bury! :D

Rocket Science this ain't

I used to think it was good and the better the pump the bigger i was getting... I got advice on how to train after 24 years of training and the pump is the least of my worries now...it is over rated..you'll over train waiting for the pump to happen at each workout...

Phil's training has worked on me like nothing else i have ever done and i rarely if ever get a pump but i am bigger,thicker and leaner then ever...enough said

I used to think that the pump mattered, then when I was about 19 or 20, I got to work out with a local powerlifter and did nothing but squats for an hour, but only like 2 or 3 reps a set. Just doing them over and over, weights moved up and down, felt like about 15 or so sets (lost count actually, could've been more). Legs never got pumped, I assumed I got a shitty workout and never wanted to train with the powerlifter again.

The next day, I could barely get out of bed. Felt like someone took a baseball bat to my legs. getting dressed and down the stairs was a joke. Had to call into work and the whole deal because I was so freaking crippled. Probably the first lesson I ever had that high reps weren't the best for muscle and that I could do it on lower reps, but didn't really start low rep training until I turned 26 or so 4 years ago.

Now I alternate: someworkouts if I feel like I can't lug the big iron because of injuries, cold, or GF pissed me off, I just lower the weight and go for a good searing burn. The pump is nice, but I know I get good results without it.

I've never really been after the pump. Lifting heavier and harder every session has done me well. If I get a pump in the process, so be it.

Thanks for starting this thread Phil .........definately a valid dicussion point . Hopefully there will be lots more threads of this nature in the future .
I never thought much of the pump . I think I realized in the 6-7th grade that I could do high rep stuff like push ups and chins and look swole right after the sets , but after the pump had left there wasn't enough stress to cause a size increase . Heavy progressive training is what causes adaption .[ as long as you are not just getting better at the exercises and taking the stress off the muscle being trained .......ie ......excesive cheating or powerlifter technique....that is where most go wrong I think when it comes to progressive overload ....one must keep maxium stress on the muscle being worked while getting stronger ] Yes , there is a fine line between recovery , fequency , and frying the CNS . But I do believe DC , Big A's ,and Phil's systems toe the line the best when it comes to this . [ although nobody has down pact just yet I am afraid ] Phil made the most interesting statement here and I agree with him . When one is in the optimium anabolic state via nutrition and supps . The pumps come quite intensely and quickly even during heavy low rep type training and I conquer that this is due to increased insulin sensitivity as well . Great observation Phil . Point to remember , have your ducks in a row if you plan to grow . Nutrition being number one [ create that growth environment ] , then get stronger [ but keep all the stress on the muscle being trained .....do just cheat or alter form in some way ] . With those two things achieved one will surely see some solid gains weither the pump is obtained or not .....

Power and Pump

The best workouts are Power & Pump workouts. This does not need to be a ton of sets. A compound movement followed by an iso is all thats needed.
2 warm up sets and 1 work set for the compound 4-8 reps and then 1 set of the iso for 10-15 reps. This will give you all the pump you need.
Also full body workouts started with deadlift or squat will also get the blood flowing through the body and as you hit your other bodyparts the pump will be much greater.

MM

I think there is Truth to both sides of the argument

all that i was saying was that the pump just comes when you train good. but is by FAR not the most important part of the equation. You should feel a good pump from your training. the pump will be much greater when you body is loaded up with nutrients and glycogen as Phil said. its usually an indicator you are in an anabolic state and not overtrained when the pump comes easily.

i found this a article just now on Chris Acetos Training question of the Month (nutramedia site). it deals with "is the Pump important or not". was pretty surprised to see this topic as it was just being discussed on here.

Training Question Of the Month
by Chris Aceto
Should I try to train for the pump?

With all the nitric oxide products out these days, everyone is talking about the pump. Arnold talked about it in the movie Pumping Iron, and every bodybuilder who has trained with weights knows how great a pump feels. A pump is the feeling you get when the muscles are gorged with blood and blood flow to a muscle is an important component affecting muscle growth. When you train a muscle, the muscles drag blood, oxygen and nutrients inside which results in greater fluid content within a special part of the muscle called the sarcoplasm. When fluid is trapped in the muscles, not only do they temporarily increase in size, but they set off a few events that are helpful to growth. The first is an increase in lactic acid production, the by product of sugar breakdown, which causes an increase in the production of growth hormone. With increased growth hormone levels, the body builder will experience less muscle breakdown as higher growth hormone levels help prevent the loss or breakdown of protein and muscle mass. The other benefit of a greater pump; greater nutrient delivery to muscles. One study also showed muscle pain can indirectly influence fat burning during weight training. The study found that working muscles release a chemical called interleukin-6, which can help break down body fat. The more pain involved- the more interleukin-6 produced, which would mean greater fat breakdown. Anyone who has experienced a skin splitting pump can tell you it’s a weird feeling. It feels great because the muscles are gorged with blood and fluid but at the same time, it can be painful. Part of the pain mechanisms is associated with greater Interleukin-6 levels which helps in shedding body fat.

Before you set out to include lots of high rep sets to pump up the muscles, keep in mind that muscle growth depends on “the pump.” A pump is an indicator your muscles are responding, your nutrition is adequate and you are not overtrained. However, the pump alone, will not lead to significantly greater gains in muscle size. In terms of adding size, the primary facet influencing muscle development is the recruitment of as many muscle fibers as possible. And muscle fiber recruitment depends on the stress you place on a muscle – generally the weight – first, a distant second is the “pump.” That means, it is more important to try to lift heavier – with good form of course- then it is to work with a lighter weight in a higher rep range chasing the best pump possible. It boils down to this; it’s better to work the muscle, to recruit as many fibers as possible with a heavier poundage and forget about the pump. If your nutrition is adequate and you are not overtrained, you’ll get a pump anyway. If you chase the pump and try to perform lots of sets and lots of reps to get the best feeling pump you can hope for- you might not use heavy enough weights to recruit the fibers you need to recruit in order to really stimulate true muscle growth.

Last edited:
Conan21 said:
all that i was saying was that the pump just comes when you train good. but is by FAR not the most important part of the equation. You should feel a good pump from your training. the pump will be much greater when you body is loaded up with nutrients and glycogen as Phil said. its usually an indicator you are in an anabolic state and not overtrained when the pump comes easily.

i found this a article just now on Chris Acetos Training question of the Month (nutramedia site). it deals with "is the Pump important or not". was pretty surprised to see this topic as it was just being discussed on here.

Training Question Of the Month
by Chris Aceto
Should I try to train for the pump?

With all the nitric oxide products out these days, everyone is talking about the pump. Arnold talked about it in the movie Pumping Iron, and every bodybuilder who has trained with weights knows how great a pump feels. A pump is the feeling you get when the muscles are gorged with blood and blood flow to a muscle is an important component affecting muscle growth. When you train a muscle, the muscles drag blood, oxygen and nutrients inside which results in greater fluid content within a special part of the muscle called the sarcoplasm. When fluid is trapped in the muscles, not only do they temporarily increase in size, but they set off a few events that are helpful to growth. The first is an increase in lactic acid production, the by product of sugar breakdown, which causes an increase in the production of growth hormone. With increased growth hormone levels, the body builder will experience less muscle breakdown as higher growth hormone levels help prevent the loss or breakdown of protein and muscle mass. The other benefit of a greater pump; greater nutrient delivery to muscles. One study also showed muscle pain can indirectly influence fat burning during weight training. The study found that working muscles release a chemical called interleukin-6, which can help break down body fat. The more pain involved- the more interleukin-6 produced, which would mean greater fat breakdown. Anyone who has experienced a skin splitting pump can tell you it’s a weird feeling. It feels great because the muscles are gorged with blood and fluid but at the same time, it can be painful. Part of the pain mechanisms is associated with greater Interleukin-6 levels which helps in shedding body fat.

Before you set out to include lots of high rep sets to pump up the muscles, keep in mind that muscle growth depends on “the pump.” A pump is an indicator your muscles are responding, your nutrition is adequate and you are not overtrained. However, the pump alone, will not lead to significantly greater gains in muscle size. In terms of adding size, the primary facet influencing muscle development is the recruitment of as many muscle fibers as possible. And muscle fiber recruitment depends on the stress you place on a muscle – generally the weight – first, a distant second is the “pump.” That means, it is more important to try to lift heavier – with good form of course- then it is to work with a lighter weight in a higher rep range chasing the best pump possible. It boils down to this; it’s better to work the muscle, to recruit as many fibers as possible with a heavier poundage and forget about the pump. If your nutrition is adequate and you are not overtrained, you’ll get a pump anyway. If you chase the pump and try to perform lots of sets and lots of reps to get the best feeling pump you can hope for- you might not use heavy enough weights to recruit the fibers you need to recruit in order to really stimulate true muscle growth.

Good Article. THis is why i stated i do 1-2 high rep warmup sets FIRST squeezing the muscle making it work, but being very careful not to tax it or drain any of its energy... before i start my heavy compounds at the beginning of my workout. I might take long rest periods, but i feel slightly pumped throughout, which not only is important, but i feel it helps me "feel" the muscle better during the heavy sets. Then after my heavy compounds and im pretty sure i wrecked the 2b/2a fibers to a good extent, i speed up my rest periods, keep my reps 10-12 sometimes 19 im not feelin the 10-12 range, and get a skin bursting pump until i feel it start to fade, that means im done.

I also feel drinking a pre/during workout simple carb drink with some fast digesting whey isolate, some bcaas, and some creatine help me get a much stronger pump than if i didnt use it. Not loaded, just enough so its a very thin drink and wont divert any of my blood away from my muscles to the stomach for digestion. Its a staple in my workouts.

Yea, TP4U, I drink something very similar to what you drink before/during my workout.. I especially notice I hold my pump longer when I drink it vs. if I don't. It's definitely a good boost for the ole' training session.

Want a boost try this.

75g Dextrose
40g Whey Isolate
10g Creatine (NOT Ethyl Ester, you dont want time release here)
5g BCAAs
*2-3g TYROSINE!* this gives you a big mental boost

Fill up your shaker, drink HALF about 15min before your workout, then fill the shaker back up with water to water it down and thin it out and sip on it during your workout. Should finnish it about half way through, finnish your workout, then have your PW shake.

Phil,

you have a good idea of my workout cause you got me on it, be honest if I am doing my two sets right I am extremly pumped, if not I didnt go itense enuff or been eating way too little, I btw am getting leaner and doing a short 20-30 min cardio everyday.

key

Iabadman said:
When one is in the optimium anabolic state via nutrition and supps . The pumps come quite intensely and quickly even during heavy low rep type training and I conquer that this is due to increased insulin sensitivity as well . Great observation Phil . Point to remember , have your ducks in a row if you plan to grow . Nutrition being number one [ create that growth environment
this is the key point, all that needs to be said, its not about chasing the pump but its about creating the environment where pumps and growth come automatically. when this anabolic state/growth environment/insulin sensitivity is achieved then growth and the pump will become one. If and when this environment is created you should experience pumps as well as growth if and only if its done correctly

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Spinaltap88
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131