over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

The squat and what it does????

BALDNAZI

FOUNDING Member / Featured Member/ Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
I have been neglecting my legs for quite sometime,and although my quads are nice I feel that my upper body development and total bodyweight had hit a plateau.So 3 weeks ago I started squatting.I fucking love it.Im getting stronger every workout,Im thicker and just feel stronger overall.My deadlifts and bench are progressing nicely as well.Im 260 now without real wheels,so I imagine with some mass added to the legs I will break past 280 during the cycle I am on right now.
My question is what exactly does the squat do to you?I have heard it releases hormones etc,but for a juiced up guy like me that must be negligable.So there must be another reason it just improves everything else on your body.So what do you guys think,and what can I expect in terms of overall size and strength by adding the squat?

All I know is after a heavy set of squats I feel like I can run through a brick wall.Its a great exercise and Im kicking myself for not doing them all this time........

Next time you have the bar on your back, think about how many muscles you are using. That's why it's such an effective exercise for adding mass.

PB

BN,

Everytime I start squatting heavy when I haven't been, my bodyweight shoots up 10lbs. with no diet adjustments....keep it up...

SB

What PB Said

Exactly what PB said.
There is a tone of work being done by the low back, abs, traps, etc. Machine Movements like leg press don't overload these muscles. It's really tough to expose these muscles to the kind of loads that you can squat as compared to other isolation movements. So they tend to respond well to the overload.

BALDNAZI said:

All I know is after a heavy set of squats I feel like I can run through a brick wall.Its a great exercise and Im kicking myself for not doing them all this time........

I'm with ya on the squats, BN. Don't know about feeling like I could run through a wall after a tough set, though. Maybe vomit on the wall... LOL

-Randy

Trunk Strength

Squat is a major trunk exercise. Even little 130# ninjas thought the abdomen had mystical powers "ki" whatever. If your trunk is weak (your back and abs) your whole body is weak. Every powerlifter I ever knew made squat thier number one lift. If they skipped a session, it wasnt on leg day. Leg day (and the attendant vomit) separate the men and the boys. 280 is a sure bet for you BN if youve not squatted until now

:cool:

I remember reading an article on Tom Platz when I was a kid. He said that if could only do one exercise it would be the squat. His reasons were all of those mentioned above. It works not only the quads, the hams, glutes, but also the traps, abs, many stabilizers, and offers a bit of a cardio workout. From then on I considered squats a main staple in training. I don't have the greatest physique, but I do have decent legs and have always squated. Now, my arms a different story :)

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
12cc
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws