YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Therapy (in relation to medicative therapies)

OuchThatHurts

Moderator / Psy, Ret.
Staff member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Verified Customer
How many of you are actively receiving therapy or have a therapist you see on a semi-regular basis?

This is an all opinions thread. Has it benefitted you? Do you think it's a sham? Do you think doctors are crooks? Do you take the meds and run or do you take the meds along with therapy? The therapy doesn't have to be a common disorder such as GAD, PTSD, OCD, ADHD, etc but can be a support group relating to addiction, depression, anxiety, et al. What are your experiences? If you didn't receive what you hoped, what would you have liked to see?

All opinions (positive or negative) welcome here.

I see a lot of threads on meds but very few describing how users felt about therapy + support. If you don't see a therapist, do you read self-help books or articles? Do you speak to a pastor or priest? Attend church services or related charities?

How are you feeling? Empty? Fulfilled? Satisfied? Restless?

Therapists….like any other profession…there is good, bad, great.

Just like plumbers…some are shit, some are great.

It took me a couple tries….but I found a good one and I literally wouldn’t survive without her.

And usually, good ones
Will have a career page on what their specialized in. I wouldn’t go to a counselor who’s career was mostly relationship and family counseling, if i knew that I am self destructive and prone to addiction.

BUT, any therapist can give you tools to look inward and own your shit.

Thsts the secret…knowing yourself, getting down to the root problem, and identifying how the problem manifests into your life that has become a pathological behavior.

Most times, people who don’t like therapy, are not ready to accept their problems are because of themselves. It’s hard to look in the mirror and say…”your the reason why we are here”

But there are exceptions….life can hit us with some terrible circumstances, but even then….we could always do SOMETHING better than we are to make the suffering bearable.

Therapists….like any other profession…there is good, bad, great.

Just like plumbers…some are shit, some are great.

It took me a couple tries….but I found a good one and I literally wouldn’t survive without her.

And usually, good ones
Will have a career page on what their specialized in. I wouldn’t go to a counselor who’s career was mostly relationship and family counseling, if i knew that I am self destructive and prone to addiction.

BUT, any therapist can give you tools to look inward and own your shit.

Thsts the secret…knowing yourself, getting down to the root problem, and identifying how the problem manifests into your life that has become a pathological behavior.

Most times, people who don’t like therapy, are not ready to accept their problems are because of themselves. It’s hard to look in the mirror and say…”your the reason why we are here”

But there are exceptions….life can hit us with some terrible circumstances, but even then….we could always do SOMETHING better than we are to make the suffering bearable.
This is a bit of potpourri of points, "there is good, bad, great [therapists]" combined with some highly subjective points of view. It's apparent that your therapist focuses on self-discovery and therapy based on resolving how those factors manifest in your daily life. A very legitimate approach. Excellent that you and she are on the same page. Good to hear. My mentor and therapist retired. It was a big loss for me.

Other portions, "people who don't like therapy, are not ready to accept...", is a somewhat dubious claim. People dislike therapy for many, many reasons. All of which are perfectly valid. Maybe they've had therapists who were assholes, maybe a personality conflict, maybe lack of trust, maybe the claustrophobia of being in an office rather than a more idyllic setting such as in nature.

As you said, there are exceptions. Undoubtedly, many. And it's not always characteristic of a good or poor therapist or a good or poor patient. Sometimes, as in all life, things just don't fit together.

As I read this, it can't be clearer how perfectly normal and necessary it is to "shop around" for the right person/group for you (e.g. to find the right place/fit for you).

This is a bit of potpourri of points, "there is good, bad, great [therapists]" combined with some highly subjective points of view. It's apparent that your therapist focuses on self-discovery and therapy based on resolving how those factors manifest in your daily life. A very legitimate approach. Excellent that you and she are on the same page. Good to hear. My mentor and therapist retired. It was a big loss for me.

Other portions, "people who don't like therapy, are not ready to accept...", is a somewhat dubious claim. People dislike therapy for many, many reasons. All of which are perfectly valid. Maybe they've had therapists who were assholes, maybe a personality conflict, maybe lack of trust, maybe the claustrophobia of being in an office rather than a more idyllic setting such as in nature.

As you said, there are exceptions. Undoubtedly, many. And it's not always characteristic of a good or poor therapist or a good or poor patient. Sometimes, as in all life, things just don't fit together.

As I read this, it can't be clearer how perfectly normal and necessary it is to "shop around" for the right person/group for you (e.g. to find the right place/fit for you).

Agreed, that was subjective sounding…maybe let me
Rephrase it using a personal example on what I meant when “people who don’t like therapy…..

My ex wife….we went to a Christian counselor, a certified marriage counselor, and my current counselor. After every session of each, she got in the car and literally said “I’m not going back to that, I’m not the problem.

I guess in my mind I was trying to state what you elegantly stated….if you shop around, I think most people would find a therapist that would be a great asset to them and their well-being. And if you can’t find anyone you like….there might be a problem within.

Or hell I don’t know, you might be depressed in Alaska and there might be 2 shitty therapist within 200 miles and your shit outta luck.

Long winded….I think we all could use someone to REALLY dump our shit on at some point in our lives.

Rephrase it using a personal example on what I meant when “people who don’t like therapy…..

My ex wife….we went to a Christian counselor, a certified marriage counselor, and my current counselor. After every session of each, she got in the car and literally said “I’m not going back to that, I’m not the problem.

I guess in my mind I was trying to state what you elegantly stated….if you shop around, I think most people would find a therapist that would be a great asset to them and their well-being. And if you can’t find anyone you like….there might be a problem within.

Or hell I don’t know, you might be depressed in Alaska and there might be 2 shitty therapist within 200 miles and your shit outta luck.

Long winded….I think we all could use someone to REALLY dump our shit on at some point in our lives.
Fully understand 💯. I understand your ex-wife's frustration. My therapist of 25 years got me through that divorce/custody hell and knew me like a book. Now he retired, what do I do? Go find another therapist? 15 years younger than me? Aw, hell no! The good thing is I'm pretty open now so it's likely if I have any remaining issues, people around me are going to hear about them. Which was my problem - keeping things bottled up. But to start fresh with some kid now? No way. I'm in the desert regarding professional help. Like you said, in Alaska or the Arctic Circle.

I feel you, bro.

Fully understand 💯. I understand your ex-wife's frustration. My therapist of 25 years got me through that divorce/custody hell and knew me like a book. Now he retired, what do I do? Go find another therapist? 15 years younger than me? Aw, hell no! The good thing is I'm pretty open now so it's likely if I have any remaining issues, people around me are going to hear about them. Which was my problem - keeping things bottled up. But to start fresh with some kid now? No way. I'm in the desert regarding professional help. Like you said, in Alaska or the Arctic Circle.

I feel you, bro.

Agreed. I work in mental health, so I carry a heavy burden of broken people, and I got my own shit.

And I get it, my therapist knows my deepest darkest hours, and my best times….it’s like the one person you can take off your armor and just be the raw self.

I couldn’t imagine starting over with a new therapist.

Hey, google better help . Com. My lady friend joined, and a few of my veteran patients do it and tjey are blown away on how active the therapist works. Like sends texts if you don’t check in once a week, sends homework, face times often.

I was actually really really impressed with it.

If your looking….or if anyone reading this is struggling.

mine is via phone as it began before covid then continued after now its still same via phone - hes 75 extremely sage, speaks in proverbs and adages and maxims. very clever and experienced, wide spectrum of wisdom, but he's biased towards me which i think can sometimes effect his counsel?

one time I walked into therapy with one gf who was NPD , diagnosed on the spot walked out inside immediately after and said the same thing.

@OuchThatHurts knows my current situation better than anyone perhaps. I keep attracting this type this time its BPD ...a step up

a therapist in the past once told me "empty seeks full" that's why I am attracting them (I am the full radiating one supposedly energy level wise) Sagittarius , whatever it is its a weakness. i am a fixer and a healer i suppose, well you cant fix everything! and its not our job I've learned. not our job to chariot people and catapult them toward their personal evolution when they're lacking

jordan peterson said we should not have to work at cross purposes to acquiesce to somebody else's temperament.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws