over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Thick back

A lot of people can train back for years doing all sorts of movements; and yet they still can't "feel" the muscle when they train.

Most guys need to establish a mind to muscle connection their lats first and foremost. Then they can experiment with exercises to see what kind of growth response they get, and they can add and toss exercises from there on out.

here's my back lol

lots of deadlifts, rows, and pulldowns

and dnp :star-:ars

have been focusing more on rows and less on deadlifts since my umbilical hernia repair... interested to see how it looks after im done dieting

Attachments

• back lol.jpg
    back lol.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 354
"feel' dosnt mean a lot as far as results go. Its nice if you feel an exercise. But does it signify superior growth? No. I ask my clients (I'm a PT) which do you feel more in your quads...squats or leg extentions? They respond with leg extention. Now....which do you think grows bigger quads? Squats of course.

Anyway...deads, especially rack deads, are great for mid/lower back (mostly lower), traps too. Not so great for lats. Your elbows are neither drawn downward or backward which is what contracts the lats.
Rows both work lats and low/mid back. Better for overall physique IMO. I don't incorporate deads when training clients because Id rather use pulldowns/rows for superior back development.

i don't see every video obviously, but follow a lot of the top guys... now i know their genetics have a lot to do with things, but i have never seen Heath DL...never seen Ramy.... roelly....bonac....etc and never questioned their thickness... altho they all do basically all the same other exercise

i don't see every video obviously, but follow a lot of the top guys... now i know their genetics have a lot to do with things, but i have never seen Heath DL...never seen Ramy.... roelly....bonac....etc and never questioned their thickness... altho they all do basically all the same other exercise

ive seen heath and ramy deadlift.... but your point definitely stands

Wish there were more of these discussions on here....but I could do without the bb.com callouts. lol

I never meant to imply one can't build thickness in other ways, but I still do racks today even though I follow mainly Meadows routines now, which incorporate many of the movements some of you are arguing are better. I love bent over rows (not that heavy so I lose contraction in my lats and back) and DB rows with good form. Since I have used multiple movements over the years I surely can't say "one thing" did or didn't do it. But to say rack deads/deads are worthless that's a stretch.

Here's my back with no DNP clearly.:D

Attachments

• IMG_0698.JPG
    IMG_0698.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 331
everyone in this thread should post a pic of their back

so we can get a better idea of who we should be listening to :eek:

Ok.jpg

BB rows, deads / rack pulls (mostly RPs for a few years now), pullup/chin variations, and rack chins are my bread and butter movements.

Edit: I have been doing rack pulls / deads at the END of my workout for probably 4-5 years now, and feel this helped get my lat thickness up as well as kept me from needing to take time off or deload as frequently as I used to.

I also have not done shrugs in the offseason for the same 4-5 year period.

gEgXWyV.jpg

Last edited:
For me, I felt like heavy barbell bentover rows built most of mine. I also did cable rows as a finisher. For width I had good luck with pullups with assorted grip widths. Change that up.

here's my back lol

lots of deadlifts, rows, and pulldowns

and dnp :star-:ars

have been focusing more on rows and less on deadlifts since my umbilical hernia repair... interested to see how it looks after im done dieting

Jeez!!! Little Slice, your lower back looks like a string ray is sitting on it!

Attachments

• E56C5A71-12CD-4D36-A4A3-3842ABB32945.jpeg
    E56C5A71-12CD-4D36-A4A3-3842ABB32945.jpeg
    25.4 KB · Views: 305
Here's my 2 cents.

Dead-lift is a staple movement.

Here's why:

The dead lift allows you to use more weight than any other back exercise. You might be able to handle, let's say, 500lbs on deadlifts, but you likely will not be able to row or do pull-downs with that much weight. The simple act of lifting great amounts of weight with your back has a carry over effect to all other aspects of back training, IMO. The act of dead-lifting 500lbs allows your row movements to have greater stability, and focus more on your lats, rather than straining all your attention to keep the weight up and balanced.

Does it work the lats as directly as a barbell row? No.

However, when I have gone periods where I do not dead-lift, my back gets substantially weaker, and I find myself struggling to do heavy rows. I inevitably get smaller, and start improving on rows again once I add dead-lifts.

All the men in history with the biggest backs have had very strong row movements. And I believe, that you need to have a very strong dead-lift, aod strong back overall to handle very heavy weight on rows.

Jay Cutler, Dorian Yates, Ronnie Coleman, etc were able row 400lbs with a barbell on a regular basis at their peak. In order to do this, you need to be able to comfortably deadlift ALOT MORE THAN 400lbs to row it with decent form.

This is kind of my same idea about bench press. It's a foundational strength movement for your chest, which allows you to press more on incline benches, dumbbells, machines, etc for hypertrophy work.

Edit: This is only true if you use your deadlift strength to actually improve your performance on heavy rows. If you do nothing but deadlift heavy weights, I think this is why some powerlifters have mediocre development of their lats, because they are not also putting equal effort into rows and pullups.

Last edited:
Nice looking backs, fellas. LittleSlice - looking lean! Got that Christmas tree going on a bit early this year ;).

Bieberhole - Now that's thickness. I bet judges didn't put "Back needs to be thicker" on any of your score cards ;).

3 yrs No deads or bent over rows..
I do miss them. A torn Hammy has its drawbacks,,lol
My deads never got over 500 but rows were 275 x 10.

Attachments

• greg back.JPG
    greg back.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 287
Last edited:
Nothing gets my entire back sore like some good deadlifts and bar rows.

Finish every back workout with 1 set 25-30 reps of 355 on deadlifts, love the lactic acid burn and dizzy feeling at the end of that set

Nothing gets my entire back sore like some good deadlifts and bar rows.

Finish every back workout with 1 set 25-30 reps of 355 on deadlifts, love the lactic acid burn and dizzy feeling at the end of that set
You're a sick, sick man :).

ive seen heath and ramy deadlift.... but your point definitely stands

From phil: I'll do deads for video stuff etc, and we did them during sports training.
But they don't do much for back development.
I see him at least 4x a week.

Here's my 2 cents.

Dead-lift is a staple movement.

Here's why:

The dead lift allows you to use more weight than any other back exercise. You might be able to handle, let's say, 500lbs on deadlifts, but you likely will not be able to row or do pull-downs with that much weight. The simple act of lifting great amounts of weight with your back has a carry over effect to all other aspects of back training, IMO. The act of dead-lifting 500lbs allows your row movements to have greater stability, and focus more on your lats, rather than straining all your attention to keep the weight up and balanced.

Does it work the lats as directly as a barbell row? No.

However, when I have gone periods where I do not dead-lift, my back gets substantially weaker, and I find myself struggling to do heavy rows. I inevitably get smaller, and start improving on rows again once I add dead-lifts.

All the men in history with the biggest backs have had very strong row movements. And I believe, that you need to have a very strong dead-lift, aod strong back overall to handle very heavy weight on rows.

Jay Cutler, Dorian Yates, Ronnie Coleman, etc were able row 400lbs with a barbell on a regular basis at their peak. In order to do this, you need to be able to comfortably deadlift ALOT MORE THAN 400lbs to row it with decent form.

This is kind of my same idea about bench press. It's a foundational strength movement for your chest, which allows you to press more on incline benches, dumbbells, machines, etc for hypertrophy work.

Edit: This is only true if you use your deadlift strength to actually improve your performance on heavy rows. If you do nothing but deadlift heavy weights, I think this is why some powerlifters have mediocre development of their lats, because they are not also putting equal effort into rows and pullups.

That's funny u say that.
many of the biggest guys I know say they only do bb bench once a week as a strength builder rather that a direct muscle builder.
Also, phil heath talks about keeping db/bb movements for biceps just to have stronger arms for other movements.

My lats are terrible right now from my three year battle with cancer.
but I'm back and getting big...
I'd rather not show my lats right now due too such, but I will show this. My shoulders are ridiculous. When they come back I'll post them lol IMG_20171017_152811.jpg

IMG_20171017_152730.jpg

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
GFly
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity