over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Thick back

what's your recommendation for a thick back breh :headbang:

Deadlifts and carry heavy things. I’m a strength guy, so I have a different focus than most of the posters here. I will say that training for strongman has put on thickness that no other training has done.

Heavy deadlifts followed by lighter back accessory lifts seem to work the best for me. Farmers carries and yoke walks will also make you thick, but I wouldn’t do them the same day as deadlifts.

Never did deadlifts until much later in my lifting life and looking back I wishould to GOD I would have never done them. Rack pulls are the stupidest excersisee ever IMHO.

what did young Brad do to build not only his back but all his workout partners backs?
Pull ups
Bent barbell rows
Seated cable rows.

Not going to put a back pic up as there are plenty on this site, plus I could give two shit less if you listen to me or not, do your own thing and be happy!

Never did deadlifts until much later in my lifting life and looking back I wishould to GOD I would have never done them. Rack pulls are the stupidest excersisee ever IMHO.

what did young Brad do to build not only his back but all his workout partners backs?
Pull ups
Bent barbell rows
Seated cable rows.

Not going to put a back pic up as there are plenty on this site, plus I could give two shit less if you listen to me or not, do your own thing and be happy!

care to explain why not?
my scenario:
back is one of my strongest body parts. I love doing deadlifts, i usually do deadlifts from the ground once in 10 days and also rack pulls once in 10 days (trying to get my DL higher and for rack pulls, i have a rack with many holes close together, so last time i did 450x8 from hole nr. 4, now i will "try" to move down 1 hole every time while using the same weight until i reach the ground)
Deadlifts never hurt me. Benchpress (partial pec tear) and squats did..

Did nothing for me but increase my waist size.
This was me at 23yrs old and didn't even know what a deadlift was, notic the lower back muscles this was from bent rows and cable rows only, show me a 23yrs deadlifter with a better back :)

Attachments

• 2017-10-21 03.12.44.jpg
    2017-10-21 03.12.44.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 285
nice back for sure :>
i find it hard to judge if an exercise does something or not.
there are phases were you just grow less, growing is not linear but in phases. (well, you already know i believe^^).
For me, deadlifts feel good and im sore as hell the days after a hard session.
(soreness says nothing, i know)
the issue with the waist might be true i guess..

Heavy Deads and Squats Both build thicker waists and hips..
Wish I never did them but going heavy is a stupid addiction...
Ruined my 32" waist...

Would you say you can't build a good chest without doing flat bench press, or shoulders without bb overhead press? No. You can build muscle with any exercise. Just because you can go heavy on a DL doesn't mean it's the most optimal or necessary movement to get good results. When I first started lifting I focused on the "big 3" and then did my secondary exercises. Maybe that's ok but now I train differently and I've still gained over 50 lbs. My coach looks great and has a shelf full of trophies and he doesn't put deadlifts on my program.

b-boy would you mind telling us how exactly you perform cable rows?

I don't move my upper body at all with chest out and it's perfect for upper back, lats, thickness whatever but maybe you suggest to actually move the upper body back and forth so that the lower back has to do more work?

I agree with the posts about never or not doing dead lifts again. Tore my external oblique doing rack deads 2 weeks ago. Been a bitch not going to the gym.

I think Deads or rack deads, esp rack deads are very useful for back thickness

Im a tall guy and I used to think t bar rows worked better than barbell rows for me. Then I started doing barbell rows on a tricep bar and not so sure

71vDig4Yy3L._SL1500_.jpg

First picture my back back in 2012 Bodybuilding open heavies when I did more T bar rows

Second Picture is my back this past year , 2017, Classic Physique, with doing the tricep bar rows

Attachments

• back lat 2012.jpg
    back lat 2012.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 89
  • jr nats back lat.jpg
    jr nats back lat.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 90
b-boy would you mind telling us how exactly you perform cable rows?

I don't move my upper body at all with chest out and it's perfect for upper back, lats, thickness whatever but maybe you suggest to actually move the upper body back and forth so that the lower back has to do more work?
when I was younger yes I would extend further and slightly pull with my lower back, stop then pull the attachment into my sternum. Now I rarely extend but pull my elbows back like doing a lat spread on stage and showing and flexing the Christmas tree (lower back)

This was me at 23yrs old and didn't even know what a deadlift was, notic the lower back muscles this was from bent rows and cable rows only, show me a 23yrs deadlifter with a better back :)

Amazing back bro. I feel like my back lacks the most. Im always trying different exercises but i never really feel my back doing the wor. And yes i know pull with your elbows. I think i just have bad back genetics. I feel most of the pulling movements in my forearm.

Last edited:
Amazing back bro. I feel like my back lacks the most. Im always trying different exercises but i never really feel my back doing the wor. And yes i know pull with your elbows. I think i just have bad back genetics. I feel most of the pulling movements in my forearm.
Use straps. Keep wrists locked. Pull with the elbows :)

Use straps. Keep wrists locked. Pull with the elbows :)
This...plus lower your weights as you may be trying to go too heavy. Once you get the mind muscle connection down, then slowly start increasing your weight again.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

AMAZING back photo! Nice separation and detail.

I cycle deads in and out of workout. Maybe its technique, or receptors, or mechanical effect of build, but I notice a huge difference in my traps when incorporating deads.

A couple of years ago Skip, if any of you know him, trains at Armbrust and said in a video or podcast that he has never seen Phil Heath do a deadlift. Actually he said "I've never seen him pick anything up from the floor." Meaning a deadlift.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Pdx236
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws