over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Things I learned from my first show

VTliftVT

Banned
Here are a few things I learned from my first show that I wish I would have either known in advance or would have had the common sense/not been too lazy to do before hand:

1) Start shaving your entire body WEEKS in advance unless you want some unsightly razor burn. Thank God it's not as noticeable with the tan and under the lights.

2) I wish I could have practiced with my color before getting on stage, similar to like carb loading or whatever to see how you respond. I found out for myself that using multiple coats of pro-tan followed by jan tana doesn't work for me to get me dark enough as it does most. I talked to a couple others and they mix Jan-Tana and Protan together and that worked like a charm. I looked much darker for the night show than for pre-judging.

3) Make sure you know EXACTLY how the event is ran. We had a competitors meeting in the early am 2 hours before the show so I thought I would have time to go back and put another coat of tan on and hang out etc. Well no...they got started late and then it went straight to pre-judging and I had no idea what was going on and didn't have half my shit with me.

4) Bring the following: Dark towel to pat yourself down with after getting on stage or applying oils etc. Bring a small duffel to carry this towel plus an extra T-shirt....but make sure the T-shirt is not white bc your tan will get all over it haha (yes...dumbass rookie mistake on my part). Bring something to pump up with so you don't have to ask everyone else to borrow their shit.

5) Bring a big towel to lay on back stage as there is a lot of time spent dicking around and resting and you will enjoy it much more if you have something to lay on.

Anyway, that was my experience for pre-judging. I was MUCH more prepared for the night show.

Also, one of the biggest things I learned was that I am no where NEAR the caliber of bodybuilder I would like to be. There are some great physiques out there and there were many at this show. I listened and learned a lot. I realized that I have a LONG way to go before I would ever be competitive at any level. I realized that being tall really really sucks. I realized that even if I can never be a truly competitive bodybuilder that it is a lot of fun and I will continue to bust my ass and work towards my goals. I realized that not having a trophy is okay and that for me the experience, the dedication, the hardwork, the time, etc...all that I put in was worth it just to be back there and be a part of the sport. I realized that I can't wait to get back on stage even after suffering to come home empty handed. DAMN I HAD A GOOD TIME!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
You came home with a lot of knowledge that will serve you well down the road at your next show.

You did great job first time out and had a great physique worthy of competing and one that will only improve. Be proud of that.

Good luck in the future and get back in the gym.

Vito

Every show is a learning experience, regardless of how many you've done before.

And if you're a true competitor you'll never be "there"... you'll always seek improvement in yourself. There is always a higher level to achieve.

Welcome to bodybuilding, you can now call yourself a competitor :)

solid advice right there!

as for your last comment... you will always say this after every show. I know people who won the overall in a very tough contest and then said the same exact thing... you know why? cuz you are competing with yourself! if you get better next year... mission accomplished! :)

thanks bro...good advice

You deserve to be to be complimented for getting it done! No matter how much reading, talking, and training you do it eventually comes down to getting it done. No matter the place you took in the show I can tell that for you it was a success. Congrats!

You did great. I thought you looked very comfortable on stage. Just glad you made it back in there on time ;).

Fill out that frame of yours with that conditioning and polish your posing and you will do some damage. Really nice meeting you and your girl. Both seem like good people! Hope she handles your next prep as hood as this one!

You did great. I thought you looked very comfortable on stage. Just glad you made it back in there on time ;).

Fill out that frame of yours with that conditioning and polish your posing and you will do some damage. Really nice meeting you and your girl. Both seem like good people! Hope she handles your next prep as hood as this one!

Thanks so much for the compliments and encouragement! I really really wish I would have spent some more time practicing my posing as I know how important it is to show off what you have properly haha. I did feel comfortable on stage for the most part but I quickly found out that you go blank on stage and can't remember to do all the things you practiced and told yourslef NOT to do or to do a certain way haha. For example, I had my posing routine down for the song and knew EXACTLY what I wanted to do. Well they started the music too early which freaked me out then I hit the stage and was like OH SHIT...haha. I didn't hit all the poses I wanted and the timing was off but I was like oh screw it....I'll hit this pose and that pose and thank you ladies and gents I am going back stage now haha.

It was great meeting you and your wife as well! You guys were more than supportive and it made me feel great to hear my name called a few times from the audience! I hope we can all meet up again and maybe next time have a little more time to chat! Thanks again for all your help and support!

You deserve to be to be complimented for getting it done! No matter how much reading, talking, and training you do it eventually comes down to getting it done. No matter the place you took in the show I can tell that for you it was a success. Congrats!

I really appreciate the compliments! It was tough at times to push through the cardio and diet but I just kept remembering the promise I made to myself and Shelby that I would get this done. I stepped into the situation wanting to be the best I could on stage and Shelby was there to help me get there. There was no way I was going to make him look bad as a trainer by stepping on stage a sloppy mess haha. Between that and the fact that I wanted nothing more than to finally have the confidence in my physique to step on stage. You are right tho, it all comes down to getting it done and putting in the work and effort. Thanks for noticing as that means everything to me!

VTliftVT, the write up was great as it will certainly help those who are going into their first show. The golden rule expect the unexpected.

I must say that for what you have accomplished, that even without a trophy that you are a WINNER. Congratulations.

Again thank you for sharing your experience and keep up the good work in accomplishing your goals.

VTliftVT, the write up was great as it will certainly help those who are going into their first show. The golden rule expect the unexpected.

I must say that for what you have accomplished, that even without a trophy that you are a WINNER. Congratulations.

Again thank you for sharing your experience and keep up the good work in accomplishing your goals.

Thick, I appreciate your words of encouragement!

great words VT :)

well done for getting up there and best of luck with your offseason.

You know watch my favorite trophies are??

The pictures of how I transformed my body.

I learn so much each time I compete. But each time I compete, I'm happy just seeing the improvemants from the last show. I know, just like any true competitior knows, that it never ends. All you guys that share the same attitude, make my proud to be a bodybuilder. :)

Congradulations, on taking it to the next level!!!

haha oh man.. I can so relate to the oloring issues. It never occured to me to try that crap out :eek:. But like you said, regardless of if you win a trophy the experience is the true reward. Youve done what so many people wouldnt have the discipline or will to do. congratulations and onto the next :D

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Itisisaysme510
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws