YMSGIF210x65-Banner
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

This really sucks! Update on Back Surgery!

2elbows

Registered
So I had back surgery on Oct 12th look at my other thread a very common surgery. I went back to the surgeon Oct 24th for followup.

She was surprised to see me limping so much and my pain level still at a 7. So much so I am taking 4 oxycodone a day and 4 muscle relaxers with it.

I still can't sit for more than say 30 mins and standing my right leg goes completely numb. My right quad feels like someone gave me a charlie horse almost all day.

My right quad and calf are always numb and my right foot is especially weak.

My surgeon has great accolades and this was at Barrow spine institute supposedly the gold standard for these kind of operations.

She wants to do another MRI Thursday to see what the problem is. She put me on a 7 day cycle of prednisone to see if this would relieve the inflammation.

She is confident she did a good repair.
She stated it's a 2-6 week process to be completely pain free but to still be at a 7 and the muscle weakness concerned her.

This sucks.

wishing you the best

I really hope things improve for you. The pain and numbness especially is concerning though. Try to get that MRI sooner rather than later.

Maybe its swelling from the surgery? I hope you get relief soon. My father is go9ng through similar pain now but his is caused by arthritis.

Sorry to hear about all that man,I feel your pain.
After my L2-S1 revision,the nerve pain in my left leg/foot was gone after a day or so,although the pain from the surgery itself lasted much longer. Besides the Perc's and muscle relaxer(valium?) did they prescribe anything for the nerve pain?
Lyrica helped tremendously to help calm the nerves down the first couple of weeks after the procedure,but I got off that as soon as I could as it's nasty stuff.

Everyone is different as far as healing and pain are concerned,but from what I recall you posting earlier,you only had one or two lumber levels fused,correct? Seems a bit odd you'd still be in such significant pain. Keep us posted on what the doc says. Feel better man.

So I had back surgery on Oct 12th look at my other thread a very common surgery. I went back to the surgeon Oct 24th for followup.

She was surprised to see me limping so much and my pain level still at a 7. So much so I am taking 4 oxycodone a day and 4 muscle relaxers with it.

I still can't sit for more than say 30 mins and standing my right leg goes completely numb. My right quad feels like someone gave me a charlie horse almost all day.

My right quad and calf are always numb and my right foot is especially weak.

My surgeon has great accolades and this was at Barrow spine institute supposedly the gold standard for these kind of operations.

She wants to do another MRI Thursday to see what the problem is. She put me on a 7 day cycle of prednisone to see if this would relieve the inflammation.

She is confident she did a good repair.
She stated it's a 2-6 week process to be completely pain free but to still be at a 7 and the muscle weakness concerned her.

This sucks.

Sometimes they nick a nerve, i had a patient who lost her ability to walk after spine surgery. She regained some function after vigorous PT, months of it.

Thanks All

Sorry if it sounds like I am whining. I am just a old dude 51 who worked really hard to be in better shape than my 30's. And I had higher expectations.

I hope it is just inflammation and this prednisone works. She did do some work on some nerves she said was in the wrong spot. said 1 or 2 were stuck to the spine and she had to unstick them , suture them.

I have been doing reading on this and apparently as Bio can probably tell me these surgeries don't always work the 1st time. I hope to God she does not have to go back in.

Thanks for listening.

Best wishes and a speedy recovery Elbows! what kind of surgery did you have? Fusion or discectomy? I was just told two weeks ago that at some point, depending, on how bad my pain got i was a candidate for an ALIF fusion at l5-s1. good luck! i do feel for anyone, especially lifters and athletes, who suffer the misfortune of spine injuries. it really does change your life.

The best of luck. It hasn't been a long time since the surgery. Sadly high expectations are tough to achieve. I try to keep mine lower so that I can end up with better results then I had hoped. Hopefully the MRI will show something positive.

discectomy

Best wishes and a speedy recovery Elbows! what kind of surgery did you have? Fusion or discectomy? I was just told two weeks ago that at some point, depending, on how bad my pain got i was a candidate for an ALIF fusion at l5-s1. good luck! i do feel for anyone, especially lifters and athletes, who suffer the misfortune of spine injuries. it really does change your life.

I had a discectomy L4\L5 , repaired some nerves , bone spurs.
She did say my next surgery if I need one would be a fusion. I hope this is not the case this soon.

discectomy

I had a discectomy L4\L5 , repaired some nerves , bone spurs.
She did say my next surgery if I need one would be a fusion. I hope this is not the case this soon.
I've had 3 surgeries on my L5/S1 over the last 2 1/2 years with the 3rd being a fusion. If she had to make contact with your nerves it's quite possibly inflammation and they are a little beat up. It's not too uncommon for the nerves to be a little pissed off after all of that but should calm down over the coming months. You could consider asking for a steroid injection in the affected area that may wash away a bit of the inflammation and calm those pissed off nerves down.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity