over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Thoughts on shakes replacing food

swim15

Registered
I've always been a believer in whole food from the get go with my training. However, I'm back to broke college kid status working on pharmacy for grad school.

Looking to make things more cost/time effective and wanted to see what people, coaches or competitors preferably, think of replacing whole food with shakes.

I figured that everyone would say it doesn't matter but wanted to see if anyone who had done something similar noticed a difference or if anyone had a reason not to. Still eating some whole food protein sources obviously but 3-4/5 meals a day would be whey concentrate shakes

I do it daily. It's a matter of time and convenience. Protein powder is simply dried food.

Idk, it's just not the same. It'll get you by and fulfill your caloric needs of course but downing 2 scoops of whey just isn't the same as a portion of ground turkey or steak. It just isn't.

Idk, it's just not the same. It'll get you by and fulfill your caloric needs of course but downing 2 scoops of whey just isn't the same as a portion of ground turkey or steak. It just isn't.

Agreed 100%.... I feel people get enamored with the numbers..... "Wow, this shake has 50g of protein"!!!. GTFO.... CANNOT compare 50g shit whey to 50g of lets say fish or chicken..... I know... I DID IT... spent THOUSANDS on shakes, bars blah blah and went nowhere... Once I actually started eating FOOD I haven't looked back.....

Just my .02..

The only real difference is feeling full. A 50 gram protein shake will never satisfy hunger and keep you full like 50 grams of protein from meat or similar items.

Whey/casein blend +almond butter+1/4 cup oats when I’m too busy at work to eat.

It keeps me full for a while.

But just two scoops whey in water...naa I’d be starving later

Make the shake like an actual whole food meal then their wouldn't be a difference.
Example would be
1.whey
2.avacado oil
3. Oat flour
4. Tsp of psyllium

This is what I do when the calories get high.

Still eating some whole food protein sources obviously but 3-4/5 meals a day would be whey concentrate shakes

would be fine, but whey concentrate it shit... at least it is for me

I seriously cannot digest it. get whey isolate if you want whey

shakes in lieu of whole food is fine.

No matter what type of shake I have or what I put in it I never feel full or satisfied afterwards. I always feel like I get low blood sugar and I’m hungry. I also have a weird equilibrium imbalance but the second I eat Whole Foods no matter what it is I feel much better. And all my insulin and glucose levels are normal. I think it has to do with the digestion process of real food satisfying appetite, etc.

5 Shakes and 1 solid meal with desert keeps me at A Ripped to Shreds 250 lbs!
Seems to Work Just Fine!
And my Jaw doesn't get tired!

Shakes can be great. Although just like you eat certain wholefoods you need to have certain shakes. You wouldn't live on crap quality beef so why get the cheapest whey. Everyone is different but you want a good whey isolate. Some can't use whey so you may want to try beef or a plant (blend) based product. As mentioned above you can also have whole food based shakes. The extreme are blended meats but you could do whey isolate with oats, fruits, nuts, greens, veg etc.

The guys who say they don't feel full after shakes are obviously not adding the right things to them either. For carbs you could do gluten free oats, sweet potatoe powder or activated barley. I have all 3 of those in my cupboard and next time I plan to add size I will rotate between them. Then comes possible fibre powders especially if the carb powder lacks in fibre (activated barley being low in fibre). For fibre I like a simple psyllium husk powder. You could add a fat source in the form of oils or nut butters. The possibilities are endless especially when you have a blender. You can't beat a good whey/beef isolate, oats, pineapple and dessicated coconut shake.

When bulking I usually do a 50/50 split and rotate from whole food to shake but as long as you get quality macros in consistently it doesn't really matter what order you do things in.

Well it's been 10yrs since I went from not lifting at 202 pds to 250lbs.
I was 235 lbs @ 5% just before quiting at 30 yrs old.
Winters I have time to eat more solid food and time to relax and digest.
I peak at 265 doin nothing but lifting.
Summers working like a Madman shakes are huge. I use mainly Iso and never feel full which for me is Great especially when trying to consume 5 of them by 2 o'clock!
Normally adds up to 300 gms of protein and 300 carbs...

Shakes work but they lack nutrition. I lived on shakes. I was a very lean 250Lbs on shakes every 2 hours around the clock with only one good meal. I was also malnourished which shows in that i had thrush/candida, a sign of malnutrition. I now eat 3 good food meals with fruit and nuts in between meals, plus 3 shakes. My tongue is healthy now, not white.

Animal Packs help...lol

I started with a new coach a month out from nationals that I just competed in. Hes very highly qualified and educated in nutrition, switched me out immediately to all food, no shakes. Each meal also had a different protein source. The difference wad noticed even after just a few day. Flatter stomach, fuller muscles. Looked better overall. Body temp went way up too, as real food has a greater thermic effect.
Off season Ill put some shakes back in for convenience, but when it comes to really dialing things in, real food, hands down. Also eliminated all powders, including supplements. Artificial colors and sweeteners, they were nixed too.

Last edited:
don’t replace food with shakes completely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I started with a new coach a month out from nationals that I just competed in. Hes very highly qualified and educated in nutrition, switched me out immediately to all food, no shakes. Each meal also had a different protein source. The difference wad noticed even after just a few day. Flatter stomach, fuller muscles. Looked better overall. Body temp went way up too, as real food has a greater thermic effect.
Off season Ill put some shakes back in for convenience, but when it comes to really dialing things in, real food, hands down. Also eliminated all powders, including supplements. Artificial colors and sweeteners, they were nixed too.

What sorts of protein sources did he have u rotate?

I always found it funny how many people dismiss actual science when they try to say there is a difference in what you will look like whether you eat grilled chicken or have a protein shake given equal macros. Science doesn't care about your subjective personal experience whether you like it or not. Most people just WANT to think chewing will make them look better because it requires more effort.

Is that what got you to 250 lbs?

Not concreter but I have built new size from incorporating a lot of shakes.

Shakes work but they lack nutrition. I lived on shakes. I was a very lean 250Lbs on shakes every 2 hours around the clock with only one good meal. I was also malnourished which shows in that i had thrush/candida, a sign of malnutrition. I now eat 3 good food meals with fruit and nuts in between meals, plus 3 shakes. My tongue is healthy now, not white.

Whilst what you state is true it doesn't have to be the same for everyone so I disagree all shakes lack nutrition. Although most shakes do lack nutrition especially if it's plain whey and nothing else. Matey didn't you basically not consume dietary fat for years. Guys could still take in lot's of good fats and other nutrients whilst consuming a few shakes per day and would never be malnourished.

don’t replace food with shakes completely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. Balance is key. The base of any good nutrition plan are some solid wholefood meals.

I agree. Everyone is different but generally I would never diet (if I competed) on a shake diet. My ideal cutting diet would be all whole food meals for some of the reasons you highlighted. But there is still a place for shakes but that can be different for everyone. I mainly use them when gaining size and to easily fit in all the macros I need. I also use them when cutting but it's more relaxed and I am just living a healthy lifestyle. So I am lean compared to gym people but not competitors. When I do that my shakes are all done in a blender using greens, berries and various other healthy ingredients. I actually miss those shakes so will have to start having them again.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131