over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

thoughts on simple sugary cereal post workout

Yikes! Bad thread to click on when I'm in the middle of a diet :eek:

I haven't used cereal in a long time post-WO...but if I did, my choices would be Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Reese's Puffs, Chocolate Chex (these are so freaking delicious, gotta try them if you haven't), and Honey Nut Cheerios.

Yes, I agree! I'm in keto right now and the thought of all these cereals is killing me haha. Cinnamon Toast Crunch is one of my go to's as well as Honey Nut Cheerios.

sorry guys I honestly thought I'd get laughed at for posting this lol

I have a bowl of cereal everyday but with milk. I couldn't be doing egg whites in cereal. I want to look good but not that much :D Most of teh cereals I have are really good ones usually very high fibre. If I am having one post workout ever it would be something like rice krispies.

I bet your mouth was F'd up after that. Capn Crunch literally tears my mouth up. Havent had it in proabably 15 + years, but it used to make my mouth feel like I had been eating a holly bush

dude that is why you let it SOAK in the milk for a couple minutes...you have to time it right or it gets too soggy. :D

I have a bowl of cereal everyday but with milk. I couldn't be doing egg whites in cereal. I want to look good but not that much :D Most of teh cereals I have are really good ones usually very high fibre. If I am having one post workout ever it would be something like rice krispies.

LMFAO!! I'm with you there brother!!

Exactly what I do for my typical post workout shake.

500g egg whites, 100g chocolate rice chex

Maybe I missed something but aren't uncooked egg whites lacking protein bioavailability? I remember reading that somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Cookie Crisp, lucky charms, and honeycomb is where it's at. Not in that order though

dude that is why you let it SOAK in the milk for a couple minutes...you have to time it right or it gets too soggy. :D
Speaking of the Cap'n, snagged a box of PB Cap'n Crunch on "clearance" for 49 cents due to the box being slightly torn. I'm going to tear that up tomorrow :D

Makes sense, fructose + glucose replenishes glycogen faster than glucose alone in a glycogen deplete state. This is presuming A your muscle is insulin sensitive so the sugar doesn't metabolize into liver fat and B your body is actually glycogen deplete.

1. Gonzalez J, Fuchs C, Betts J, van Loon L. Glucose Plus Fructose Ingestion for Post-Exercise Recovery—Greater than the Sum of Its Parts? Nutrients. 2017;9(4):344.

"Abstract: Carbohydrate availability in the form of muscle and liver glycogen is an important
determinant of performance during prolonged bouts of moderate- to high-intensity exercise.
Therefore, when effective endurance performance is an objective on multiple occasions within
a 24-h period, the restoration of endogenous glycogen stores is the principal factor determining
recovery. This review considers the role of glucose–fructose co-ingestion on liver and muscle
glycogen repletion following prolonged exercise. Glucose and fructose are primarily absorbed
by different intestinal transport proteins; by combining the ingestion of glucose with fructose, both
transport pathways are utilised, which increases the total capacity for carbohydrate absorption.
Moreover, the addition of glucose to fructose ingestion facilitates intestinal fructose absorption via
a currently unidentified mechanism. The co-ingestion of glucose and fructose therefore provides
faster rates of carbohydrate absorption than the sum of glucose and fructose absorption rates
alone. Similar metabolic effects can be achieved via the ingestion of sucrose (a disaccharide of
glucose and fructose) because intestinal absorption is unlikely to be limited by sucrose hydrolysis.
Carbohydrate ingestion at a rate of 1.2 g carbohydrate per kg body mass per hour appears to
maximise post-exercise muscle glycogen repletion rates. Providing these carbohydrates in the form
of glucose–fructose (sucrose) mixtures does not further enhance muscle glycogen repletion rates
over glucose (polymer) ingestion alone.
In contrast, liver glycogen repletion rates are approximately
doubled with ingestion of glucose–fructose (sucrose) mixtures over isocaloric ingestion of glucose
(polymers) alone. Furthermore, glucose plus fructose (sucrose) ingestion alleviates gastrointestinal
distress when the ingestion rate approaches or exceeds the capacity for intestinal glucose absorption
(~1.2 g/min). Accordingly, when rapid recovery of endogenous glycogen stores is a priority, ingesting
glucose–fructose mixtures (or sucrose) at a rate of 1.2 gkg body mass􀀀1h􀀀1 can enhance glycogen
repletion rates whilst also minimising gastrointestinal distress."

-S

I'm fairly disciplined with the foods that I eat. I enjoy and eat predominately proteins like chicken, 90/10 hamburgers, turkey lunchmeat, and salmon, and carbs like peas, green beans, corn, salads, apples, bananas, and oatmeal, but I really, Really, REALLY like some of the sugary cereals like Cinnamon Toast Crunch & Lucky Charms and they can sometimes be a trigger for me :banghead: (where my normal foods aren't).

I haven't tried cereal, but have always used white bread and whey protein powder in water as my go to post workout with good results.

Maybe I missed something but aren't uncooked egg whites lacking protein bioavailability? I remember reading that somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah I think it's like 45% less then cooked but, I'm lazy on that meal lol.

As a few others also mentioned, use egg whites instead of milk. Tastes great. Fruit loops + eggs whites = so good

I love Frosted Flakes and on occasion will have a bowl or two after training. I know the different carb sources can effect you differently, not sure though if a corn carb source is ideal or not?

Lucky Charms has 10,000 boxes of "marshmellows only" they are giving out....have to check the code and see if you win one, I bought one today but i''l let my daughter open to see if we won a box

I love Frosted Flakes and on occasion will have a bowl or two after training. I know the different carb sources can effect you differently, not sure though if a corn carb source is ideal or not?
Most would argue it's not ideal, but I always advise people to find carb sources that agree with them. i.e. does it digest well? Do you feel good after consuming it? (no crazy blood sugar crash following ingestion), how does it affect training if at all? If Frosted Flakes digest well for you, I see no reason in not consuming them in moderation. Obviously I wouldn't want to see anyone getting all their carbs from highly processed cereal products, but it wouldn't be horrible to keep them in your arsenal as long as you're getting plenty of fiber and micronutrients from other carbohydrate sources.

Most would argue it's not ideal, but I always advise people to find carb sources that agree with them. i.e. does it digest well? Do you feel good after consuming it? (no crazy blood sugar crash following ingestion), how does it affect training if at all? If Frosted Flakes digest well for you, I see no reason in not consuming them in moderation. Obviously I wouldn't want to see anyone getting all their carbs from highly processed cereal products, but it wouldn't be horrible to keep them in your arsenal as long as you're getting plenty of fiber and micronutrients from other carbohydrate sources.

They do work well for me and digestion is easy. Ate a cup and a half post workout. Shakey hands made using the spoon a pain in the ass, so I just drank it down! Shakes went away within minutes and flat muscles filled out with a couple of hours.

As far as an entire carb source - that wasn't what meant, simply as a post workout carb source was my question. I tend to eat more protein and fat in the evening and keep carbs higher in the am and post workout.

They do work well for me and digestion is easy. Ate a cup and a half post workout. Shakey hands made using the spoon a pain in the ass, so I just drank it down! Shakes went away within minutes and flat muscles filled out with a couple of hours.

As far as an entire carb source - that wasn't what meant, simply as a post workout carb source was my question. I tend to eat more protein and fat in the evening and keep carbs higher in the am and post workout.
You're fine then. As long as it doesn't cause any problems, keep pounding the Frosted Flakes. After all, they're grrrrrreat!

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws