over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Thoughts on Sissy Squats ???

xpoc

Registered
I have a permanent lower back (spinal) injury so I have to be extra careful loading the spine. I just inherited a sissy squat machine just like the one in this video. I have never used one. Has anyone had any success using the sissy squat as their primary quad exercise? How hard is it on the knees? (Note: I can also do extensions and dumbbell lunges without any issues.)

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_GgqlXwJDE"]Sissy squats - YouTube[/ame]

well.....the name kinda says it all....

a nice cheerleading exercise...

:cool:

I don't know about as the main quad exercise, but I know in combination with squats, leg presses, etc, sissy squats are very very painful.

Watch :)

-MT

[ame="http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YJjdwXnpbA"]http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YJjdwXnpbA[/ame]

Cheerleaders like Platz used to be fond of them. But I would guess that squats were main stay.

haha....he said hes weak.....so yea....if you cant hang the some weights
then yea....do 500 reps of SISSY squirts....you'll get a pump....
but that's it...

:)

I actually thought the wo was horrible.....his head wasn't in it...

Well since I am limited due to the spinal issues, I am going to have to sissy squat my ass off I suppose.

Is this a true Sissy Squat? I was under the impression that a Sissy Squat was performed by going down on the toes with the knees far in front of the feet.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Xpoc,

Just do the best you can with what you got.

You can hold a plate high up on your chest just under your chin to keep your torso straight to make them more difficult.

Start easy and go up when you feel ready.

They are very different than leg extensions.

You can go very deep on them as well.

Give 'em your best shot and maybe hit legs twice a week or maybe even more frequently. There is more than one way to grow muscle than the standard a,b,c's.

Go intense, with some failure sets. Controlled negatives with explosive positives.

Good luck!

-MT

Well since I am limited due to the spinal issues, I am going to have to sissy squat my ass off I suppose.

I would say the seated hack would be the thing to do....

put the weight more on the hips, rather than compressing the spine.

its basically an upright leg press.

Attachments

• hack.jpg
    hack.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 398
Xpoc,

Just do the best you can with what you got.

You can hold a plate high up on your chest just under your chin to keep your torso straight to make them more difficult.

Start easy and go up when you feel ready.

They are very different than leg extensions.

You can go very deep on them as well.

Give 'em your best shot and maybe hit legs twice a week or maybe even more frequently. There is more than one way to grow muscle than the standard a,b,c's.

Go intense, with some failure sets. Controlled negatives with explosive positives.

Good luck!

-MT

Thanks man that is my plan. I'm 48 now and although I am still in the game trying to pack on some size, ultimately me need to be upright and walking for the rest of my life is more important. I am going to rep the heck out of my legs...using a high frequency 3x per week approach.

There is nothing wrong with sissy squats. If you can do lunges and sissy squats then make it happen. Markus Rhul said every exercise is a mass builder for him.

I have spine issues and work around it. My leg workouts are completely different from my younger years. My legs have always been a strong point and I never squat anymore. I do a lot of one leg exercises and and tricks to keep the muscle tension where it needs to be without sacrificing the joints. Squats against a balance ball next to the wall, squatting on a wobble board, one leg squats on balance pads, reverse lunges, one leg squats with other leg in front, side or behind me with dumbbells in hand, step ups with weights...etc... My legs are not giant but respectable and my spine feels great.

Don't listen to those telling you that you need to go heavy and crush your joints. You can only burn your candle from both ends for so long. If you want to exercise for the rest of your life, save those joints. Look at Ronnie now.

Last edited:
There is nothing wrong with sissy squats. If you can do lunges and sissy squats then make it happen. Markus Rhul said every exercise is a mass builder for him.

I have spine issues and work around it. My leg workouts are completely different from my younger years. My legs have always been a strong point and I never squat anymore. I do a lot of one leg exercises and and tricks to keep the muscle tension where it needs to be without sacrificing the joints. Squats against a balance ball next to the wall, squatting on a wobble board, one leg squats on balance pads, reverse lunges, one leg squats with other leg in front, side or behind me with dumbbells in hand, step ups with weights...etc... My legs are not giant but respectable and my spine feels great.

Don't listen to those telling you that you need to go heavy and crush your joints. You can only burn your candle from both ends for so long. If you want to exercise for the rest of your life, save those joints. Look at Ronnie now.

you are speaking about a fucking Olympian....as if comparing the two...

no one is saying "go heavy or your a pussy".....it is simply weighted
resistance....doing powerlifter type workouts that "BIG RON" does(or did)
is ridiculous....

but "SISSSSSSY sqts" never built any big legs.....

isn't this what he wants to accomplish...????

Hip belt squats, they help with decompressing and allow a decent load

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

btw.....your one vid away from a viral joke...."one leg sqts on balance
pad"...???? "wobble board sqts"...??? one legged pointer sqts..?? WTF...

no wonder you've never posted a pic.

Correct sissy squat. These are a great finisher. You can also do them on the hack squat

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 351

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
12cc
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner