over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Thoughts on voluntary overtraining?

itconsulting

Registered
What's your thoughts on voluntary overtrain for 2-3 weeks (no off day, forcing your body with preworkout) and then OFF for 2-3 days and start training normally again in hope to gain strength?

What's your thoughts on voluntary overtrain for 2-3 weeks (no off day, forcing your body with preworkout) and then OFF for 2-3 days and start training normally again in hope to gain strength?

Yes, this works damn well if you do it correctly and have the time to spend in the gym. A number of summers back, my training partner and I did this, and we both gained some solid lean tissue in a very short amount of time. It was pretty brutal though... I remember feeling like complete dogshit by the end of the second week (that's kind of the goal).

Charles Poliquin wrote an article about this on t-mag, I'm pretty sure it was called "the super accumulation program." We trained 6 days a week, and about half of those days were 2 sessions per day..

It's not something I'd do often, but if your diet/supplement regimens were dialed in and you had a few weeks to train multiple times a day, I'd highly recommend it a couple of times per year to get some solid lean tissue growth.

I recently listened to a podcast (Podcast ? Body Building Legends )
with Roy Callendar. He mentioned that he once trained, if memory serves me here,
16 days in a row. Then he took 4 days off. He said he could see himself growing
every day during his time off.

And BTW, this link to podcasts includes many of the great bodybuilders of the
‘golden era.’ Very informative and insightful listening. There is even an interview
with Dorian in there.

It's actually a valid idea.

I'm not quite sure how to structure it, but I would schedule it before a vacation, or a business trip, or period where you know you cannot train. Then your break serves a dual purpose.

You probably need more than 2-3 days to recover from severe overtraining though.

If you train for 3 weeks straight, you probably need 5-7 days off to fully recuperate. That might go well with a planned vacation.

Overtraining (long workouts) with the use of insulin is great. As long as youre not in pain or feel like shit, do it.
Of course I only do this for short bursts.

Was it Milos that said long workouts with insulin helps the body stay sensitive to insulin and makes your muscles starve for nutrients. Which makes it less likely to get fat while running exogenous slin.
I could be wrong or made my own assumption from the context.

Why wouldn't you just do hit for a few weeks. Then volume for a few weeks and back to hit. That seems to help me keep my weight going up and prevent burning myself out.

Overtraining rarely happens, despite what you read on the interwebz.

Overreaching happens, and when planned correctly, can be beneficial.

I have done this before where I train for 3-4 days straight, hard, and absolutely shredded myself. The DOMS was almost unbearable. After a week off though (never shorter than that) , I would come back and have pretty significant strength gains. This was back when I was fully natty (and younger, for what its worth). I'm sure on gear you could shorten the time off, but still make sure to listen to your body and not rush yourself back

You can overtrain in two ways I would say. One would be too much volume and I think this is by far the most common. Perhaps this is what the OP is thinking about? Just plain doing too many sets and exercises.

The second way you can overtrain is by doing training too intense for too long. Stuff like forced reps, drop sets, Mike Mentzer heavy duty type training. Doing that for too long overtrains you fast. The other type with too much volume creeps up on you slowly.

I've sort of done it before trips when I know I won't be able to work out for several days-week. I don't like to make it a habit though.

A proper deload is essential to experience supercompensation. You don't need to deliberately beat yourself into the ground though. I just take a week off every 6-8 weeks to let your joints recover from the heavy training. You will be surprised how much stronger you feel when you come back. Remember fatigue masks fitness!

Overtraining (long workouts) with the use of insulin is great. As long as youre not in pain or feel like shit, do it.
Of course I only do this for short bursts.

Was it Milos that said long workouts with insulin helps the body stay sensitive to insulin and makes your muscles starve for nutrients. Which makes it less likely to get fat while running exogenous slin.
I could be wrong or made my own assumption from the context.

yes, was going to mention Milos in my original post as well, but couldn't remember exactly what I heard him say about this... it was something similar though...

Adaptability: adapt, survive, and conquer.
I think it would force the body to grow for survival.
Guys that repeatedly swing a hammer all day everyday get huge triceps.

I train arms everyday. Guess what my best body part is.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Peterwilliam
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131