over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Thyroid and Cholesterol Connection

JOKER

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
High Cholesterol and Hypothyroidism Connection

LDL particles exit your bloodstream through your liver, a process that requires thyroid hormone, says Elizabeth A. McAninch, MD, an assistant professor in endocrinology, diabetes, and metabolism at Rush University in Chicago. If a person has low thyroid hormone levels, or hypothyroidism, it can cause elevated LDL cholesterol levels, she says.

Cholesterol levels are measured through a simple blood test. Ideally, your LDL levels should be less than 100 milligrams per deciliter (mg/dL), according to the Cleveland Clinic; 160 mg/dL or more is considered high. Lipid guidelines from the American College of Cardiology and AHA recommend that people with elevated cholesterol levels be screened for secondary causes, including hypothyroidism, which should be treated, if applicable.

Not only are elevated LDL levels associated with an increased risk of heart attack and stroke, but high cholesterol may also be associated with neurodegenerative disease, such as Alzheimerss, says Dr. McAninch.

Untreated hypothyroidism has been shown to be associated with increased cardiovascular mortality and morbidity, she says. That’s one of the reasons that the American Thyroid Association (ATA) guidelines recommend treating patients with overt hypothyroidism.

Treating hypothyroidism with thyroid hormone may help to lower cholesterol levels, according to the ATA. But it?s possible that standard treatment alone isn’t quite enough to keep all systems running normally. A research review and meta-analysis by McAninch and her colleagues published in the August 2018 issue of The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism showed that LDL and total cholesterol levels were not fully restored even in people with supposedly adequate treatment of their hypothyroidism. Specifically, LDL and total cholesterol remained higher in people with hypothyroidism who were taking levothyroxine at doses to achieve normal serum thyroid-stimulating hormone levels, she said.

How does the thyroid cause cholesterol problems?

Your body needs thyroid hormones to make cholesterol and to get rid of the cholesterol it doesn’t need. When thyroid hormone levels are low (hypothyroidism), your body doesn’t break down and remove LDL cholesterol as efficiently as usual. LDL cholesterol can then build up in your blood.

Thyroid hormone levels don’t have to be very low to increase cholesterol. Even people with mildly low thyroid levels, called subclinical hypothyroidism, can have higher than normal LDL cholesterol. A 2012 study found that high TSH levels alone can directly raise cholesterol levels, even if thyroid hormone levels aren’t low.

on the other side, hyperthyroidism (even mild) is associated with abnormal low levels of cholersterol, LDL and HDL.
I am speaking out of experience of my own bloodwork (TSH < 0,01 with high t3/t4 = LDL of lower than 50 and hdl lower than 30)

High Cholesterol and Hypothyroidism Connection

LDL particles exit your bloodstream through your liver, a process that requires thyroid hormone, says Elizabeth A. McAninch, MD, an assistant professor in endocrinology, diabetes, and metabolism at Rush University in Chicago. If a person has low thyroid hormone levels, or hypothyroidism, it can cause elevated LDL cholesterol levels, she says.

Cholesterol levels are measured through a simple blood test. Ideally, your LDL levels should be less than 100 milligrams per deciliter (mg/dL), according to the Cleveland Clinic; 160 mg/dL or more is considered high. Lipid guidelines from the American College of Cardiology and AHA recommend that people with elevated cholesterol levels be screened for secondary causes, including hypothyroidism, which should be treated, if applicable.

Not only are elevated LDL levels associated with an increased risk of heart attack and stroke, but high cholesterol may also be associated with neurodegenerative disease, such as Alzheimerss, says Dr. McAninch.

Untreated hypothyroidism has been shown to be associated with increased cardiovascular mortality and morbidity, she says. That’s one of the reasons that the American Thyroid Association (ATA) guidelines recommend treating patients with overt hypothyroidism.

Treating hypothyroidism with thyroid hormone may help to lower cholesterol levels, according to the ATA. But it?s possible that standard treatment alone isn’t quite enough to keep all systems running normally. A research review and meta-analysis by McAninch and her colleagues published in the August 2018 issue of The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism showed that LDL and total cholesterol levels were not fully restored even in people with supposedly adequate treatment of their hypothyroidism. Specifically, LDL and total cholesterol remained higher in people with hypothyroidism who were taking levothyroxine at doses to achieve normal serum thyroid-stimulating hormone levels, she said.

How does the thyroid cause cholesterol problems?

Your body needs thyroid hormones to make cholesterol and to get rid of the cholesterol it doesn’t need. When thyroid hormone levels are low (hypothyroidism), your body doesn’t break down and remove LDL cholesterol as efficiently as usual. LDL cholesterol can then build up in your blood.

Thyroid hormone levels don’t have to be very low to increase cholesterol. Even people with mildly low thyroid levels, called subclinical hypothyroidism, can have higher than normal LDL cholesterol. A 2012 study found that high TSH levels alone can directly raise cholesterol levels, even if thyroid hormone levels aren’t low.

Also something to consider is that cholesterol is the backbone of all hormones. So basically if you are deficient in any hormone, it can cause an increase in production of cholesterol as part of the feedback to produce more of that hormone.

Also something to consider is that cholesterol is the backbone of all hormones. So basically if you are deficient in any hormone, it can cause an increase in production of cholesterol as part of the feedback to produce more of that hormone.
Studies I have seen have shown that when peoples hormone levels are adjusted when they are older to healthy younger levels their cholesterol levels usually return to what are considered healthy levels.

Hypothyroidism causes absolute mayhem in the body if not treated. I wish I didn't know this from experience.

Studies I have seen have shown that when peoples hormone levels are adjusted when they are older to healthy younger levels their cholesterol levels usually return to what are considered healthy levels.

I wish there was a way to educate primary care doctors about this. It seems that if patients have high cholesterol, they automatically prescribe a statin without any regard for attempting to first find the cause and treat that first instead.

I wish there was a way to educate primary care doctors about this. It seems that if patients have high cholesterol, they automatically prescribe a statin without any regard for attempting to first find the cause and treat that first instead.
Me too. But Dr's are really not schooled in how to be healthy. Only managing pain and curing disease. Health is a whole other level. If they tried to treat each person as an individual we would need several times the number of Dr's we have I would guess. That is why people need to take charge of their own lives.

Hahah i wish!!! My cholesterol would go down when i correct my hormones, shit dont work,. Hashimotos in my family but i dont have it yet, low t, and high cholesterol....maybe i should aim to get my thyroid levels higher towards the high range?

Maybe post the sources of your copy and pasted post.

Hahah i wish!!! My cholesterol would go down when i correct my hormones, shit dont work,. Hashimotos in my family but i dont have it yet, low t, and high cholesterol....maybe i should aim to get my thyroid levels higher towards the high range?
What are your cholesterol levels like when your T , E, DHEA and Thyroid are at healthy levels for several months.

What are your cholesterol levels like when your T , E, DHEA and Thyroid are at healthy levels for several months.

What is considered healthy levels of t, e, dhea and thyroid? My levels have always come back "normal"? Except test, and cholesterol since circa 2005-2006....since that time frame my cholesterol shot up, and my total t dropped like an aged old man.... Even when test is at normal ranges my cholesterol doesnt really budge below 275 total and 177 ldl...

What is considered healthy levels of t, e, dhea and thyroid? My levels have always come back "normal"? Except test, and cholesterol since circa 2005-2006....since that time frame my cholesterol shot up, and my total t dropped like an aged old man.... Even when test is at normal ranges my cholesterol doesnt really budge below 275 total and 177 ldl...
Generally it seems that guys it the upper 1/3 of the T range are healthier in general much like when men are young. As guys get old and their T levels drop their cholesterol levels go up. The studies I have seen where guys cholesterol levels are well above healthy(over 200) and their T levels are brought into the upper 1/3 range of "normal" the cholesterol levels drop to around 180 for the total. The body produces more choleserol as it is the building block of T. And it want's the T levels to be higher but is unable to actually make the T it needs.

Generally it seems that guys it the upper 1/3 of the T range are healthier in general much like when men are young. As guys get old and their T levels drop their cholesterol levels go up. The studies I have seen where guys cholesterol levels are well above healthy(over 200) and their T levels are brought into the upper 1/3 range of "normal" the cholesterol levels drop to around 180 for the total. The body produces more choleserol as it is the building block of T. And it want's the T levels to be higher but is unable to actually make the T it needs.

well when i was on trt (havent been for a couple yrs now) my cholesterol would not budge...it went down like 1 time from 277 to 239.... that was it...wish i could actually have my body work as it should, but just not sure where my t levels need to be in order for my cholesterol to lower......perhaps throw some dhea and thyroid meds in to bring everything to the upper ranges?

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge
  • A50#
    Old School Moderator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrcivic
NapsGear