over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Time restricted eating

LATS

Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge
Staff member
Registered
I'm assuming most of us have heard about this new diet.. I have always blown it off as not condusive for bodybuilding.. But talked to a 212 competitor recently and he has been following this protocal for quite a while.. Even prepping for a show.. He eats only between 9 am and 6.. He claims it allows him about three meals on most days but if he's hungrier than usual he gets in 4.. He generally tries to keep his macros the same as he would eating 6 meals a day but it sometimes falls off a bit.. He trains at 4 in the after noon so only allows one meal before the cutoff.. But he claims no ill effects.. He's still gaining muscle and feels his insulin sensitivity is much better.. He's stayed leaner and feels actually fuller.. Anyone try this ? I know a buddy of mine who roomed with haney and gaspari back in the 80s ( won the california) who only ate three meals a day most days and he looked awesome..

New diet? This is just another term for intermittent fasting, which is very old. Repopularized by Martin Berkhan around 2010 but even then it wasn't new.

It does seem though that more and more people are finally coming around to it and fewer and fewer people automatically dismiss it. I've yet to see someone try it and say bad things unless they just can't get in the necessary calories in their eating window.

I've done it since 2011. Very convenient. I don't think it's superior to normal eating as far as bodybuilding progress goes, but it doesn't seem any worse either and is very convenient.

I've noticed that almost 100% of the people who come up with reasons against it due to the long period of not eating are people who have not tried it.

Yea if you can fit all your kcal into that time window I dont see a negative! Doing my reverse diet at 3,8k kcal atm i could easy fit that into a time window of that scale. Maybe i give it a go

Yes I'm aware it's a old diet or variation of a old diet.. That's why I said I always blew it off.. It was a poor attempt at sarcasm lol 😉.. That being said I'm still interested in it as far as getting better insulin sensitivity.. ( if it even accomplishes it) but I'm seeing more and more competitors starting to stray away from the typical 6 to 8 meals a day and seem to not be faring any worse.. Like you said it may not be superior but if its more convienent im all for it..

New diet? This is just another term for intermittent fasting, which is very old. Repopularized by Martin Berkhan around 2010 but even then it wasn't new.

It does seem though that more and more people are finally coming around to it and fewer and fewer people automatically dismiss it. I've yet to see someone try it and say bad things unless they just can't get in the necessary calories in their eating window.

I've done it since 2011. Very convenient. I don't think it's superior to normal eating as far as bodybuilding progress goes, but it doesn't seem any worse either and is very convenient.

I've noticed that almost 100% of the people who come up with reasons against it due to the long period of not eating are people who have not tried it.

I eat on non training days only 3 meals, maybe a snack like yogurt with real fruit. On training days, I eat 3 meals, add a protein drink before working out.

Last edited:
A few things I notice with this:

1. Is this how an advanced guy built his muscle? Probably not.

2. Do the bodybuilders that do this sit on the upper end of the genetic spectrum? Highly likely.

Some of us have bodies that don't like carrying large amounts of muscle and fight like hell to build any little bit [emoji20]

This probably would be something I'd experiment with if I was older, already built most of my muscle and was sick of eating and just trying to stay in good condition. Bboy looked ridiculous eating 12-1800 calories a day at one point; but again, his 20 years of working to build it and his upper level genetics were there too.

Longevity wise: time restricted eating has been discussed real well by Dr. Rhonda Patrick and there's some interesting topics of growth factors, insulin, circadian rhythms, and breast cancer that were discussed by her and other experts. I'll see if I can dig it up.

The sad reality of longevity and performance being two separate roads can be a little off putting [emoji846]

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I followed a time restricted/intermittent fasting based diet for around 18 months before I started getting back into competing seriously. I found I generally felt better and that I could maintain my current physique and strength levels, and after a short time started leaning out and stayed fairly lean. I also stayed on a mostly ketogenic diet during this time as well as a note.

Way easier to stay leaner if you have genetically poor insulin sensitivity. I always did 12-8pm. I always hungriest at night

The only major advantage I had with a short eating window was a flatter stomach and felt lighter during the workout. Both are very important during prep, and I can see how some would use this during a growth period, but IDK about doing it year round unless you have a very mature training age.

Meadow's has mentioned he's become an advocate of IF and implements it with clients to reset metabolism, sensitivity, and digestion.

Once every 3 weeks im doing a 24 hour fast with the use of SR Adderal. I do 30 mins easy fasted cardio that day and black coffee/water. If you do this be sure to supplement electrolytes.

Meadow's has mentioned he's become an advocate of IF and implements it with clients to reset metabolism, sensitivity, and digestion.

lol I'd love to have someone scientifically explain to me what resetting a metabolism means...

Imagining a little plug into the metabolism box, take it out and try plugging it back in.

lol I'd love to have someone scientifically explain to me what resetting a metabolism means...

Imagining a little plug into the metabolism box, take it out and try plugging it back in.

Someone pulled out my plug when I turned 50. :eek:

Well if youve ever been balls deep in an off season and no matter what you keep shoveling food and your weight isnt moving...

I think implementing some fasting periods with HIIT cardio would "stoke" the fire per se and allow your body to better utilize and partition nutrients..

Resetting is just a laymans way basically.

I have been using a 8hr feeding window for a while and will likely shorten it to 6hr soon do to my work schedule change.

My stomach issues prevent me from eating within 3hrs of bed so I eat directly after the gym at 6:30-6:45 and hit the bed around 10. I eat my first meal at 11 during my normal lunch time.

The first few weeks it was very hard to not eat breakfast , I normally wake up starving but by 9am the hunger pansg went away. Now I'm hungy when I wake up but nothing like I was

A couple of the recent Joe Rogan podcasts have dived into this topic a bit; there's one with Peter Attia and the most recent one with Ben Greenfield. Both really kind of go into different means and methods of increasing longevity, so intermittent fasting/time restricted eating comes up and both and they go through some of the metabolic processes that occur as a result and how they benefit people.

Well if youve ever been balls deep in an off season and no matter what you keep shoveling food and your weight isnt moving...

I think implementing some fasting periods with HIIT cardio would "stoke" the fire per se and allow your body to better utilize and partition nutrients..

Resetting is just a laymans way basically.

So the secret to getting one's weight up is to fast and add HIIT cardio....;)

I'm mostly busting your balls, I do think in some cases there can be a better partitioning effect based on meal timing however it's generally overstated.

A couple of the recent Joe Rogan podcasts have dived into this topic a bit; there's one with Peter Attia and the most recent one with Ben Greenfield. Both really kind of go into different means and methods of increasing longevity, so intermittent fasting/time restricted eating comes up and both and they go through some of the metabolic processes that occur as a result and how they benefit people.

Yea the podcast with Attia was good. I'm aware of the purported benefits of fasting (though they're often very overstated). Like I said I've done intermittent fasting at time since 2011. There are just certain terms thrown out there that I think are a bit silly and very overused in this industry ("Detoxing the body", "resetting the metabolism", "fat burning machine", etc)

I look much fuller and feel better having meals, shakes , and fruit in beteeen meals every 2 hours or so. Consuming small to moderate meals 8 times a day keeps the metabolism firing and everything looks good. When i visit my family and eat 3 meals i look worse and feel worse. We are finely tuned machines. We need to keep adding fuel to win the race. That’s just my opinion, but if you’re just trying to maintain you can do it on 3 meals obviously. In the 70’s my friend’s Dad was Mr NABBA Universe. He beat Serge Nubret. He said they dieted for shows then on 3 meals and only about 1,000 calories per day. He used to throw parties where he made halotestin brownies for his buddies. Hahahahaha

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
commonplaceconsulting
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131