over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Timing of Metformin for fat loss vs. muscle building

Taken straight from the manufacturers info for Glucophage

Metformin method of action

Its pharmacologic mechanisms of action are different from other classes of oral antihyperglycemic agents. Metformin decreases hepatic glucose production, decreases intestinal absorption of glucose, and improves insulin sensitivity by increasing peripheral glucose uptake and utilization.

decreases intestinal absorption of carbohydrates. If they're not being absorbed....where are they going? Sure sounds like glucose disposal to me

Alright thanks for the info!

Could you please explain how and why? Because that contradicts everything I've heard.

pubmed dude. read the data.

Taken straight from the manufacturers info for Glucophage

Metformin method of action

Its pharmacologic mechanisms of action are different from other classes of oral antihyperglycemic agents. Metformin decreases hepatic glucose production, decreases intestinal absorption of glucose, and improves insulin sensitivity by increasing peripheral glucose uptake and utilization.

decreases intestinal absorption of carbohydrates. If they're not being absorbed....where are they going? Sure sounds like glucose disposal to me

GDA I thought mean help clear sugar out of blood stream non insulin
Metformin has no action like that, the glute-4 enhancement is negligible.
stopping ingestion of carbs I would term more carb blocker.

Do you take it with or without carbs pre bed?

It varies as I don't follow a set diet plan. If I am not hungry I have it last thing with no food. Most nights if I do eat it tends to be protein and some fat pre bed and I take it as normal last thing. Today I actually started 500mg first thing in the morning before a bowl of fruit muesli. I am going to carry on using 500mg am and pm. I would just add it into your existing diet plan and not worry about the details. It works with or without carbs.

Side note: Just saw a new endo for the first time the other day (specializes in diabetes) and asked her what she thought of metformin in non-diabetics. She said it's good and promotes longevity. Sounded like the read the same studies we did.

Regardless of muscle building or fatloss, I keep as far away from my workout as possible. Usually about 5-6 hours POST.

I workout almost EOD so on cardio/off days, I take it pre-cardio and throughout the day.

I'm very new to metformin and was curious why you keep it as far away from your workout?

Do you know the half life of it? Or why are you under the impression that it needs to build up?

Metformin works in a few ways. It helps your body properly respond to its insulin, reduces glucose production in the liver, and helps block glucose absorption in your intestines. Metformin is a quick-acting oral medication—you will typically see some effect within 48 hours of starting the medication. Maximum effect will take about four to five days, but that depends on the dose. ”
Wait Times: How Long Until Your Med Begins Working: Diabetes Forecast®

Most everything I have read shows this same time line or even longer. Think of it more like a steroid. The half life of one dose really doesn't matter it is the accumulated effect over a long period of time where you notice anything.

I take 500 mg morning and 500 mg night no matter what.. Carbs- no carbs -bulking - cuting !
Still works no matter the goal ( gaining fat free mass- loosing fat easier )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Many of the oncologists at Cedars Sinai take metformin for prevention benefits, and I have heard the same about the doctors at the UCLA cancer center.

more and more physicians are becoming progressive in the prevention of disease rather than reactionary.

I take 500 mg morning and 500 mg night no matter what.. Carbs- no carbs -bulking - cuting !
Still works no matter the goal ( gaining fat free mass- loosing fat easier )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was going to do this, even bought the pills but then I seen a video with Dave palmubo saying don't use it, it ruins your igf levels, I don't take hgh so can't afford for igf to go any lower

I was going to do this, even bought the pills but then I seen a video with Dave palmubo saying don't use it, it ruins your igf levels, I don't take hgh so can't afford for igf to go any lower

Lowering insulin technically lowers igf but that's nonsense. I've talked to Dave in person about metformin, lead the conversation purposefully to see if he had any knowledge on it and he does not. Very knowledgeable guy but not in that regard.

I'm very new to metformin and was curious why you keep it as far away from your workout?

I would assume because of post workout mTOR and you already have excellent insulin sensitivity post workout so no need for metformin

Lowering insulin technically lowers igf but that's nonsense. I've talked to Dave in person about metformin, lead the conversation purposefully to see if he had any knowledge on it and he does not. Very knowledgeable guy but not in that regard.

Thanks for clearing that up

Dave has said a few things which don't sound right to me, this week on his Q&As he was asked what's the best liver support, his answer was milk thistle, no mention of NAC or TUDCA, anyways....

When I start my bulk in afew weeks I will try 500mg met with the first and last meal, slin an maybe hgh together prework

Does consuming fats matter with met? My breakfast is normly 4/5 whole eggs?

Thanks for clearing that up

Dave has said a few things which don't sound right to me, this week on his Q&As he was asked what's the best liver support, his answer was milk thistle, no mention of NAC or TUDCA, anyways....

When I start my bulk in afew weeks I will try 500mg met with the first and last meal, slin an maybe hgh together prework

Does consuming fats matter with met? My breakfast is normly 4/5 whole eggs?

Your very welcome. I hate to see somebody disuaded from using a drug that has whole system health benefits. Nope doesn't matter, digestive preference man. If you find the metformin busts your gut initially then try timing it around meals vs with a meal. Data suggests that the absorption with food vs without is pretty close as a percentage.

Your very welcome. I hate to see somebody disuaded from using a drug that has whole system health benefits. Nope doesn't matter, digestive preference man. If you find the metformin busts your gut initially then try timing it around meals vs with a meal. Data suggests that the absorption with food vs without is pretty close as a percentage.

Thanks again, I can count on promuscle to give good info haha

Yeah I hear there is a chance you might have gastro probs at first, I'll just have to see what happens

Cheers :)

The metformin debate has gone on and on since ive been a member of pm, but this is what I personaly believe about it based on medical studies and my own experimentation.

I did an experiment taking 500 metformin and 10 iu humalog pre-workout with pepto pro and gatorade as my intra shake....pumps were crazy painful almost too much. Studies show metformin targets muscle glycogen cells NOT liver glycogen. So all those carbs get shuttled right where we want them.

I did metformin in ketosis and guys said that was stupid....personally at the time I felt it kept me leaner....later I would research studies that showed that metformin inhibits gluconeogenesis. Now if the bodies ability to turn protein into glucose is inhibited than it makes sense that more of the aminos are left in the blood stream to promote protein synthesis...even in a state of low to zero carbs.

Thanks again, I can count on promuscle to give good info haha

Yeah I hear there is a chance you might have gastro probs at first, I'll just have to see what happens

Cheers :)

I had those problems when I started. I switched to extended release and they stopped immediately.

Would any one use metfornin with a cheat meal an if so would you take it before the meal or after?

Matt porter says he would take his (when dieting) afew hours after the meal b4 bed so he would wake up with lower blood sugar an jump straight into fat burning mode

But a lot of bodybuilders on my Instagram are using 2 GDA before cheat meals or high carb meals to "push carbs into muscles", I'm assuming met an gda are similar?

Any one here do either?

Would any one use metfornin with a cheat meal an if so would you take it before the meal or after?

Matt porter says he would take his (when dieting) afew hours after the meal b4 bed so he would wake up with lower blood sugar an jump straight into fat burning mode

But a lot of bodybuilders on my Instagram are using 2 GDA before cheat meals or high carb meals to "push carbs into muscles", I'm assuming met an gda are similar?

Any one here do either?

I have done all of the above. I guess it depends upon your exact goals. I need to start doing it again. In my cupboard I have MountainDog's GDA when he was with Prime and have another one. I have used others in the past. The best one was by Man Sports but they stopped doing it. That was super strong and would make me go hypo if I didn't eat enough carbs. I remember telling Rambo about it and he went bad hypo on it :eek::D I would have 2 caps before my pre workout meal and the pumps were ridiculous. I would take it at other times too. Basically 1-2 caps before carb meals. I have used metformin before and after too. Now I just prefer using metformin as I posted earlier. In the morning I do it before my breakfast and in the evening I do it last thing (no matter if I eat or not).

Staff online

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
commonplaceconsulting
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity