over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Timing of Metformin for fat loss vs. muscle building

ShZ

Registered
Hey guys,

When do you think is the best time to take Metformin for the above mentioned reasons? If you want to benefit from the increased glucose uptake and the inhibition of gluconeogenesis, could you take it pre workout instead or in combination with exogenous insulin? And what effect would it have if you took it without eating any carbs with it?

Thanks in advance!

Its the same.
if you take with carbs blocks some of the ingestion of them.
The glute-4 "positive effects" one aren't that significant in real life and I am not so sure is critical on hitting peak levels in blood stream.
If you use with slin as I do , just note that without liver helping you have less of a safety net. I use exo slin low dose and don't chase my blood sugar around on it.
Main benefit from met is less overall insulin exposure in the fasted state, thus making you more sensitive to it.

Its the same.
if you take with carbs blocks some of the ingestion of them.
The glute-4 "positive effects" one aren't that significant in real life and I am not so sure is critical on hitting peak levels in blood stream.
If you use with slin as I do , just note that without liver helping you have less of a safety net. I use exo slin low dose and don't chase my blood sugar around on it.
Main benefit from met is less overall insulin exposure in the fasted state, thus making you more sensitive to it.

How is it supposed to block the ingestion of carbs? I thought it would enhance glucose uptake? So, it's not beneficial pre workout?!

Thanks for the answer.

its a glucose disposal agent. Dispose means get rid of

Regardless of muscle building or fatloss, I keep as far away from my workout as possible. Usually about 5-6 hours POST.

I workout almost EOD so on cardio/off days, I take it pre-cardio and throughout the day.

Ok I see.. Got it completely wrong. I'll probably take it pre bed then. But I still don't fully understand its mechanism of action. How exactly does it get rid of the glucose? I mean it has to go somewhere. And how does it compare to other insulin sensitizers?

Ok I see.. Got it completely wrong. I'll probably take it pre bed then. But I still don't fully understand its mechanism of action. How exactly does it get rid of the glucose? I mean it has to go somewhere. And how does it compare to other insulin sensitizers?

https://www.pharmgkb.org/pathway/PA165948566

This is oversimplification but..Think of metformin as up regulating the energy control gauge of your cells. Your body can oxidize fat more efficiently, and take glucose into the muscle to burn as fuel vs store in the fat cell. This results in less fat storage, and over time more muscle because an insulin sensitive muscle will also take in more amino acids. Metformin takes a little bit to build up in your body before notable effects are seen, and you may also see modest improvements in your blood work for lipid profile, bp, etc

More of a nutrient partitioning agent than a GDA due to uptake of glucose into skeletal tissue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More of a nutrient partitioning agent than a GDA due to uptake of glucose into skeletal tissue.

Yes....but it does prevent the absorption of a portion of carbohydrates

I dont believe it actually is a GDA like berberine, ala etc but definitely increases insulin sensitivity

***Didnt see other posts

Last edited:
I have just started using 500mg pre bed again. I may up the dose to 1000mg but that is enough for me. I 100% notice I am tigther when I wake up and that's not placebo. I notice the same thing from the first dose everytime I restart it. I constantly have breaks so restart it all the time. This time I am going to stay on a while as it's a great tool.

Since metformin needs to build up in the liver to be really effective timing should be less of an issue as i see it.

Use berberine together with metformin. They have excellent synergy where it's 1+1 = 3.

500mg of each beats higher dose of either.

Since metformin needs to build up in the liver to be really effective timing should be less of an issue as i see it.

Do you know the half life of it? Or why are you under the impression that it needs to build up?

I have just started using 500mg pre bed again. I may up the dose to 1000mg but that is enough for me. I 100% notice I am tigther when I wake up and that's not placebo. I notice the same thing from the first dose everytime I restart it. I constantly have breaks so restart it all the time. This time I am going to stay on a while as it's a great tool.

Do you take it with or without carbs pre bed?

What do you guys think about the idea of taking it pre bed in combination with MK-677 without any carbohydrates and doing fasted cardio in the morning?

Use berberine together with metformin. They have excellent synergy where it's 1+1 = 3.

500mg of each beats higher dose of either.

Actually not a good combo. Can't recall off the top of my head but combining the two has its negative effects.

Could you please explain how and why? Because that contradicts everything I've heard.

Google the MOA of Metformin. It blocks some carb uptake in the small intestines. How much, I'm not entirely sure.

Could you please explain how and why? Because that contradicts everything I've heard.

Taken straight from the manufacturers info for Glucophage

Metformin method of action

Its pharmacologic mechanisms of action are different from other classes of oral antihyperglycemic agents. Metformin decreases hepatic glucose production, decreases intestinal absorption of glucose, and improves insulin sensitivity by increasing peripheral glucose uptake and utilization.

decreases intestinal absorption of carbohydrates. If they're not being absorbed....where are they going? Sure sounds like glucose disposal to me

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws