over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

tips for a personal trainer starting out

Make an account on instagram, twitter and facebook.

Seriously, if you build a good physique you can create a website linked off those social media sites and sell online training programs. I see it every day. You charge for a package, give deals, create plans with them much like hiring a trainer on here or another BBing site, but you are displaying your body as the billboard for your advertising and its free. I have a friend who sells online training programs and emails clients and sells nutritional supplements and does it all via instagram and twitter. Currently makes about 800/week dealing with solely online clients and has been doing it for about a year now.

awesome idea bro. i was thinking of a website, i gotta dial my physique in a little more yet.

personal training is SALES

The most important skill you need to learn if you want to be successful is to be able to sell and market yourself. If you don't like sales, you might as well quit now. Start out at a large gym chain. This will help you with sales techniques as well as learning how a business actually works. On the floor training is something you will pick up along the way. Attend a lot of free and paid seminars as your budget allows. Get further certified. When it's time go out on your own.

I totally agree...I am certified through ISSA and I know a lot more than the average person when it comes to training and nutrition. But that means nothing if you cannot sell. Personal Training is sales, that's all it is. I wanted to get out of straight commission sales because I was burnt out after 25 years of it. So I decided to be a personal trainer, little did I know I was jumping from one frying pan to the other:banghead:. Needless to say I did not stay in PT it was the same shit I was trying to get away from. If you stay in personal training talk to everyone you see, form relationships and sell yourself, there is money to be made in it if you can do that.

Trained my first client yesterday. Went good, got an idea where she was at an what she's been doing. Then did a full body workout and some abs. I'm charging her $200 a month and that includes diet as well. I was gonna do $250 but I told her id work with her the first month. I know her so it works out. So right now I'm thinking of charging $35 a session or $250 a month and that includes a diet plan. How does this look?

Trained my first client yesterday. Went good, got an idea where she was at an what she's been doing. Then did a full body workout and some abs. I'm charging her $200 a month and that includes diet as well. I was gonna do $250 but I told her id work with her the first month. I know her so it works out. So right now I'm thinking of charging $35 a session or $250 a month and that includes a diet plan. How does this look?

If that fee fits into your monthly bill budget, then stay with it. That's a reasonable rate my friend.

Take care of her. She is your first business card. They all are. You're going to be as good as the results you got your last client. No pressure :D Good luck brother. I hope you become one of the good ones.

I should note she is currently about 5'-5'2" 115 lbs. she wants to drop 10 lbs and tone up....most girls goal lol. I got her on two full body workouts a week with low carbs. Cardio is 4x a week. How does this look, any comments welcome!

Ive been a successful PT for almost 15yrs. LOTS of good things said in this thread, some not so good.
Your physique is your initial marketing tool. Wear something thats show it.

You must have charisma, and a passion for fitness, and be a people person.

This is initially sales, if you dont like sales its not for you. You close well,
find out someones reason for being in the gym and exploit how you can help. Tell them how you will transform their body by doing diet and resistance training to gain muscle/lose fat (explain to the girls how this is escentially TONING) -and how both raise your BMR and are the best thing for weight lose. Cardio is a less important but necessary factor. Tell them how much and how often, and let them do it after sessions.

What earned you your good physique? Basic weight training! It has built the best bodies in the world for 75yrs! Do that! All the dumbass new-fangled PT balls and bands and balance crap is for the trainer who has no real experience. Tell you clients how what you do is better! Get your required cert (ACE/NASM...) and go back to what you have learned in your years in the gym! Tell them with weight training you can get the best and QUICKEST possible results, and its true! Tell them you can do it in 2-3mo, while all the other sissy trainers will take 1-2yrs having people stand on 1 leg and curl a 5lb dumbell while they chat about the weather. Explain why you are better!

Do their diet, regardless of what all the for-crap certs tell you about 'refer to a liscenced dietician'. Be in full charge of their results! I know the liability issue...screw that.

Pay should be 55-65% of the $60-70hr you charge, selling monthly packages. Give a free session to as many members (especially new ones) as you can. Dont give more, you dont want to lose the value of your professional time.

Youre ability to provide results (and the clients economic situation) will determine how well you continue to keep clients.

Almost everyone will step up to the plate and perform! Bullcrap abut people wanting someone to talk to ... yes you can be a mentor/phycholist also, but train them hard after a short initial break in peroid. 97% will step up to the challenge!

Have a nice business card. Maybe a pic showing your physique on it.
You should at least occassionally do your own training where you work. Show yourself in action! Thats and the changes you make in your clients bodies will build your reputation and respect in the gym.

Stay at a big chain gym before you go independent. Either way, you will need 6-12mo to build a book of clients...so you will need some backup cash to help with bills.

Its about making money. But its good to have a passion for changing lives. That bring kharma...good things will come back to you, if you have kindness and care for others as a priority.

You may not get wealthy, but you can be comfortable. But its the best job in the world IMO, for a guy like me who loves fitness and non-competitive bodybuilding. Im grateful to have this career, Id do it free if I wont the Lottery. But Id own the damn gym too lol!

Im probably missing alot, but for now, hope some of that helps.

Make an account on instagram, twitter and facebook.

Seriously, if you build a good physique you can create a website linked off those social media sites and sell online training programs. I see it every day. You charge for a package, give deals, create plans with them much like hiring a trainer on here or another BBing site, but you are displaying your body as the billboard for your advertising and its free. I have a friend who sells online training programs and emails clients and sells nutritional supplements and does it all via instagram and twitter. Currently makes about 800/week dealing with solely online clients and has been doing it for about a year now.

Great advice! Looking the part is your best advertisement and will get you a lot of business. Have fun and good luck!

Last edited:
I should note she is currently about 5'-5'2" 115 lbs. she wants to drop 10 lbs and tone up....most girls goal lol. I got her on two full body workouts a week with low carbs. Cardio is 4x a week. How does this look, any comments welcome!

If we say that sounds terrible and you change her diet and routine, do we get the $250??? ha

I have owned gyms and health clubs in NY, NC and FL all with personal trainers.

I started out as a personal trainer. If you want any help just shoot me a PM.

It all depends on how much experience you have in the gym..
You nees to acquire people skills, learn how to listen to the needs of your clients.
I did personal training on the side yrs ago while maintaining my seasonal career. I would recommend starting in a professional gym to gain the needed in's and out's! At the same time you can also start posting ads and marketing you training one on one....
The reason being is that it takes quite some time to gain enough clientele to earn a living....
If you can get advanced in your training, pregnant women and gays are the number one customers. Sorry, but that is where your prime income will stim from....
Hope this helps in your decision making. And Do work son!!!
Also dont give diet advice, send them to the proper dietitian in the gym. As a matter of fact, you need to gain a good raport and he or she will probably qork hand and hand with you and send you clients. Scratch each others back

Last edited:
Right Renewlyf ,

They don't look like they go to a gym, an got no business being in the business.
They just want that paycheck an got a swelled head, an tell all the goofballs they hang out with ,an their relatives that they work there. They haven't lived on the earth long enough to know anything anyway, an got no size.
Then they start lying to chicks, an the chick is gonna hear the goober has a paycheck, an he'll probably spend money on her. She'll piss him off though, an she gets beat up. LOL Then he goes to jail or prison . And He'll be someone's ...... LOL

Huh? That reminds me of the that commercial with that man asking kids questions

I started about a month ago after my gym owner asked me to.. i give him 10%

I started with one person, 4 weeks later I have 10... How?

1) word of mouth - make an injury feel better and youll instantly be busy
2) Price yourself a little higher than anyone else around you - Most people see higher price as higher value

well i got a site up, craigslist ad, and facebook advertising too. thinking maybe some business cards next. i cant decide if i wanna try working for a gym in the meantime or not, i want ALL the money for me tho:D

btw thank you for all the advice, very helpful

Any recommendations for good books to have in the library? About to take my CPT test then CSCS hopefully by the end of the year. Only have the NSCA books and my own library of powerlifting books at the moment.

Starting strength is a good book for your own knowledge. I dunno about those tests.

update

well still in the process of finding a job/getting clients. had my first client, but after the first workout she put things on hold bc of financial issues:banghead:

she wants to start back up when she has the money tho, is what it is i guess. ive asked around at several gyms/applied so just going through the motions. johnjuan where you at brotha, you having any luck?

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
methyl m1ke
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws