over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Tips on Calves Growth/Training

I have had great results in the last year using two tricks I found here from Phil and Dante (if I remember right).

The first trick is to forget about the stretch, when you go for the stretch, you are just using the elasticity in your achilles tendon to do the work for the muscle.

The second trick is to do standing barbell calf raises from the floor, no elevation under the toes, I do them barefoot sometimes, and in shoes other times.

Besides those tricks, I go deep into the pain zone, do drop sets, giant sets, high rep days, low rep days, all the standard stuff.

Thanks Phil and Dante!

edit: One more great trick! Train the SHIT out of your tibialis anterior, it makes the calf wider from both the front and the back, and is the area most people have the most room for improvement in.
I took up standing BB calf raises from phil after reading his post. It works good for me. I do them after BB squats with whatever weight I squat with...I just rep it the fuck out.

How much weight do you use on these? I can't imagine being able to use much weight and balance while doing calf raises.

I squat 265 for 6 reps (3 sets) (i know im alittle guy hehe). I can do 2 sets after with 20 reps of the same weight. It torches my calves.

I squat 265 for 6 reps (3 sets) (i know im alittle guy hehe). I can do 2 sets after with 20 reps of the same weight. It torches my calves.

You guys use your squat weight??!! I squat 495 for 10, trying to balance that on a free bar would break both my ankles! How wide do you place your feet? I'll start at 135 and slowly go up. I've got tiny ankles.

try the smith for standing calf raises....

well it might be different for you your squat is like double mine!!! :D

Maybe start low and work up is best bet. I dont have a problem with it though its a very natural movement. I could probably do it with 315 (even though I only squat 265). I'm sure you'll be moving up fast with it quick.

i'll tell you this.......take it or leave it

but

my calves get more abuse than any other body part for me

i train them fucking fast and furious.....i'm almost in tears

to the point where people stare and laugh at me, shakin thier heads

then summer time rolls around......and i show up in shorts

and everyones jaws drop

:cool:

hopefully its cause they are huge and not small !!!!!!

just playing bro :)

i agree u must work any muslce hard to get it to grow. of course we all know calves are one of those body parts that needs more stimulation.

some people just seem to have the genetics for calf size and some dont, the ones that dont need to abuse them hard like tenny said.

That standing barbell calf raise is fucking awesome. I did it today for the first time and was only able to get up to 315lbs for 22 reps, but they swelled up and got a wicked pump! There are some seriously knowledgable guys on here!

My calves only seem to respond to super high reps.. After this thread though I am going to try Phil's tips...

Just wear these for a few years.

Last edited:
How much weight do you use on these? I can't imagine being able to use much weight and balance while doing calf raises.

I use around 300 pounds for the 8-10 rep range. This is under full control with a nice squeeze on contraction. Not much, relatively speaking, BUT the balance factor makes up for the lower weight I think. I mean how many of us use 200 pound dumbbells for bench? How many can bench 400 in a Smith though?

It just takes time to learn balance but once you do the weight used goes up. You know the deal. :cool:

the best thing ive learned for calf development.. is lots of extreme stretches in between sets. has helped mine a lot..

Not sure why you would try and balance a barbell loaded with 400=500 lbs on your back to do calf raises. This is just crazy in my opnion....very dangerous. This is why most gyms have a SMITH MACHINE. Use the Smith, load up the weight, concentrate on your calves and not balancing weight.

Why go free-standing? simple. It becomes easier with practice, just like anything else. It's highly functional in everyday life, sports, recreation, etc.

The amount of weight used is irrelevant. If you can handle it, under control, what's the problem?

Your auxiliary calf musculature will be more developed and stronger than if you passed on free-standing in favor of allowing the machine to balance you.

I mean it's no different than using a Smith for squats, bench, military, whatever every time you trained those body parts.

There's really nothing to be scared of. Start slow, you will get strong and confident over time.

I found that using the leg press worked really well. I liked the horizontal leg press the best on a machine. I had to use one leg at a time because the stack wasnt heavy enough, but man did it torch my calves. I had my calves up to about 19 1/2 inches too.

Phil's technique

Tried it out today and it blasted my calv's. Thanks, I'm going to make it a regular part of my workout.

followed the calf training tips yesterdaty and my calves are more sore than before, and i think that im gonna try it for the next few months adn see how the progress is

Try a 10x10x10x'3x's2 approach.

1st calf workout of the week
standing calf raise machine(back to back)
10 reps toes forward
10 reps toes outward
10 reps toes inward

3 sets (1 minute rest between sets)

2 times a week.

2nd calf workout of the week
seated leg press-heels off the platerepeat above workout.

when this becomes easy for you then go up in reps, but not enough that you can't complete equal amount of reps for the three exercises. try it for 2 months and see how how they start to look.

Last edited:
I did Phil's standing BB calf raises yesterday. Today I am limping! LOL I'm definately keeping them.

ANYONE HAVE THE CURE FOR HIGH INSERTIONS ON THE CALFS (AKA BLACK MANS CALFS)?

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member