over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Tips on Calves Growth/Training

Springbok

Registered
Hey guys

I am in off season atm..focusing on bringing up alot of lagging parts..

my calves are very non-responsive..

ive tried many forms of training but they are still alot smaller in comparison to my arms...

i was wondering what schemes you guys found successful for getting good calf growth? hitting it frequently 3 x per week? once a week? fast slow?

thanks

Frequent, fast, and high rep helps my chicken legs (its hereditary....really :D )

I also do standing raises on a 2x6 piece of wood just so I can get more stretch on the negative. And try to walk differently when no ones looking by using the calf more.

I can tell you the worst advice I have ever got on this thread was to never train them and let the systemic effect of heavy leg training do it. In one month my calves were almost a full inch smaller. Never again will I do this.

Luckily they came back rather quickly to there normal stubborn smallness.

I train them 2x's a week, once with my leg day..the other on my seperate arm day.
I train them very intense...lots of weight, lots of reps, full ROM....good stretch at the bottom...all the way up on the tips of the toes at the top...squeeze the hell out of it. When I start to fail with the full ROM I will then just work on the upper portion, just to get an even better pump out of them...after every working set I want them so pumped it hurts and I cant walk properly...If that doesnt happen I didnt pound them hard enough.
I will do lots of drop sets, rest pause, triple drops..whatever it takes. I like to do a lot deep stretching too when im finished. Hope it helps...my calves used to suck but after pounding them like this for awhile I can say they are one of my better body parts now.

Rather than try to give you some Muscle and Fitness routine I'll just shoot you a straight answer. Mine were always terrible. I've always trained them heavy and near 20 reps 2 times a week. They only started responding after a few bottles of Syntherol and in the last year IGF and MGF. They are actually a good bodypart now. I hate to be one of the guys to say the answer is in a bottle, but it was for me.

Unfortunately genetics can cause some trouble in this area for some. I have been lucky in that I have thick legs all the way down, no cankles lol. But, if you are struggling I would say 3x/week hit the calves, heavy and higher reps. like as much weight as you can do for 3-4 sets of 20-25 on seated calf raise for example. Leave a day for rest in between hitting them. Also, just when you are hitting failure, try to pulse out about 10 partials this can really break them down to allow max tissue rebuild.

Good luck bro!

i'll tell you this.......take it or leave it

but

my calves get more abuse than any other body part for me

i train them fucking fast and furious.....i'm almost in tears

to the point where people stare and laugh at me, shakin thier heads

then summer time rolls around......and i show up in shorts

and everyones jaws drop

:cool:

i'll tell you this.......take it or leave it

but

my calves get more abuse than any other body part for me

i train them fucking fast and furious.....i'm almost in tears

to the point where people stare and laugh at me, shakin thier heads

then summer time rolls around......and i show up in shorts

and everyones jaws drop

:cool:

GREAT POST!

I like what Tenny said...

After squats, leg press, etc, I hit my calves as heavy and hard as I can. My legs are usually quivering, tortured mounds of flesh by this time. I think training through the pain threshold really is where the breakdown/growth occurs. The body doesn't like to let you go there!

The time it takes for my training partner to do his set is my rest time. I do the seated calf machine for 6 sets and then superset with the standing calf machine on my last set. I load as many plates as the machine will hold and go until my body says to stop, then I go for a couple more reps.

I train them once a week and that works for me.

Genetics have definitely shorted me in the calve dept..I am going try all these methods mentioned..I have been using IGF/MGF in them and they have grown a little..still way behind though.Most stubborn Bodypart for some and others really don't even need to train them..I got high calves so the muscle is crappy looking even if they did get big..but I had had a pretty good vertical..I few years back I could still dunk a basketball at 6'0 with two hands.

I have had great results in the last year using two tricks I found here from Phil and Dante (if I remember right).

The first trick is to forget about the stretch, when you go for the stretch, you are just using the elasticity in your achilles tendon to do the work for the muscle.

The second trick is to do standing barbell calf raises from the floor, no elevation under the toes, I do them barefoot sometimes, and in shoes other times.

Besides those tricks, I go deep into the pain zone, do drop sets, giant sets, high rep days, low rep days, all the standard stuff.

Thanks Phil and Dante!

edit: One more great trick! Train the SHIT out of your tibialis anterior, it makes the calf wider from both the front and the back, and is the area most people have the most room for improvement in.

Last edited:
I have had great results in the last year using two tricks I found here from Phil and Dante (if I remember right).

The first trick is to forget about the stretch, when you go for the stretch, you are just using the elasticity in your achilles tendon to do the work for the muscle.

The second trick is to do standing barbell calf raises from the floor, no elevation under the toes, I do them barefoot sometimes, and in shoes other times.

Besides those tricks, I go deep into the pain zone, do drop sets, giant sets, high rep days, low rep days, all the standard stuff.

Thanks Phil and Dante!

edit: One more great trick! Train the SHIT out of your tibialis anterior, it makes the calf wider from both the front and the back, and is the area most people have the most room for improvement in.

Great ideas...I may try this!

I also vary my foot width from close to wide, and angle my toes in or out to feel a burn on the outer or inner more.

I do what Phil suggested and my calves are one of my best body parts. Calves can take much abuse and i train them up to 3-4 times per week. i am not sure why everyone feels the need to get the stretch....its unatural. Try without and you can use much more weight, muscle will also be under tension longer and it will hurt so good!

I agree with the no stretch approach. The best mass builder I've found is the free-standing barbell calf raise with no block, straight from the ground. I always try to squeeze at the top. It's like using dumbbells for the calf because of how much balance is involved.

Train them 3x a week first thing before your normal workout. Alternate sets and reps. You should see something. I think alot of us don't put much effort into training them once we see they can be difficult to grow.

Agree, AND...

Thanks Phil and Dante!

I do what Phil suggested and my calves are one of my best body parts. Calves can take much abuse and i train them up to 3-4 times per week. i am not sure why everyone feels the need to get the stretch....its unatural. Try without and you can use much more weight, muscle will also be under tension longer and it will hurt so good!

Been following Phils advice http://www.professionalmuscle.com/forums/professional-muscle-forum/38616-calv-training-tips.html and I have finally made some good progress in my calves.

I agree with the no stretch approach. The best mass builder I've found is the free-standing barbell calf raise with no block, straight from the ground. I always try to squeeze at the top. It's like using dumbbells for the calf because of how much balance is involved.

I do these on the Smith machine... AWESOME! Best calf growth yet...

Another thought... walk around your home on your tippy-toes/balls of your feet... watching TV, go to the bathroom- on your toes.... get up to make some food, walk to the kitchen on your toes...

calf r usally a fast twich(cant spell srry)muscle so at time it hard to respond,what i read was to do high rep,around 75 r 100 r untill u can do no more,thn shout break/under a minut.thn repeat it worked for me hope this help

How much weight do you use on these? I can't imagine being able to use much weight and balance while doing calf raises.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131