over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

To say something.... or to NOT say something

So today im at the gym, some 60 yr old dude, skinny glasses ect is doing some pulldown of some sort, i dont know wtf he was doing, bending the arms with some forearm shit
looked funny

I didnt say anything to him because I wasnt sure if I would sound like a dick for giving advice or anything or to look like mr know it all which I sure am not

would you all say something like hey, maybe try it this way( in an effort to not come across as mean ect) or do you just let him do his shit

I commend him for being there in the first place but
was curious if I did the right thing and didnt say anything
or if any of you correct total strangers at the gym if their form is totally fuked

in this situation, with an old guy like that, might be an idea to give him a gentle form tip - primarily in case he hurts himself.

Only if its a friend or if they ask

I could spend every day correcting idiots in the gym, but I am there for me.

Have a good laugh and let evolution take its course.

I could spend every day correcting idiots in the gym, but I am there for me.

Have a good laugh and let evolution take its course.

Lol, true that. I did at least take time one day to tell a couple of kids that they were facing the wrong way in the sloped squat rack (not a cage).

I truly see some messed up stuff at my gym DAILY! I have thought seriously about lending some peaceful advice to some people but I dont want to be know as "that guy". I did one time lend some advice about a year ago. An older gentleman was doing seated rows and asked a pretty younger girl (Who "looked" like she knew what she was doing) for some advice. So while doing tricep pressdowns right next to them I turned my music down to eve's drop. The advice was good except for one crucial part. She told him "lock your shoulders in place and only pull with your arms". At that point i had to jump in. I asked her "isn't this a back exercise?" to which her snotty reply was "uh... Yeah!". So I said "Why are you telling this gentleman to 'lock his shoulders and only pull with his arms? Wouldn't that be an arm exercise?" She didn't have an answer. So I told the man that if he were to lock his shoulders then he would not be fully incorporating his lats which was the whole idea. I told him to let his shoulders move forward (relax) when he let the weight down then to start his "pull" with pulling his shoulders back and finishing with the arms and squeezing the shoulder blades in the back. I had him try it both ways and then asked him which felt better. He said "your way". To this day anytime I see that girl at the gym she glares at me and probably talks shit about me to people when I leave. But oh well I learned my lesson. Don't give anyone advice unless they ask.... Even then, be weary.

Some people don't want you to tell them anything, they enjoy the process of discovery on their own. They want to "figure it out on their own." You can still give advice to these people, but you have to do it in an indirect way. Teaching someone something is about leadership, and leadership is complicated. First you have to motivate someone to WANT to learn. Naturally we assume they want to, but this isn't always the case.

It's such a mess I usually don't give people advice, unless I see something really dangerous, and even then, I have to like them to give them advice.

Well said. Usually giving people advice is all about making them think they came up with the answers on their own.

If someone asks me for advice I will help them out. Other than that I just keep to myself. I was using the leg press one day, in between sets I couldn't help but watch this skinny dude doing quarter squats with 315. He came over to talk to me. Asking me what I thought. I said I would cut the weight in half and go deep and get a full range of motion. A little later he came up to me for a spot and still had 315 on the bar. I snapped at him and said "I'm not spotting that, your going to get hurt, I'm not going to be spotting when you do."

well, lets rethink this situation and now imagine it was your father in the gym trying very hard to work out in a safe way and he was doing something that might be hurting himself over the course of time. Would you want an experienced trainer to say something to him?

I sure would.

That old man is somebody's father out there and if you could avoid him hurting himself then that might be worth saying something. Of course, many of you will lack the tact to say something that won't insult him. :rolleyes::D

My father is intelligent and would know how to do a movement properly before attempting it unsupervised.:D

Last edited:
that's a very good question, u don't want to be a dick but the helpful part of me wants to help them, but normally I don't. I have people ask me a lot though to give them advice, and I feel honored every time someone does that and then I go out of my way to help them in anyway I can when in the gym. body building has far to many arrogant assholes in it already, its good to help people when they ask for it.

Last edited:
My father is intelligent and would ask know how to do a movement properly before attempting it unsupervised.:D

oh awesome you come from a family that does not make mistakes :welcome:

oh awesome you come from a family that does not make mistakes :welcome:

I don't recall saying that. No welcome needed, I've been here a long time. :welcome:

Pretty same here as the majority, I usually don't tell people crap, just let them do their thing, while some might need the help or people are trying to be courteous, I just always get annoyed by the guy doing this kind of thing at the gym with other people.

here is what i do if the person doesnt look like a jerk.
i ask. just ask him if you can show him a better way o f doing things. never fails.
the thing is if you come and just give advice people get deffensive. if you ask and they are the one that gave permission they listen.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member