over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

To say something.... or to NOT say something

I keep my mouth shut in cases like these unless they hurt themselves and then I am happy to give a good ortho doctor referral if asked.

I dont give any advice if they dont ask... I seen some weird ass workouts or exercises over the years... I just say it to myself "WTF?" :banghead:

Im coming to the mind set of not giving advice at all anymore. When I first started going to the gym again last jan 2012 I met a friendly guy there about the same age as me. He was benching 225 for 6 reps at failure. I was only hitting it for 3.

As months went by we would say hey hows it goin? and chat for a minute often. I noticed that he was still using the same weight for the same reps and not progressing. I was moving up quickly.... using 315 for reps and then ultimately 425 for a single.

So one night he asks if he can bench with me. He hit 225 for 9 and then 275 for 2. Then he wanted to follow me on up in weight with 315 first. I asked him why he wanted to do that...... said it would be a little too heavy for him. He looked as though he wanted to listen and get some advice since I had progressed way past him and he hadn't moved much at all in over a year.

So I proceed to outline some trial and error scenarios in order for him to be able to find what his body responds to. Make a long story short.... he doesn't talk to me anymore and he is still stuck at the same poundages... doing the exact same thing every workout that gets him nowhere.

I was truly trying to help him. But I guess people don't want to learn. They would rather act proud and ignore their ignorance and lack of progress.

I never talk to anyone at the gym unless they ask me something.

I remember training in Texas in the late 90's at a gym called "the power shack" in Abilene TX. I was a teenager and was consumed with the bodybuilding lifestyle. There was no internet chat forum for me to ask people for help or advice. There were some very good bodybuilders in this gym that trained HARD! they had a bucket next to all the squat racks.....I haven't seen that since

Anyway, I always appreciated anytime any of those guys would give me any advice or training tips. my goal was to be them and I took their advice to heart.

Now on the other hand...when some jerk thats working out in blue jeans and a tap-out tshirt come's up to me when I'm hitting tricep cable presses and says "bro, you want to know how to really get your triceps to pop?"........well that difinately got under my skin lol

If they ask me how to do it right, I would...

Typically I get asked about why Im doing a exercise different (Since I don't always do full range movement), especially when I work out at smaller Gyms and there is younger people around.

:D

Last edited:
I've found that people are typically appreciate. I think of it as my good deed for three day

I never say anything unless they are about to kill themselves.

Girls have actually been MORE receptive while dudes are "too badass" and pretend like they already knew what I was saying.

I also had guys "give me tips" when I was 14 years old and starting out lifting and I felt like they were kinda douchey.

there's a guy at my gym who keeps using unsolicited advice as an excuse to chat up my fiancée. It's hilarious! Particularly so because he gives her such terrible advice.

I think he thinks because she's a girl it means she doesn't know what she's doing in the weights room, which is NOT the case. He's even asked her if she'd like to train with him a couple of times.

It sucks because she usually trains at a different time to me so I'm never there when it happens. I'm looking forward to the day I am actually there so I can come over to her when he's hitting on her and be like "Hey baby, who's your friend?"

Being honest I now just watch them and laugh :eek::D Too many times in the past I have tried to help and the guy doesn't want to know. But if someone is doing something really bad I will usually say something but in a friendly way cos I don't want to see them get hurt. Some are such idiots though maybe they deserve to get hurt to teach them how not to do it.

Young lads are abit different though (opposite to older guys) cos they tend to want to learn and be the best they can be. Many times I give them little tips and important things like not rounding their backs when deadlifting. Trial and error and learning on your own is a great thing but I would have liked someone more experienced to give me a few tips when I was 16-21 so for most it is a good thing.

Although the guys on the swiss ball balancing on one leg and doing lateral raises deserve to be hurt. Sometimes I wish my stare would make them fall but it never seems to work :eek::D

Lol. I think about this a lot. Because I see a guy at the gym who looks the same all the time. But he just uses way way too much weight. His pulldowns are all shoulders and biceps. His pushdowns are again all shoulders and yet i can always see him telling his buddy how he can't believe he's not growing. Lol. Oddly enough. I get approached by more women just to give a spot to. And they all use good form too.

I used to help guys, and most were appreciative, but their were a few who were not receptive so I just let bygons be bygons.

I bite my tongue and just cringe at times. Only if I know the person thru regular hellos or small talk conversation will I give somene any advise. I call it a "tip" and explain how they do something then my way (without using any weight) form there they apply it with weight being happy I said something. But like I said "only if" i conversate with someone more than a few times, otherwise i feel its unalled for and people usually dont like being corrected.

an old guy in my gym wheres a black T-shirt that says in yellow capitol letters TESTOSTERONE, he an ex special forces guy,really cool,dont say much he just comes in and does his thing and leaves. quite inspiring,because he's gotta be 70's. pretty strong guy at that

I used to offer advice to some guys only if I thought that continuing the movement would lead to injury. I'm 270 lbs pretty lean, so one would think an out of shape man would listen, but too many times I have been given some shit like "I know what I'm doing" or "I've been doing this for 20+ years" .. I just wanted to help.. free advice from a seasoned personal trainer is something I will always welcome.. especially if I am doing something that may result in injury. I love taking points from dudes bigger than me. That's how you learn.

Like most of you strength training is my passion. I have trained for 30 years and watching other people train in a commercial gym is a recipe for frustration. I try to not even watch if possible. I do try to be friendly and help people if they ask. I also compete in powerlifting and will sometimes offer advice on squats and Deadlifts if the person looks receptive.

The easiest way I find to interject or help someone is to make it appear they are helping you...simply ask what muscles their form or ROM is working, once they answer just say hmmm never really thought if that, this is what I do to hit them, then DROP their weight and do a quick set for them and tell them to try it, they will quickly realize your way, if that's even correct lol, is easier and safer for them.

Just be like their therapist.

Unless they are a danger to themselves or others, nod and do nothing.

I like to give construction criticism ...just because it's better to be honest than to suppress what you really want to express.
Besides your intentions are good.
But be prepared.... sometimes people do get defensive! Even when you are trying to be helpful.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
GFly
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131