over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

To tell or not to tell......

bigman1

Kilo Klub Member
Ok so for those who have kids even more sons, what do you suggest you say when your son who is early teens comes to you and asks, "Dad do you or have you ever taken Steroids?" They are learning about "DRUGS IN SPORTS" in school and we know how well the schools teach about that....:rolleyes:

I went and got on TRT(legit) partly for this very reason.Now I am just honost about my TREATMENT.No need to discuss the self medicating of the past.

Well, it's tough to think about, not having kids and all.. But I definitely wouldn't tell my son.. I'd say maybe I tried andro and some legal supps years ago from GNC, but decided that I though it was much better and more fulfilling to do it naturally, lol.. It just wouldn't be up my alley to tell my kid I had done illegal drugs - even tho we all kno about overhyped the media portrays them, it's just the principle I guess..

And I just saw the post above mine regarding the TRT - in that case I feel it's OK.. But I'd stress that it's different than steroids, and prescription hormones under the supervision of a Dr.

No kids here but I'd deny it...at first.

Hopefully when I do have children I'll still be eating a ton of food, training a lot, etc. So I can go "Look at what I do, now you do it" type of thing. Later on, maybe I'll tell him when he reaches his natural potential.

My dream is to have a son to play sports with, lift with, etc. What better lifting partner than your son?

to tell or not to tell

The schools are ramming the propaganda bullshit to them So for the most part I would have to say no. Wait until they are much older to discuss gear with them. there is so much to teach them with nutrition and form and such.

im quite a ways off having kids but due to the media and its portrail i would not admit to using until they are old enough to understand the truth.

Last edited:
I don't have kids of my own but I get this question a LOT.

Ok so for those who have kids even more sons, what do you suggest you say when your son who is early teens comes to you and asks, "Dad do you or have you ever taken Steroids?" They are learning about "DRUGS IN SPORTS" in school and we know how well the schools teach about that....:rolleyes:

I am a high school teacher, so it comes up. I personally have a huge discussion about it and involved everyone. We talk about female birth control and it's possible side effects. We talk about the "REAL" hazards as opposed to the hype. We discuss cosmetic surgery, the media, everything. Then I leave it up to them to make a decision. It's really cool actually.

When I am asked about my personal use [if the question is legitimate and not mean spirited attack or put-down ] I answer honestly. I DID have it prescribed in the past and here is what I experienced. I also tell them about people who have had problems and why they did.

Once they get a certain age the myths need to be dispelled. That's my opinion. :)

I would tell them the truth.
My son is seventeen.
If he ever wanted to know i would tell him.
Peace.

I am a high school teacher, so it comes up. I personally have a huge discussion about it and involved everyone. We talk about female birth control and it's possible side effects. We talk about the "REAL" hazards as opposed to the hype. We discuss cosmetic surgery, the media, everything. Then I leave it up to them to make a decision. It's really cool actually.

When I am asked about my personal use [if the question is legitimate and not mean spirited attack or put-down ] I answer honestly. I DID have it prescribed in the past and here is what I experienced. I also tell them about people who have had problems and why they did.

Once they get a certain age the myths need to be dispelled. That's my opinion. :)

thats probably the best way to do it...Being that your a high school teacher, im sure you get that alot during the A-Rod case, well hell probably almost everyday...Probably even asked by your fellow teachers to ???

chris

DON'T TELL.

Sometimes it's better to hide the truth in order to keep your loved ones safe...

Depends on thier age and the reality of all drug use. Personally, I would not talk about it, but if they asked me I would explain the the truths about all drugs. Debunk the myths and tell them that hard work is the key to everything, there is no such thing as magic. Be safe, be smart, and research. Again, it is something I would prolly not really discuss with them because that is something they do not need to know about if they are a kid anyways...become an adult and then we can talk about what he or she did in the past because they are at that maturity level to make choices and will have to own up to it as an individual at that point. But, below ages 18-21, I think just stray away from that topic. No need to go there at that age anyways, just my thoughts.

Chris, yep......The A-Rod thing comes up a lot.

thats probably the best way to do it...Being that your a high school teacher, im sure you get that alot during the A-Rod case, well hell probably almost everyday...Probably even asked by your fellow teachers to ???

chris

I've talked about it with a few teachers as well. In my own case, my personal use is fairly limited [ as is obvious by looking at my pathetic physique :eek: ] so I honestly give information.

Here are some examples:

Question: I heard it makes your hair fall out.

Answer: I suppose it speed the process in some guys who would probably lose their hair anyway. However, I have hair! Many of the guys I know..have hair! lol

Question: I hear it makes your package smaller.

Answer: It makes your testicles temporarily smaller, then when you stop taking them they get big again. Think about it you guys...would all those professional athletes take steroids if it made their penises small? Why do they have all those beautiful wives? Why does Madonna want to bone A-Rod if he's got a small penis? lol. [See we have real discussions...hey...it's a Biology class! lol]

Question: I heard it makes you go crazy, like the hulk. Did you ever "hulk out" and beat people up..have a rage?"

Answer: I have never had that happen. I was always happy because I was bigger and stronger than before. I think if you are a jerk in the first place and then you take drugs and become a bigger stronger jerk..that's really what happens. I also mention that some people might be more prone to moodiness. I ask the girls how they feel when their periods are coming and how if affects their thinking and behavior. I ask them if it's the same for all people, i.e. Is EVERY female a monster or similarly affected by PMS? I compare this to hormone use in the athlete.

Question: Should I take steroids? Would I get huge?!

Answer: Every teenager has plenty of hormones. We talk about walking around with a hard on all day and driving too fast, etc. I tell them every guy my age WISHES he had the hormones THEY have at 17. I tell them I have lifted for 20 years and sometimes "used" steroids and I am NOT huge and that it doesn't work like that. I say that's a choice you'll have to make when you are 24 years old and you have the chance at making millions of dollars playing professional baseball or football.

I don't advocate the use of drugs in any way whatsoever. Sort of like when you discuss marijuana use with kids. Just the facts. Not propaganda. I absolutely tell them what happens to people when they abuse drugs and what can happen.

I have never had one parental complaint or anything but positive remarks...except from one staff member who got his ass reamed out by an angry mother who came to my defense when the asshole made a stray comment about me.

Greg Valentino: This is the worst example because kids don't differentiate between that guy and normal athletes. I think he's done a lot to harm the image of "bodybuilders". Circus freak. :mad:

i have a 14 year old son who has taken an interest a bit in watching the wrestling on tv and there is a very nice weight room just down the hall from his bedroom. if he does a little snooping in my bathroom he'll find some things that he may question, whether he's already seen i don't know. To answer the original question, I will tell him the truth, he hasn't asked so I haven't volunteered. I am not going to be a liar and i sure as hell am not gonna be a hypocrite by saying how bad steroids are for someone's health when the manny ramirez stories come up....my integrity with my son is much more important than lying to him out of concern that he's be a steroid junky one day...

my oldest daughter is 13 (well, in a couple weeks) and she knows that I am on prescribed TRT. I think i'd take the path of avoiding admitting to anything else (its easy enough to do redirection), but be straightforward about real risks of using.

Great way to handle it bro!!

My step sons stay out of my business, one is 19 6'2" 135lbs and the other is 17 6' 140lbs - both graphic/webb designers, no interest in hitting the weights. I'm sure they know though...When they first met me I was 155lbs, I've been as high as 226lbs @ a little under 11% bf, and now I'm at 202lbs...They're smart kids and seeing my weight fluctuate over the years and the sides I've gone through during different cycles, they have to know. They don't ask though so there's no need for me to tell them...If they ever do ask, this is the way I will handle it.....

I would tell the the truth,"hell no I have never touched that evil stuff", naw I would tell them yes I have used it but not until I was in my mid 20's and I did a bunch of reseach before I decided to use it. I personally don't feel a teenager needs to use it anyways and would definetly not let them use it while under my roof at that age. I don't disagree with aas use one bit, hell I think every man should use a little for over all health in there later years anyway even if they aren't lifters.

I have a child and will tell her if she asks. I will not allow the lying media, and ignorant people turn me into a liar. (right is right,wrong is wrong) All my child knows is that she has gone to the gym everyday for as long as she can remember, so she knows I put in many years of hard work. And will know it takes hard work to accomplish anything worth having.

My son is almost 15. He's very small for age, just like I was. He is a superb athlete and plays travel baseball in one of the best leagues in the nation. He is also very anti steriod. H's never asked me if I use. I'm 48, and when we are at one of his games, he always comments on how good I look compared to the other dads(most of them are a good 10 years younger then me) I really dont know how he will react if i tell him that I "use". I will have no problem with him doing what i do as long as he has a few years of training under his belt (he's already started) and has reached his genetic potential. He already has colleges scouting him. They all say the same thing, he's a great ball player but he may be to small ( I graduated HS at 156 lbs, i'm 238 right now).

Last edited:
I def don't have a kid, but imo it depends on his age if hes old enough to have a full on conversation about AAS and take in and understand everything you say then i'd say tell him (maybe by 8th or 9th grade?) but if not say no and wait till hes older

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
MindMuscle88
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws