over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

To the elite competitors on this board

DOGGCRAPP

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Registered
I consider this board to be have some of the top amateur competitors on it among the various bbing message boards....and Ive always wondered why alot of you dont take advantage of something. I see alot of guys who compete in shows that really dont get them a great deal of publicity.

There are 2 shows out here in Cali that can really transform you to the front of the class quickly.

The Border States and the Excalibur.

You place high or take that show and all of a sudden you are a very well known name bodybuilder and in the hunt Nationally.

The Border States =
Rich Piana won this show
Deshawn Grimez won this show = now IFBB pro
Steve Namat won this show = now IFBB pro
Dusty Hanshaw won this show and is going to be a force at the national shows

The Excalibur =
Trey Brewer won this show and it catapulted him to what you see now
Curtis Bryant - IFBB Pro
Troy Tate
Rusty Jeffers - IFBB Pro
Kevin Reeves
Dave Hughes
all competed at the Excalibur (and some of these guys didnt even win their class above) and it has catupulted them forward by leaps and bounds.

Ive tried to urge some of my former trainees Homonuncleus, Big Dave Smith, Jason Wojo, Alberto Rubinaccio to come grab this show/s because of what it will do for them in the sport.

Dusty would be a real good guy to put up a thread on how to promote yourself in bodybuilding....you really have to pound doors, send emails, stay in touch with photographers, contact editors, tell them your available for photo shoots etc etc etc.....that opens up bigtime doors for you....it really does.

And if its between competing in your local state show or county show or winning or placing high in one of the above shows (where your pictures are going to be all over muscular development) there is no question in my book what would be more beneficial for you.

Well thats my thought for the day anyway

I noticed this as well, guys who do well in these shows get good exposure.

Do you have to be a US Citizen to enter either of these shows?

These shows are open to anyone. I do think that the most is to be gained by US Citizens because you have to be a Citizen to compete nationally.

I also will add that it is important to treat each show, photo shoot, and appearance as a business opportunity. Get peoples contact info and keep in contact this way you can line up shoots etc.. when you are ready. I have cell phone numbers for everyone I have ever worked with which makes it easy to get more exposure each time I am ready. I just pick up the phone chat for a bit and set some dates. Currently I am 21 weeks out from my next contest and already have three shoots set up with the major magazines just by staying in touch and letting the powers that be know when I will be in shape.

Dusty

I would imagine a nice product, a friendly personality, and knowing how to promote yourself well......I dont have experience inhis industry, but I can talk to anyone at anytime about almost any topic, and can promote what Im selling, which in this case you sort of selling yourself, your personality..why would someone want to sponsor you? or take pics of you?

I ask myself this in my career..why would someone want to buy from me?

In a big show I would think if you have that something, and can approach people, companys, photographers, then your half way there...hopefully:)

Good information thanks DC

Last edited:
I think your had a good point Dante. If I had the genetics some of the others do I would most def. be taking the fullest advantage as I could.

Even I do not not have it like some do, I am still very determine to do a show one day and come in with a unbelievable physquie. Standing at 5'7", 169 lbs, I have A LOT of growing to do.

The reason I want to reach this goal the most is because of the heart situations I went through a couple years ago and you just about never see guys who compete with a pacemaker. I think if I were to get to a big weight, compete, that this would provide great insight to others and would be a great example of how anything is possible if your set your mind to it. Reguardless off your health. I know that stepping on stage witha pacemaker is not the prettiest site but I think this sport is about YOU and only YOU. I want to come out feeling like I have done my best and feeling that I am a winner.
Now I just got to grow..lol

I would imagine a nice product, a friendly personality, and knowing how to promote yourself well......I dont have experience inhis industry, but I can talk to anyone at anytime about almost any topic, and can promote what Im selling, which in this case you sort of selling yourself, your personality..why would someone want to sponsor you? or take pics of you?

I ask myself this in my career..why would someone want to buy from me?

In a big show I would think if you have that something, and can approach people, companys, photographers, then your half way there...hopefully:)

Good information thanks DC

VERY well said, Marilyn. It is all about how you present yourself to others.

Jonny I could be wrong but I dont think Steve Namat was a US citizen at the time he won the Border States.

My first show was the 07 Border States. I was no where near Dusty's level but if I had been, there were some major networking opportunities there. I would go as far as saying all of John Lindsays shows out here in socal are great places to get noticed and really jumpstart a career.

Does the thread relate to the email I sent you?

I'm aiming for the Border States.

What about the Cal or the Tour of Champions...Dont you think those shows are up on the top of the list to...??? Jay Culter (TOC) Flex Wheeler, Newman, Cormier, all Cali champs...and now the Cal is open to all of the U.S

I don't think too many SoCal shows that Jon Lindsay promotes doesn't produce some top people. Let us not forget The LA Championships were Daryl Gee won last year and now is a Pro. Dante, good shows to compete in. I am looking to do one of them and hopefullly come out a 50 class winner.

What about the Cal or the Tour of Champions...Dont you think those shows are up on the top of the list to...??? Jay Culter (TOC) Flex Wheeler, Newman, Cormier, all Cali champs...and now the Cal is open to all of the U.S

The Cal seems to be watered down now for some reason...doesnt seem to bring alot of notoriety.....the tournament of champions is definitely up there no doubt yes

I consider this board to be have some of the top amateur competitors on it among the various bbing message boards....and Ive always wondered why alot of you dont take advantage of something. I see alot of guys who compete in shows that really dont get them a great deal of publicity.

There are 2 shows out here in Cali that can really transform you to the front of the class quickly.

The Border States and the Excalibur.

You place high or take that show and all of a sudden you are a very well known name bodybuilder and in the hunt Nationally.

The Border States =
Rich Piana won this show
Deshawn Grimez won this show = now IFBB pro
Steve Namat won this show = now IFBB pro
Dusty Hanshaw won this show and is going to be a force at the national shows

The Excalibur =
Trey Brewer won this show and it catapulted him to what you see now
Curtis Bryant - IFBB Pro
Troy Tate
Rusty Jeffers - IFBB Pro
Kevin Reeves
Dave Hughes
all competed at the Excalibur (and some of these guys didnt even win their class above) and it has catupulted them forward by leaps and bounds.

Ive tried to urge some of my former trainees Homonuncleus, Big Dave Smith, Jason Wojo, Alberto Rubinaccio to come grab this show/s because of what it will do for them in the sport.

Dusty would be a real good guy to put up a thread on how to promote yourself in bodybuilding....you really have to pound doors, send emails, stay in touch with photographers, contact editors, tell them your available for photo shoots etc etc etc.....that opens up bigtime doors for you....it really does.

And if its between competing in your local state show or county show or winning or placing high in one of the above shows (where your pictures are going to be all over muscular development) there is no question in my book what would be more beneficial for you.

Well thats my thought for the day anyway

Awesome post DC, hopefully this helps or lights some fires under some of our top non-pro competitors.

The Cal seems to be watered down now for some reason...doesnt seem to bring alot of notoriety.....the tournament of champions is definitely up there no doubt yes

I don't know what happened to the Cal. It used to have a lot of prestige along with the L.A. The Excalibur used to be just another show until around 4 years ago. Now its the show to be in.

With the help of RxMuscle and MD, certain shows really get hyped up while others get ignored. That, and a lot of the shows in the midwest or far from airports/transportation aren't exactly a cheap thing to bring a crew to cover. Getting to parts of Cali, NY, big cities are a flight and a cab.

I'm definitely sticking to these shows because I went to the Indianapolis this past year and competed the year before... and I don't even remember who won the overall... and there are no pictures online by anybody. Your wife and friends are your photographers (with terrible pictures).

I'd like to hit the Border States then come back to the Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh is a sick show because the heads of the NPC are all there. For a place with no expo other than the front walk in area, they always get the top 5-10 bodybuilders in the world to guest pose with various amateurs. It's quite a memorable experience.

well the arnold amature is getting bigger and bigger and the press for that show is getting pretty big. the downside is you better be one bad mofo bodybuilder to win your class and get that press coverage....LOL

well the arnold amature is getting bigger and bigger and the press for that show is getting pretty big. the downside is you better be one bad mofo bodybuilder to win your class and get that press coverage....LOL

It should be titled...

Arnold Amateur "IFBB World Championships preview"

or

Arnold Amateur "Where pro level competitors from other countries who constantly deny pro cards and remain amateurs beat up on the US on their home soil"

Roelly is a pro now, right?

They really need to force some of these guys to take their pro cards. I understand they get funded by their countries as amateurs... but after a while, it becomes silly.

out of curiosity how many IFBB pros are there?

just some FYI:

DUSTY is a great business man...I would listen to every word he has to say about marketing yourself.

Remember this is a business, and you are marketing your body.

EXPOSURE EXPOSURE EXPOSURE

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Itisisaysme510