over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Today's Gym Experience

Twatta

Registered
I live in a small town, Hickville, Mississippi, so the gym I go to is really small.

Today I walk in to do legs. I notice there is this guy in the rack, I'm going to workout next to him. He has a skull cap on, sweat shirt, Knee Wraps, Gloves, head phones blaring, workout belt and work boots. He has about three shirts on under the sweatshirt. Not real big, but you can tell he works out.

I on the other hand, no wraps, no gloves, no belt. Just t-shirt, shorts, tennis shoes. No headphones, no hat. Don't look like anything, just trying to look like I work out, when I have my clothes off.

I hear him grunting, and screaming while he is lifting. Grunting to his music.

I do a few warm ups, then I'm ready to go right into my 405 squat. I look over at him, he has two plates on each side of his bar. He's done with his set, then sits down to watch me. I bang out 8 good reps, rack the bar. It feels good, so I do my next set with same amount, 8 good reps again. I finish my last set. Then I have to unload the whole bar, so I can set up to do my Stiff leg deads.

He walks over, starts talking about how he got kicked out his last gym for grunting, and dropping weights. He says "I'm trying to be a Professional bodybuilder, you know?" I say, Yeah OK.

He ask's if he can work in with me, cause he needs to do deads too. I say sure. We do a couple warm up sets, then I put 365 on the bar. Bang out a real good set. He unloads the bar to do a set of 225. I don't say anything, figuring he is still warming up. I do 385. then I finish with one more set.

His highest set on deads is 225, he was squatting 225.

I didn't have the heart to tell him, that you don't have to look the look, you just have to get to the gym and bust your ass.

I really don't have a conclusion to the story, but I really wanted to tell it.!

I live in a small town, Hickville, Mississippi, so the gym I go to is really small.

Today I walk in to do legs. I notice there is this guy in the rack, I'm going to workout next to him. He has a skull cap on, sweat shirt, Knee Wraps, Gloves, head phones blaring, workout belt and work boots. He has about three shirts on under the sweatshirt. Not real big, but you can tell he works out.

I on the other hand, no wraps, no gloves, no belt. Just t-shirt, shorts, tennis shoes. No headphones, no hat. Don't look like anything, just trying to look like I work out, when I have my clothes off.

I do a few warm ups, then I'm ready to go right into my 405 squat. I look over at him, he has two plates on each side of his bar. He's done with his set, then sits down to watch me. I bang out 8 good reps, rack the bar. It feels good, so I do my next set with same amount, 8 good reps again. I finish my last set. Then I have to unload the whole bar, so I can set up to do my Stiff leg deads.

He walks over, starts talking about how he got kicked out his last gym for grunting, and dropping weights. He says "I'm trying to be a Professional bodybuilder, you know?" I say, Yeah OK.

He ask's if he can work in with me, cause he needs to do deads too. I say sure. We do a couple warm up sets, then I put 365 on the bar. Bang out a real good set. He unloads the bar to do a set of 225. I don't say anything, figuring he is still warming up. I do 385. then I finish with one more set.

I didn't have the heart to tell him, that you don't have to look the look, you just have to get to the gym and bust your ass.

he was probably wearing weighted clothes so he didn't have to put as much weight on the bar...

Yeah

I'm sorry, I guess I shouldn't judge right off the back.

I'm not real approachable in the gym. I stick to myself, don't talk to anyone, so it takes a real character to actually start a conversation with me, and to ask to work with me. Especially looking like a clown.

Well... I am just happy to see the weight you where working out with... IMO my legs are my weakest feature... I try to work them the hardest to get them the strongest... I typically finish DL @ ~370 so now I don't feel so weak in my legs... I would like to finish around 400 but @ 340 + I begin to feel light headed after the sets and would prefer not to pass out after a good set, if you know what I mean... Any advice to offer?

Well... I am just happy to see the weight you where working out with... IMO my legs are my weakest feature... I try to work them the hardest to get them the strongest... I typically finish DL @ ~370 so now I don't feel so weak in my legs... I would like to finish around 400 but @ 340 + I begin to feel light headed after the sets and would prefer not to pass out after a good set, if you know what I mean... Any advice to offer?

stagger rep ranges each workout, today may be 340 for 6 is your heaviest set, then next tim maybe heaviest is 275, staying at paralell, with a verry slow negative maybe 3-4 sec for higher reps. then each week just 5 lbs added to that bar staying in the chosen rep range. give it a shot...might help.

well

I'm not claiming to be strong. I only weight 190. I'm dieting. I'm not making excusses, I just never did lift heavy, alway high volumn. SO over the last 2 months I'm doing much lower volumn, and just trying to beat last workout with either more reps, or more weight.

I haven't gotten light headed yet, but it may because I have plenty of carbs left in my diet?

stagger rep ranges each workout, today may be 340 for 6 is your heaviest set, then next tim maybe heaviest is 275, staying at paralell, with a verry slow negative maybe 3-4 sec for higher reps. then each week just 5 lbs added to that bar staying in the chosen rep range. give it a shot...might help.

Sweet... thanks bro... gonna try it out...

I have a t-shirt that says it all...

"Everyone wants to be a bodybuilder but no one wants to lift no heavy ass weight!"
One of my favorite gym shirts and I got it signed at a show by Ronnie Coleman and Bob Chicarello.

don't be so critical...

I'm not claiming to be strong. I only weight 190. I'm dieting. I'm not making excusses, I just never did lift heavy, alway high volumn. SO over the last 2 months I'm doing much lower volumn, and just trying to beat last workout with either more reps, or more weight.

I haven't gotten light headed yet, but it may because I have plenty of carbs left in my diet?

190#... 405x8 squat- VERY respectable :)

WOW

Well Thanks Myo. That makes me feel much better.

Since working with Phil, I'm lifting 100 lbs more on some lifts definetly atleast 50 more on most lifts.

I use to do laterals with 40's TOPS, now I'm doing 80's, on a leaning lateral raise.

I'm also, very near Natural.

I've personally had to limit around that weight once when I was working off a back injury.

Although MS is a real strange place, so who knows.

I agree with u, however at least he is there doing legs and hitting it. Can't tell u how many guys at my gym never train legs.

legs

i AGREE. A good friend of mine visited my gym a couple weeks ago. My wife was there doing squats. He said "MAN YOU HAVE YOUR WIFE DOING SQUATS? AWESOME! MOST OF THESE PUSSY'S IN THE GYM NEVER EVEN DONE A SQUAT BEFORE!"

I had to laugh, but I think he's right. The squat rack at my gym is the least used piece of equipment and its a real small gym.

Damn 365 for stiff leg deads. My back would be KILLIN me lol.

I did squats today too. Not as much weight but had a good day. 30 rep widowmaker set rest-pause style with 315. It's hard to get up and down right now to say the least lol

That's great...

i AGREE. A good friend of mine visited my gym a couple weeks ago. My wife was there doing squats. He said "MAN YOU HAVE YOUR WIFE DOING SQUATS? AWESOME! MOST OF THESE PUSSY'S IN THE GYM NEVER EVEN DONE A SQUAT BEFORE!"

I had to laugh, but I think he's right. The squat rack at my gym is the least used piece of equipment and its a real small gym.

hahaha, same here... our gym has a power-rack and then two "step-out" racks. My wife grabs one and I grab the other (I'm 6'1 and she's 5'1- too much work to switch bars up and down on one rack :))... she does a set while I encourage her, then I do mine with her pushing down for forced negatives... then switch to SLDL's, it's great... good for you guys

I'm kinda confused here. Are you making fun of this guy for not using huge weight? He even said he's trying to be a "Bodybuilder"... not a.. "Powerlifter"
What does the weight he's using have anything to do with his size, leaness, shape, separation, symmetry?
BTW: There are tons of guys, mostly toolbags, that use much more weight than myself and my partner. But we look like Bodybuilders and dwarf all of them. Most of them look like they've never touched a weight. Crazy how we are the largest men in the gym but don't always use extreme weight like everyone else.

I'm kinda confused here. Are you making fun of this guy for not using huge weight? He even said he's trying to be a "Bodybuilder"... not a.. "Powerlifter"
What does the weight he's using have anything to do with his size, leaness, shape, separation, symmetry?
BTW: There are tons of guys, mostly toolbags, that use much more weight than myself and my partner. But we look like Bodybuilders and dwarf all of them. Most of them look like they've never touched a weight. Crazy how we are the largest men in the gym but don't always use extreme weight like everyone else.

For most people including myself, weight = growth. now there are people who dont require this or induce progressive overload by other means. But lets say you want to get larger as most of us do. now being OCD and impatient as a lot of us are whats the fastest way to do this. Also whats the most efficent way? Is it to induce this overload wiht pre exhausting? 20+ sets with moderate weight per bodypart? I dont believe it is. IMO the right combination of volume and progressive weight is the key. if you can train progressively heavier, safely, and with the right frequency that combination will lead to the best gains. I didnt read every post throughly in this thread but i didnt see anyone making fun of him. If they were thats immature and uncalled for. but in my experience the biggest weights built the biggest guys. Im not trying to be a dick here or argue, just voicing my opinion for discussion.

i see your point...
but grunting and carrying on about a 225lb squat is silly...

If you think the weight you use has nothing to do with size then you will be in disagreement with quite a few of us. Cant imagine having 30inch legs and never going over 225 but I could be wrong.

the point

of the story was not really making fun of his weights, although I do think you have to lift progressively heavier to grow.

The point was about how he was TRYING to look the part, rather than Be the part. Wearing a Batman Costume, doesn't make you batman. If he really wants to be PRO bodybuilder, he doesn't have to dress like the guys in the mag.

Knee straps, gloves, knitted hat, middle of the summer, etc etc. I really don't like making fun of people, but since he approached me, and held a conversation with me, about that, I had to.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear