over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Tom Platz - Why your max doesn't matter

1fst400

Verified Customer
Registered
Verified Customer
Cool vid of Platz cranking out high reps with heavy weight! Cool to see Kaz and Lex in there with him.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6H-xs0fPyM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6H-xs0fPyM[/ame]

Cool vid of Platz cranking out high reps with heavy weight! Cool to see Kaz and Lex in there with him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6H-xs0fPyM

I can do 25 with 405 but 525 for 23 reps is on another level. I don't even think this was his best either. He literally went mentally crazy in the gym. His passion for lifting weights even at his age inspires me

i noticed he wrapped very high up on his leg like his groin area...why would this be beneficial?

Guessing maybe an old injury? scar tissue? I see a lot of guys use wraps on their elbows and knees because they think it makes them stronger. I think they think it looks cool or its going to add something. In reality, its just meant to support weak spots for whatever reason you have them.

I had heard at one time he could squat 225lbs for 10 minutes straight!:eek:

That's a fucking widowmaker!!!

Platz is one of those guys I feel all iron heads have a respect for... his passion and intensity are the epitome of what bodybuilding and training are

You're looking at this wrong man. You do realize the weight hes using on those high rep sets, right?!

So his max is just THAT much stronger than everyone else's.

High volume sets, low volume sets, max rep sets; they ALL have a place within a bodybuilders arsenal.

You're looking at this wrong man. You do realize the weight hes using on those high rep sets, right?!

So his max is just THAT much stronger than everyone else's.

High volume sets, low volume sets, max rep sets; they ALL have a place within a bodybuilders arsenal.

Based on the responses to this video - I am right. Max does not matter. Sure his max is higher but so what? that's the point. Quadzilla is not known for max or powerlifting. He is best known for development, insane intensity, and he is really good guy. As for your question "You do realize the weight hes using on those high rep sets, right?!" - Yeah, 525lbs. I thought you saw that on the video. :banghead:

Your point is well taken that all rep ranges are needed, but c'mon man you must know that heavy weight with high reps is what legs respond to the best? right? Not sure I learned anything from your post.

Guessing maybe an old injury? scar tissue? I see a lot of guys use wraps on their elbows and knees because they think it makes them stronger. I think they think it looks cool or its going to add something. In reality, its just meant to support weak spots for whatever reason you have them.

Respectfully disagree. Platz is known for his "rituals" on leg day. Wearing a certain type of shoe, wearing pants or high tube socks to make himself feel shorter, stomping and getting into a rhythm before getting under the bar are just a few. I think it had to do with the aspect of feeling the tightness of the wrap when going down to feel himself go parallel to concentrate more on getting reps than having to concentrate on going low enough or maybe it just made him feel more sturdy. Either way I'm convinced knowing him it was ritualistic

Based on the responses to this video - I am right. Max does not matter. Sure his max is higher but so what? that's the point. Quadzilla is not known for max or powerlifting. He is best known for development, insane intensity, and he is really good guy. As for your question "You do realize the weight hes using on those high rep sets, right?!" - Yeah, 525lbs. I thought you saw that on the video. :banghead:

Your point is well taken that all rep ranges are needed, but c'mon man you must know that heavy weight with high reps is what legs respond to the best? right? Not sure I learned anything from your post.

Yayyy a pisssing match!

You may not have learned anything from my post, but I didnt learn a thing from your thread! So there! A thread is a greater entity than a post so that means the unlearned levels are higher with you than with me! :banghead:

Dude...

This comes down to the most basic concepts of muscle building 101. There are two muscle fibers, type 1 (slow) and type two (fast). As everyone should already know, type 1 would be best perceived as running a marathon (steady movements for extended periods of time) and of course type two is a sprint (all out explosiveness yet fatigue at a much higher rate). In the case of building muscle in your legs, it seems pretty obvious to me that low rep sets or maxes with more weight and more all out explosiveness is going to engage the type 2 more effectively than one 10 minute long squat set with 100 reps.

Am I saying that the higher rep sets don't engage type 2 fibers at all? No, not at all. But as far as what is going to be the most effective -- a single rep or 2 or 3 as a max is going to engage type 2 fibers more effectively which in the end will build bigger legs than your theory "max reps dont matter."

It's all the same damn thing. Its called strength. 1 rep, or 100, if you want muscular legs you have to increase the weight or increase the reps. The more reps you can do with a certain weight correlates to your overall max. Funny thing is, I NEVER max out on squats, I think the risk of injury is not worth the reward but guaranteed if I focused on maxing out on a regular basis along with everything else I do for legs, not only would I be a lot stronger but I would have more overall muscle in my legs.

Changing your theory to "high volume sets build more muscle mass than low volume sets" then yes you would be correct. But to say your max doesnt matter at all is just plain untrue.

Its obvious I havent been on the boards lately when I'm taking the time to write shit like this out...

And I didnt even factor in the whole genetics thing.

Genetics are everything.

Its entirely possible for the following scenario to take place. A powerlifter who has never been introduced to bodybuilding trains to be the strongest one rep squater in the world. After years of training with the sole purpose of maxing out, he ends up the best of the best. Then he gets the stupid and crazy idea that he wants to do a bodybuilding show. He cuts down to low bf percentage and his legs end up MORE developed than Platz.

Genetics, genetics, genetics.

Its what makes bodybuilding so awesome, there are no concrete staple truths except the ones you find out for yourself through consistency and constantly be willing to put your body through trial and error stages to learn what works best for you.

Why does for example MountainDogg Training work so effectively for so many people? Because its a combination of ALL training variables and styles.

Respectfully disagree. Platz is known for his "rituals" on leg day. Wearing a certain type of shoe, wearing pants or high tube socks to make himself feel shorter, stomping and getting into a rhythm before getting under the bar are just a few. I think it had to do with the aspect of feeling the tightness of the wrap when going down to feel himself go parallel to concentrate more on getting reps than having to concentrate on going low enough or maybe it just made him feel more sturdy. Either way I'm convinced knowing him it was ritualistic

Cool. I'd love to see or read an interview that talks about that wrap. Interesting...

Yayyy a pisssing match!

You may not have learned anything from my post, but I didnt learn a thing from your thread! So there! A thread is a greater entity than a post so that means the unlearned levels are higher with you than with me! :banghead:

Dude...

This comes down to the most basic concepts of muscle building 101. There are two muscle fibers, type 1 (slow) and type two (fast). As everyone should already know, type 1 would be best perceived as running a marathon (steady movements for extended periods of time) and of course type two is a sprint (all out explosiveness yet fatigue at a much higher rate). In the case of building muscle in your legs, it seems pretty obvious to me that low rep sets or maxes with more weight and more all out explosiveness is going to engage the type 2 more effectively than one 10 minute long squat set with 100 reps.

Am I saying that the higher rep sets don't engage type 2 fibers at all? No, not at all. But as far as what is going to be the most effective -- a single rep or 2 or 3 as a max is going to engage type 2 fibers more effectively which in the end will build bigger legs than your theory "max reps dont matter."

It's all the same damn thing. Its called strength. 1 rep, or 100, if you want muscular legs you have to increase the weight or increase the reps. The more reps you can do with a certain weight correlates to your overall max. Funny thing is, I NEVER max out on squats, I think the risk of injury is not worth the reward but guaranteed if I focused on maxing out on a regular basis along with everything else I do for legs, not only would I be a lot stronger but I would have more overall muscle in my legs.

Changing your theory to "high volume sets build more muscle mass than low volume sets" then yes you would be correct. But to say your max doesnt matter at all is just plain untrue.

Its obvious I havent been on the boards lately when I'm taking the time to write shit like this out...

You seem upset Marsha, have a Snickers.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqbomTIWCZ8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqbomTIWCZ8[/ame]

Cool. I'd love to see or read an interview that talks about that wrap. Interesting...

I remember reading he would always eat a tub of ice cream night before legs also :D

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
MindMuscle88
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws