over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Tom Prince on Kidney Issues and 90s Bodybuilding

USMuscle9403

Registered
Haven't even watched yet, but it should be interesting. I remember when Prince underwent all this, back on Chad's board where Tom posted often. Dude went from being a serious mass guy to what looked like a 16 year old skinny kid that desperately NEEDED to see the inside of a weight room. Very sad.

I watched it earlier. It’s shocking how bad he still looks. He even sounds and talks different. Only showed himself from the neck up but you can get a sense how frail he still seems.
It’s about what you expect, he takes no responsibility for what happens to him and never mentions rec drugs which he was known to abuse.
He wasn’t the nicest guy and was so condescending when he was competing and posting on the boards. But it’s hard see him turn out like this.

I watched it earlier. It’s shocking how bad he still looks. He even sounds and talks different. Only showed himself from the neck up but you can get a sense how frail he still seems.
It’s about what you expect, he takes no responsibility for what happens to him and never mentions rec drugs which he was known to abuse.
He wasn’t the nicest guy and was so condescending when he was competing and posting on the boards. But it’s hard see him turn out like this.

I agree, he could be kind of a dick lol Was nice towards me but he would rip into people and just be a condescending asshole, in general. He admitted, at the time, that he was abusing Nubain. Has he changed his tune?

He seems toi have made the best of a rough situation. He saw past his BBing career, put together a successful business and raised a great family.

He seems toi have made the best of a rough situation. He saw past his BBing career, put together a successful business and raised a great family.

Yea, like I said, he could be a dick, but I'm really happy he made the best of a bad situation. He obviously trained for years, took fuck knows how many health risks and made out OK*. That's a win, in my book. I've yet to listen to the interview. Just kinda glad that he's alive and reasonably well.

* Still alive

Haven't even watched yet, but it should be interesting. I remember when Prince underwent all this, back on Chad's board where Tom posted often. Dude went from being a serious mass guy to what looked like a 16 year old skinny kid that desperately NEEDED to see the inside of a weight room. Very sad.

There is a part 1 to this as well. It is a good interview.

I saw Tom prince in a gym in Sacramento in 94-95. Fucking huge mo fo. Strong as hell too. I Was training back he was training delts. I talked w him briefly. He seemed ok to me.

His shoulders are completely wrecked i believe, so his gym time might be very very limited. Also sounds like he's at a point in his life where doesn't give a shit about how his physique looks. He had to have been one of the strongest pros at the time. His hamstrings were insane and his side triceps pose was excellent.

Kidney problems = low protein diet and trying not to break down too much tissue working out. He was done with the lifestyle as soon as he knew how sick he was/is. Its an interesting story and good interview. He does shy away from talking about what we all want to hear; crazy lifestyle and drugs. He's older now and a different person. I think all of us older dudes here can relate to some degree.

No matter how he was back then, it's good to see that he's happy with a great wife, family and thriving business. It would be sad to see him miserable and bitter. He seems like a good guy.

When I was 15-16, Tom was about 20-21 and trained at the same gym I did. It's all relative because I was a skinny kid just starting out but he was very impressive even then. I remember him in one of those NPC flannels with the cut off sleeves pumping away on seated military with 275.

Another guy that was same age as Tom that trained there told me Tom used to be a swimmer in high school and I was like "WTF, the guy didn't look like any swimmers I knew."

He seems to be hanging in there health-wise considering. It was pretty well known that he abused NSAIDs pretty heavily throughout his career. Clearly a lot of damage was done. I've heard rumors of the Nubain use but not sure on that but he has been open about his NSAID use.

I've heard rumors of the Nubain use but not sure on that but he has been open about his NSAID use.

A member here said he shot cocaine with Tom. So it was more than just Nubain. But whatever.

I remember even when he knew his kidneys were wrecked he said there was absolutely no way he could drop below 230lbs even with low protein - if he even ate 100 grams with no anabolics he would stay above that. Not long after that people who saw him live said he looked about 180lbs.

I know he was fairly open about taking 16+ advil a day at one point and in this interview he mentions taking that along with quite a few celebrex which is an NSAID and terrible for the kidneys if you are abusing it. He hasn't been super direct but over the last 20 years he has alluded to needing medication just to train due to severe shoulder pain, etc.

Edit: That isn't me saying "it's just the nsaid guys!". That's me saying this sport is damn sure dangerous enough and when people start abusing other drugs the entire issue gets compounded. I hadn't heard much about the rec drugs so hate to speculate but sounds like he has discussed that as well which would compound the situation even more.

He also stated that he never did any blood work until things started to go sideways. If he wasn't checking that, then I doubt he was checking his BP. He stated in the video that he was 305lbs at 5'8". A lot of variables at play with him. I wouldn't blame it on any one thing, rather cumulative trauma. Add in FSGS and it's a recipe for disaster!

Last edited:
From what a lot of you are saying it seems like an insult to injury situation. Kind of amazes me people think they can use things we use for muscle growth and throw a bunch of other questionable shit on top of it and end up ok. I don't TOUCH pain killers or NSAIDS of ANY type.
I only took ONE dose of pain killer after ripping my pec off the bone. Suck it up, pain is life.

I know he was fairly open about taking 16+ advil a day at one point and in this interview he mentions taking that along with quite a few celebrex which is an NSAID and terrible for the kidneys if you are abusing it. He hasn't been super direct but over the last 20 years he has alluded to needing medication just to train due to severe shoulder pain, etc.

Edit: That isn't me saying "it's just the nsaid guys!". That's me saying this sport is damn sure dangerous enough and when people start abusing other drugs the entire issue gets compounded. I hadn't heard much about the rec drugs so hate to speculate but sounds like he has discussed that as well which would compound the situation even more.

I'm suspicious about the NSAID doses. Tom isn't stupid, I don't even think it will likely do anything positive to OD them like that. And why take so many NSAIDs if you are on narcotics like Nubain or Oxy? Unless there's some combo pills with with narcs/NSAIDs - then I could see such reckless ODing, just to get to the narc.
I know some idiots who have taken whole tubes of APAP/codeine effervescent tabs just to get a codeine high. What a miserable way to go if the liver shuts down.

I don't remember if Tom said he had genetic FSGS, but if he did, from what I can tell, there's a secondary form of it connected to anabolic use, not just genetics. All these bodybuilders with FSGS, yeah I think it's probably not just poor luck.

From what a lot of you are saying it seems like an insult to injury situation. Kind of amazes me people think they can use things we use for muscle growth and throw a bunch of other questionable shit on top of it and end up ok. I don't TOUCH pain killers or NSAIDS of ANY type.
I only took ONE dose of pain killer after ripping my pec off the bone. Suck it up, pain is life.

I agree. NSAIDs are said to hinder training adaptations too. But at the same time, do you know how common NSAID use is in say track & field and other athletics? Pretty much everyone relies heavily on these, at least periodically, all prescribed by team doctors. One high jumper said he was on them his whole career as well as decades after. My powerlifter friend has been on daily diklofenac for 12 years straight. His doc knows his whole story but has no problem filling his script again and again. I have also seen mentions of long term painkiller use actually increasing pain, something to do with becoming hypersensitive to pain or the receptors upregulating or whatever.

It's very hard to admit to ourselves when a serious health issue is self inflicted.

No matter how he was back then, it's good to see that he's happy with a great wife, family and thriving business. It would be sad to see him miserable and bitter. He seems like a good guy.

Agreed. People who make mistakes still deserve sympathy.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131