over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Torn bicep tendon

tourniquet

Newbies
Hi,

I'm new here and native language isn't english but hope you can give me some decent advices. I would be thankful.

So long story short. I torn my bicep from the upper tendon. It was outer tendon wich was cut during excercise and bicep fall a little down and now there is only one tendon in the shoulder to hold it. It is so called "popeye" bicep now.

Have any of you experienced similar? How was it healed?

My main concern is that should it be operated or not? My common sense is telling me that I'm not be able to lift as much with it as I have been because how could it tolerate a weight ex. maximum lift now when there is only one tendon to hold the weight but before there was two? How big is the risk it will also broke?

So what is human tendon able to tolerate? Can I lift hard with only one tendon or should it be operate?

Or should I only use small weights for now on and long sets? Or should I be able to lift hard without fear that it would torn too?

Thanks for answer! I'm especially interested if someone has own story to tell.

Surgery. If it's completely torn off the bone, you need to go see a doc asap. If it's partially torn, I would still recommend seeing a doc, but I doubt surgery would be needed. You would need to completely rest it and not do anything that would aggravate it until it heals.

Yes see a sports medicine doctor.

Last year I tore my distal bicep tendon right off the bone deadlifting..I had the surgery to re attach it...had a long recovery process but im good as new now..

Hi,

I'm new here and native language isn't english but hope you can give me some decent advices. I would be thankful.

So long story short. I torn my bicep from the upper tendon. It was outer tendon wich was cut during excercise and bicep fall a little down and now there is only one tendon in the shoulder to hold it. It is so called "popeye" bicep now.

Have any of you experienced similar? How was it healed?

My main concern is that should it be operated or not? My common sense is telling me that I'm not be able to lift as much with it as I have been because how could it tolerate a weight ex. maximum lift now when there is only one tendon to hold the weight but before there was two? How big is the risk it will also broke?

So what is human tendon able to tolerate? Can I lift hard with only one tendon or should it be operate?

Or should I only use small weights for now on and long sets? Or should I be able to lift hard without fear that it would torn too?

Thanks for answer! I'm especially interested if someone has own story to tell.

Surgery. If it's completely torn off the bone, you need to go see a doc asap. If it's partially torn, I would still recommend seeing a doc, but I doubt surgery would be needed. You would need to completely rest it and not do anything that would aggravate it until it heals.

Thanx for reply. Yes I have seen a doc and it is completely off bone because my bicep has fallen down and it is only attached now with one tendon wich is near pecs/armpit. So the outside of bicep isn't attached to anything at the moment and I have been able to train with it but it isn't as strong as before.

The main problem here is that how much can I put weight on that now when there is only one tendon to hold it. How much one tendon can tolerate weight, how strong are tendons? I mean how big weights can I lift with it without fear it will also tore? Can I lift as much as I can or should I limit weights?

Thanx

Thanx for reply. Yes I have seen a doc and it is completely off bone because my bicep has fallen down and it is only attached now with one tendon wich is near pecs/armpit. So the outside of bicep isn't attached to anything at the moment and I have been able to train with it but it isn't as strong as before.

The main problem here is that how much can I put weight on that now when there is only one tendon to hold it. How much one tendon can tolerate weight, how strong are tendons? I mean how big weights can I lift with it without fear it will also tore? Can I lift as much as I can or should I limit weights?

Thanx

I'd wait until you're near 100% healed before trying anything

I'd wait until you're near 100% healed before trying anything

That is what I say. If you lifting anything with that muscle now you are very likely to detach the other tendon and then your whole bicep muscle will roll down like a blind . There is really only one other muscle there that flexes your arm and thats the brachialis which is underneath the biceps.

Thanx

I wouldn't do any upper body exercises if I were you bro until your tendon is healed 100%. Cardio and leg exercises are fine in the meanwhile. Maldorf, hardtimes and I all advocate the same thing here. Completely rest your bicep until it's healed or else you risk further damage to your other tendon and the one that is already torn. Doc will probably have you rest it for at least 6 months then have you do physical therapy for a couple months before you can start lifting weights again for your upper body.

Last edited:
I'm not sure is there anything that could heal anymore? Because it isn't in pain and it works and I can do things with it..

If you watch this video you can see what tendon I mean. It is the outer tendon from shoulder.

Proximal Biceps Tendon Rupture Popeye - Everything You Need To Know - Dr. Nabil Ebraheim, M.D. - YouTube

I mean it has cut completely off from shoulder and can't heal anymore. So my bicep is actually functioning with two tendons instead of three (one from forearm and one from shoulder).

Last edited:
I'm not sure is there anything that could heal anymore? Because it isn't in pain and it works and I can do things with it..

If you watch this video you can see what tendon I mean. It is the outer tendon from shoulder.

Proximal Biceps Tendon Rupture Popeye - Everything You Need To Know - Dr. Nabil Ebraheim, M.D. - YouTube

I mean it has cut completely off from shoulder and can't heal anymore. So my bicep is actually functioning with two tendons instead of three (one from forearm and one from shoulder).

That tendon should be reattached if youre going to continue lifting heavy weights. If you were just the average joe couch potato then the doc would probably tell you not to worry about it. What did the docs tell you?

That tendon should be reattached if youre going to continue lifting heavy weights. If you were just the average joe couch potato then the doc would probably tell you not to worry about it. What did the docs tell you?

Thanx.

Yes doctors told me that it should be ok but as you said I believe it should be better if reattached. I'm wondering here will that one tendon tolerate without rupture as much weight as my muscles will be able to lift? No doctor has told me how much human tendon is able to tolerate without rupture if its healthy.

I believe my tendon was inflamed because it was hurting many weeks before accident but I just continued lifting hard and thats why it was ruptured.

But if that one tendon remains healthy do you believe I could lift with it big weights or do you think it could rupture? Because if just possible I would rather not go to operate it...

I have the same bicep situation which happened over ten years ago playing softball. It is still partially torn and it is just as strong as it ever was and as strong as my left. I have even deadlifted 550 with it like this. I had my chiropractor do ART on it a few years after it happened and have never had a problem since. ART is active release technique in case you're unfamiliar with it.

Thanx.

Yes doctors told me that it should be ok but as you said I believe it should be better if reattached. I'm wondering here will that one tendon tolerate without rupture as much weight as my muscles will be able to lift? No doctor has told me how much human tendon is able to tolerate without rupture if its healthy.

I believe my tendon was inflamed because it was hurting many weeks before accident but I just continued lifting hard and thats why it was ruptured.

But if that one tendon remains healthy do you believe I could lift with it big weights or do you think it could rupture? Because if just possible I would rather not go to operate it...

I dont think anyone can answer the question of will it hold up, but it is certainly more likey to rupture since the other tendon is now gone. The brachialis actually produces more force in flexing the arm I think, not sure, so it is possible you might be ok but I dont think I would take that chance if I were you. If you werent going to lift weights ever again I would say just leave it, but you sound like you are a serious lifter. The arm must look funny cosmetically too? Ive never seen an arm with that injury before. Maybe you could post up a pic of a double bicep pose so we can see how it looks? Im just curious in that respect.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
commonplaceconsulting
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws