over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Torn Hip Labrum

qbkilla

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
A girl I know who does not lift will be getting surgery for this. I haven't told her my full opinion I don't want to scare her, but I would imagine this is something that will always be a problem and the prognosis is not good? This is just basing it on the research I have done on labrum surgery for a shoulder, which I hear the prognosis is pretty bad because a labrum is not like a muscle or tendon. I had a partial labrum tear in my shoulder but did not want the surgery and PT has worked well and I have no major limitations. But she is getting the surgery, and its a hip.

Anyone ever have this or know anyone who has?

Part of my shoulder surgery was for a torn labrum (on top of torn rotator cuff and subacromial decompression work). My Ortho screwed it back into place and have had 0 issues with it since (2012/2013).

i got SLAP tears in both of my shoulder labrums. did not need surgery however, thankfully.

i do not flat BB bench anymore though

People - READ THE THREAD TOPIC.

This is about the HIP LABRUM - it is NOT about the SHOULDER LABRUM.

People - READ THE THREAD TOPIC.

This is about the HIP LABRUM - it is NOT about the SHOULDER LABRUM.
Yep and he was comparing the two based on his research. So, since his research was based on shoulder labrum repair I replied with my experience with that.

HIP Labrum injuries are much worse than the shoulder.

I've had 2 360 tears of the labrum and rotator cuff, has ruined all L shoulder mobility. It sucks. But shoulder problems from labrum injuries are all over the spectrum. I know guys (like myself) who will never be the same, and other guys who had it repaired and are back to 100%.

But the hip is a bad one. First of all, its not very common injury. I played college football and knew a handful of shoulder injuries. 0 hip injuries though. It takes some FORCE to rip your hip socket (dislocated or even tear the cartilage). If I'm not mistaken, Bo Jackson's career ending injury was partially due to a hip labrum tear. He was tackled from behind and it partially dislocated hip right hip...landed on it, popping it back into place but fully tearing the labrum.

A girl I know who does not lift will be getting surgery for this. I haven't told her my full opinion I don't want to scare her, but I would imagine this is something that will always be a problem and the prognosis is not good? This is just basing it on the research I have done on labrum surgery for a shoulder, which I hear the prognosis is pretty bad because a labrum is not like a muscle or tendon. I had a partial labrum tear in my shoulder but did not want the surgery and PT has worked well and I have no major limitations. But she is getting the surgery, and its a hip.

Anyone ever have this or know anyone who has?

Wow, tough question to answer. Firstly, I would want to be positive that the issue is really the labrum. Many people have asymptomatic torn labrums in their hip; have one myself. So, just because it showed up on the MRI as existing, doesn't mean that the labrum is necessarily the cause of her current pain/issue. Has she tried therapy first? Has she had a second opinion from another ortho who has a good reputation? Does her current ortho have a good reputation and not someone who just likes to hack? What is her age and is a replacement a possible alternative option? There are really a lot of other factors that need to be known before you can really make a good decision on what the right choice it.

Thanks for all the replies.

She is 30. She has been going to PT for a while. I recommended she go to my PT ( I will just assume hers was not very good). I told her a while ago it sounded like a labrum, then she got an MRI, and it was. The doctor has recommended and scheduled surgery because PT didn't work. she will go to my PT who is very good prior to and after the surgery. I was just hoping PT could fix it like it did my shoulder, or make it so it doesn't bother me ( can't fix the tear). But she seems determined to get the surgery. I doubt even my PT can talk her out of it because I think they just follow doctors orders.

It will all depend on how bad the tear, how good the surgeon is, and how well she recovers. Everyone is different. I've had both shoulders repaired for labrum tears and am stronger than before and almost no limitations. If the tear was caught early enough surgery could save her from having a replacement down the road.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
astar
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131