over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

torn pec muscle

twintower

Newbies
last night at the gym i was working on chest. i started on the decline machine and warmed up w/ 135, then i did 225 for 10 reps. after this my shoulder starting feeling very sore and i had sharp needle like pains. i just ignored it since i felt sore during many workouts in the past. the next set was for 275, as i was bringing the bar down to my chest i heard three loud pops in my left pec near my armpit. someone about three feet away from me heard the pop and helped left the weight of me. i usually go to 315 on decline bench so this wasn't unusually heavy weight for me. the doc said a tore the pec muscle and will probably not be able to lift for a month. has this happened to anyone and if so did you keep lifting and just change your routine around? i really don't want to miss a month from the gym and loss all my hard earned gains.

I am sorry but dont' know about pec tears. I have had numerous injuries from other sports though which made it impossible to lift as usual.

One thing I have learned personally and saw a reasearch paper about. Even if you can only lift on one side DO IT. The body strives to maintain balence and you will not end up grossly huge on one side compared to the other.

I have a torn rotator and am doing one arm DB press. Smith Machine independent pec machine, cable cross One arm DB raise etc.

Do NOT stop working out, I did and also let my calorie level go low and lost a lot of muscle fast.

Hmm

Goto the doctor tell him what happened, tell him what you are on, and get it taken care of. So many of us men think we know it all and can heal our selves when we really need surgery, a cast or therapy.

Re: Hmm

vitor said:
Goto the doctor tell him what happened, tell him what you are on, and get it taken care of. So many of us men think we know it all and can heal our selves when we really need surgery, a cast or therapy.

The Dr. told him it was a torn pec.

Now that I think about this how did the Doc know this MRI?

bro...

sounds like the insertion where the pectoral connects via tendons to the rib cage and shoulder. Pec tears that occur at the tendon juncture are usually associated with steroid use as the drugs, in essence, cause the strength of the muscle to outpace the strength of the tendon, and, of course, a muscle blows at its weakest link. So that's also something to consider if you were "on" at the time.

Here's a little info on a study that showed that surgery was the best option for a pec tear:

**broken link removed**

In this study, 13 of 17 lifters underwent surgery to repair their pec tears. Of those that got surgery, they all returned to 80-100% of their pre-injury strength. Those that didn't only got 55-85% of their strength back. Something to think about if you ask me.

Good luck, and go to a better Doctor for a 2nd opinion.

DrG

HURRY

GET OFF OF THIS COMPUTER BECAUSE WE ARE NOT THE ONES TO ASK AT THIS POINT,WE CANT SEE THE SEVERITY OF IT.GO TO YOUR DOCTOR, TELL HIM YOU WANT TO REATTATCH IT, GO GET A SECOND OPINION IF NECESSARY. HURRY.

I tore a bicep.....

at 2am one night....had it repaired the next day at 1:30pm. The orthopedic surgeon told me that my recovery would be excellent because I had immediate surgury. If you don't the tedons will atrophy or reattach in the wrong place. You will have a deformity and strenght loss. My repaired bicep now looks better than the other one.:D

It is crucial that you get to a DOC ASAP...the longer you wait, the more likely they will not be able to help.

I have a friend that did the same thing on incline...he has a huge indent in his pec. If he would have went to the doc and had it put back, he would not have this problem, pus he is consideraly weakier due to not enough muscle fibers firing.

Crowler i haven't had the mri yet, but i am getting it done this afternoon. i have gotten two doc's opinions on the tear. both said i didn't tear the tendon off the bone and surgery was not needed. they said that i tore the muscle and to get an mri to make sure. it's been two days since the injury and now my pec is black and blue near the armpit. i will be returning to the gym today and lift lightly. by the way i am not currently on a cycle.

Get lasersurgery... it's fixed in a minut, but you have to take at least one month rest.

i tore my peck you can also get the muscle stiched back together. did it at cedar sania in La. well worth it but you only have a short window . it may look mangled looking if not.

I would be having ultrasound on it straight away, have torn both pecs heaps x I usally have rest for week then try find some exercise that can go very light on and just get movement without straining pec at all. You should start getting massage next week as well :)

me too

my dr thougt i had a torn pec too. he said that the mri tech said it was too. so they put me under. a few moments later they woke me back up. the dr said that he had some good news and some bad news. first the good news was after examining me more carefully and he himself look at the mri instead of taken the word of the tech he said i had an abcess on my pec muscle.
i said what was the rest. he said that because of insurance they do not consider that orhepdic surgery but general surgerie that i would have to go see one.
i did and one week later i was put under again. the recovery complete took 3 months. 3 months of packing that hole under arm every nite. and evry week going to the dr for him to rip out the gauges. he was not as nice about it as my ex-girlfriend was.
so please make sure and see thta dr.

i tore my left pec just about completely of the bone.was doing 140 dumbbells and it snapped.was extremely loud but didnt hurt.scared the hell out of me though.i sat up and could feel the muscle just sort of slide downward(not a good feeling).i went to the emergency room and the doctor could literally put his 4 fingers into my shoulder where the tendon used to be.i ended up going to temple hospital and the surgeon said (after surgery)that he could only attach 80% of the tendon becuase it was torn too badly in my upper pec region.anyway it took awhile to get back into things but today(5yrs later) it is just about 100%.now granted it took only about a year to really get it into shape,but the psychological damage was severe.i think about it everytime i do chest and i changed the way i train now.but,you must get it reattached and soon.dont let some doctor,who doesnt want to do the surgery tell you you dont need it.you do!get it done.unless you just want to sit on the couch the rest of your life then dont,but if you still want to train go to the surgeon now.
later

:eek:

Damn Bro! I have to agree with our Phil Hernon there, and as a matter of fact, I have to agree with most of you. I have never torn a muscle, or received a "popping" sound injury, but seriously, haul ass to a second opinion, and get under that knife.....quick....time is of the essence. Don't wimp out bro....good luck...I feel your pain bro.

i did get a second opinion and both docs said it was a tear but not off the bone. i found out today that i have to wait about 2 weeks to get approved by the insurance for an MRI, damn HMO. i went to the gym yesterday and trained arms and only felt a little pain. thanks for the feedback.

Staff online

• K1
    Blue-Eyed Devil

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Pdx236
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws