over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Total Volume

Clarence

Registered
Newbies
How many of you guys or gals are calculating total volume from week to week? How long are your waves? Or do you just go off of feel? Also for those that dont like to calculate volume how are you avoiding that overtraining threshold?

I have been a huge fan of Westside for the better part of 15 years. Ive read almost all of Louie's books. But I have failed at one thing consistently, calculating my training volume. Im starting to feel like this has cost me a lot of gains over the years.

Thanks for any help!

Background
5'10
350 Max Bench
500 Max Squat
505 Deadlift
Been training since I was 18. Been in the Military since I was 26 so I have to maintain a certain amount of Cardio too.

I train for hypertrophy, and decided to train low volume high intensity (because for me it's the most optimized way to train), top sets + back off (or some intensity technique like dropsets, rest pause, cluster sets etc).

Volume isn't the main driver here, you usually log reps and weights and if you want increase the density by adding intensity techiniques instead of your back off sets, to squeeze more effective reps.

Cardio amount depends on how much cardio you keep doing, your periodization decides what you want to do more.

You can't have super cardio endurance and be huge at same time, but you can have a balance of those.
I always prefer to focus on one goal each time.

Could not agree more Sir. Cardio is constantly a battle because it's part of my job. Unfortunately cardio is also at the top of the list of things I loathe about my job. Often times I have had to train more for Hypertrophy as you mentioned just to keep my cardio decent.

Do you think Powerbuilding would be more beneficial, with cardio always being a factor in swaying my weekly volume.

Thank you for the response.

The Westside method is a perfect framework for what you're trying to accomplish. Max effort days will keep you strong, Dynamic effort days will keep you explosive, and other than accessories to build up weak points - you can put a lot of emphasis on cardio, which is really about work capacity.

I bet you'd get a lot of value from Matt Wenning, as he's great at adopting g the conjugate method to sport specifics.

I'm a huge Westside fan and Wenning has some of the best content on YouTube. You just validated what I thought was probably the obvious answer.

Military as well - Current log in my signature. Hopefully some of this helps. I tried westside several years back and it just wasn't for me - lost a substantial amount of athleticism, explosiveness and mobility. Training also does not address various needs regarding chassis strength and posterior chain strength for sprints/rucks/LSD runs.

Maintain triple six year round (6 min mile, 600 pound squat, 600 pound dead).

Highly recommend Jeff Nichols primarily with performance fist and then ross edgley (private programming - not his public stuff)

Previous log is here https://www.professionalmuscle.com/...gionals-2023-crossfit-games-qualifier.172843/

Military as well - Current log in my signature. Hopefully some of this helps. I tried westside several years back and it just wasn't for me - lost a substantial amount of athleticism, explosiveness and mobility. Training also does not address various needs regarding chassis strength and posterior chain strength for sprints/rucks/LSD runs.

Maintain triple six year round (6 min mile, 600 pound squat, 600 pound dead).

Highly recommend Jeff Nichols primarily with performance fist and then ross edgley (private programming - not his public stuff)

Previous log is here https://www.professionalmuscle.com/...gionals-2023-crossfit-games-qualifier.172843/
I find it very interesting that the Westside method wasn't a success for you. Seems like a perfect framework to hit that triple 6.

BUT, that's coming from someone who has never run a 6 min mile! LOL. Im a 100m sprint type of athlete.

I find it very interesting that the Westside method wasn't a success for you. Seems like a perfect framework to hit that triple 6.

BUT, that's coming from someone who has never run a 6 min mile! LOL. Im a 100m sprint type of athlete.
For strength programming it was fantastic mate - for overall athleticism / support mechanisms it didn’t really hit my needs.

In all sincerity I’m trying to balance so many damn things it’s like walking a tight rope. So easy to go down a rabbit hole and focus on something and then you lose heaps of ground with a different endeavor.

Westside method is just one form of conjugate. Tailoring a conjugate program geared more to your specific needs is pretty simple. Calculating your training volume to a T is unnecessary and could potentially cause unneeded stress. Deloads every third week should keep you ahead of the “overtraining” curve. During our powerbuilding phase (10 weeks) we go based off RPE for the main mover, with majority being in RPE 7-8 range. Second mover is a mechanically similar movement to the main mover followed by 3 accessory movements. One prehab movement and one core movement to finish the training day, to address your cardio needs replace one of the movements with sled or prowler work for time or distance.

How many of you guys or gals are calculating total volume from week to week? How long are your waves? Or do you just go off of feel? Also for those that dont like to calculate volume how are you avoiding that overtraining threshold?

I have been a huge fan of Westside for the better part of 15 years. Ive read almost all of Louie's books. But I have failed at one thing consistently, calculating my training volume. Im starting to feel like this has cost me a lot of gains over the years.

Thanks for any help!

Background
5'10
350 Max Bench
500 Max Squat
505 Deadlift
Been training since I was 18. Been in the Military since I was 26 so I have to maintain a certain amount of Cardio too.
that's some good strength to weight ratio. when I competed at 198, my numbers were similar. my deadlift always sucks though

Mixing cardio and strength work, you need to get good at RPe based programs.

Mike tuchscherer is a good example.

A linear or block program will not work. You need to ebb and flow strength training with your recovery THAT day.

And you have to choose a priority.

Hard set strength training, and conditioning as recovery allows,

Or a set conditioning plan, and training has to bend to recovery.

You can’t ride two horses with one ass.

Are you speaking about main movement volume or total training session volume?

I have all the WS books, have the certs for the courses, and have been following for years now.

On ME days I watch the volume for sets/reps/total weight then go by feel for the accessory work. Lower total sets and reps and I do not include abs/core or hypers in that volume as these are seen more as recovery assistance, at least in my opinion.

For DE days I don't worry about that since this is a high volume day by design. I do bend the rules though and sometimes forego DE since it beats me up and may run lower total sets for squats/pulls but kill the repetition method portion.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
mp18201
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131