over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Training abs?

No matter how hard you train abs if you are not lean you will not see them, anyone who has trained knows that.

With that being said im in 100% agreement with Jizzmo and Phidias, they are a muscle and they should be trained if you want them to look their best. Also with that being said, they are a muscle and like all muscles they need rest so i dont agree with people who think they should be hit every day.

When i got serious with training when i was 15 i trained my abs like crazy (because thats all i had) I built them up to a level where I always really have them there is just fat over them at certain times of year. Ever since then i can neglect them for a few months (and when i say neglect i still hit them once a week) And as soon as i get my diet in check and start hitting them religiously (2-3 times a week hard) they start to pop.

My method is when you train them do the hard shit. Hanging knee/leg raises for the lowers (those are the hardest to get) Strict crunches on the ball for the uppers (if you do the ball properly it really hits all the abs) and some strict floor exercises (cross body crunches, bicycles, crunches while holding one leg up and one slightly off the ground then switching legs) you super set that shit and your abs will be burning

Missed that one :)

Genetically I have very thin abs. Love to have those thick blocks but they're just not shaped that way.

everything has its advantages and disadvantages though
like growman i always trained them hard and heavy right from the start, actually much heavier than i do now
theyve been like a brick wall ever since

however the bad thing is since they pop out quite a bit - when youre bulking and your stomach is full of food all the time the upper part of your abs sometimes bulges out as far as your chest later in the day

which can make you look pretty fat with a shirt on :D

but then again you can just go to bed and the next morning theyre flat and popping again :cool:

Missed that one :)

Genetically I have very thin abs. Love to have those thick blocks but they're just not shaped that way.

Genetics certainly play a big role. When im ripped my 6 abs line up perfectly its like all 6 of them are almost the exact same shape.

Like Jizzmo said the training certainly helps. I do have friends though that train them hard and even when they are lean they dont "pop" like people who have good ab genetics.

like growman i always trained them hard and heavy right from the start, actually much heavier than i do now

however the bad thing is since they pop out quite a bit - when youre bulking and your stomach is full of food all the time the upper part of your abs sometimes bulges out as far as your chest later in the day

but then again you can just go to bed and the next morning theyre flat and popping again :cool:

Yeah when im not lean, and right after i eat my stomach can get out to my chest. Not the look any of us want. I slowed down with the IGF a lot, mostly because its not as good as it was in the past so hopefully my stomach stays flatter.

I train them 3-4 times a week no matter if lean or not. It helps my lower back feel better.

I have very thin shallow abs also. TBH... i never trained them though, I didn't think it was needed and was stupid. Even in contest shape at my last show, my stomach was flat as could be, very thin skin, i had glutes and all, but no 6 pack. I just had a flat stomach, very minimal minimal defition in my abs. I do have very good obliques though which really stood out like crazy, but just 1 slate board over my abd, no separation between the muscles.

I was told by 2 judges I need to heavily start training my abs as I should have had them based on bodyfat and it held me back in placing.

Abs 3x a week for many years . But they hide unless I am <10%.

My abs have always been shallow but I've probably only trained them 5-6 times a year, I really like the look of chunky abs so I'm gonna start training them hard a few times a week.

Have any of you guys felt as though you trained them too hard and getting a blocky look or do you train them as hard as possible and not worry about that? What about obliques?

This is exactly my deal to a tee. I trained abs heavy and hard for years. They are always there but if I bulk I have a big distended gut. They look great when I flex. I never bulk any more so all is good.

Have any of you guys actually had success thickening your abs via isolation movements like crunches, leg raises, ab resistance machines etc. ?

It seems like most people neglect this part of their training and I am very guilty of it too (haven't directly trained abs in years). Have you guys who consistently hit them noticed any progression in their density and thickness?

I am seriously considering adding it in on a regular basis but am wondering what kind of experiences you guys have had.

Cheers.

I do two sets of ab work, high reps at the end of every training session. A must in my opinion. Its part of your core and having a strong core will help all your other lifts including most everyday activities.

This is exactly my deal to a tee. I trained abs heavy and hard for years. They are always there but if I bulk I have a big distended gut. They look great when I flex. I never bulk any more so all is good.

This^
Genetically have blocky abs that are thicker then some steak I've eaten.
When I'm not lean, I have the distorted gut look.

5'8 163lbs Natural when I was in my Teens
4pzpu.jpg

5'8 200lbs
1zzjfw9.jpg

Same here. I was always told it was all diet,,,which is true to a point,,but my abs really started looking better when I trained them direct like all other muscle groups.

I couldn't agree more with this. I honestly believe you need to train them, just like everything else, to get a nice thick, full look.

I hate when people think that they're just so fucking ripped because they have a six pack...... But weigh about 120lb. It's pure ignorance. I absolutely hate that.

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Spinaltap88
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws