tue: shruggs/bent laterals/hammers
wed: chest/bi
thur: shruggs/bent laterals/hammers
fri: back/tri

this workout will get you big!
no more than 40 min in gym!

If you don't know me then you don't know big...5'7 278

So you do hammercurls, and the day after biceps? .. how could that work
without fucking up your biceps training?

So you do hammercurls, and the day after biceps? .. how could that work
without fucking up your biceps training?

Guess it would entail you understanding anatomy of function of the muscles . Hammer work the brachialis and brachioradilais more. The forearms in general can tolerate higher frequencies along with the biceps. You do realize regardless of split your overlapping muscles on most days indirectly .

Guess it would entail you understanding anatomy of function of the muscles . Hammer work the brachialis and brachioradilais more. The forearms in general can tolerate higher frequencies along with the biceps. You do realize regardless of split your overlapping muscles on most days indirectly .

Yeah. A competitive arm wrestler I used to know trained hammers like that. Probably one of the most important movements I think. He did a lot of forearm curls too of course and skull crushers.

Reactions: D2
Oldie but goodie...

Anyone change their mind on this?
From reading it seems like everybody gained from twitching to twice a week. Well of course you did, you turned it up from what you were used to doing. But did that slow down¿
In 2020 ( past three years actually) the biggest guys are doing one body part (larger muscles) once a week like Jay Cutler did (or every 72 hours per body part)
Each week they're just doing slightly different movements or almost dying each workout lol.
It's funny how you see different articles of bodybuilder splits.
This one article was so confusing. It mentioned that Phil Heath does each body part twice a week. In the same article it lists his split, and each body part was only worked once a week, with two days off.
Now of course in a different article it shows twice a week lifts years later.
You'll notice some of the freakiest bodybuilders in past had a twice a week split, but their bodies failed them later. And then there's Marcus who did one body part per week. In the 90s many had one body part per week splits.

Reactions: D2
I can barely, barely get away with hitting bigger stuff like back and legs twice a week, so I only really worry about those. Some other stuff gets hit twice or even three times a week (triceps, at times), but I'll also split up my back and legs into different focuses on different days. I think that allows recovery to be a big better as opposed to hitting something like hacks or leg press twice a week.

Oldie but goodie...

Anyone change their mind on this?
From reading it seems like everybody gained from twitching to twice a week. Well of course you did, you turned it up from what you were used to doing. But did that slow down¿

Haven't changed my mind, but I've seen what I always theorized play out in my own bodybuilding journey.

For years, my theory has been that bodybuilding training volume and to a good degree frequency is a bell curve that generally follows a linear progression in muscle mass. From left to right:
  • Left side of curve - beginners require very little stimulus to get results, so they can do great with low volume
  • Middle peak of curve - with a few years of lifting, the body becomes more resistant to new adaptations, so most trainees need more volume to keep progressing
  • Right side of curve - for those who keep progressing to a truly advanced lifter, mind-muscle connection and training intensity should grow to where you get more muscle fatigue from less volume
About 3.5 years ago I switched from a traditional single muscle group once a week split to push / pull / legs, hitting everything twice a week. I made good gains with this.

About 2.5 years ago I started cutting volume down - my strength and intensity were reaching levels where I had to cut back so I could recover and maintain my preferred training frequency.

Last year I cut volume down a bit more and reduced frequency some by adding an extra rest day here and there. This coincided with reaching new all-time highs in strength and muscle mass.

This year I've cut volume slightly again, but reduced frequency even more. For a good portion of this year I was taking 2 rest days per week, which I'd never done previously. About 4-6 weeks ago I dropped it to training every other day. This has again coincided with new all-time highs in strength and muscle mass.

For context, I'm closing out a growing phase and a pretty lean 275lbs.; currently flat benching 430 for 10, military pressing 315 for 10, rack deadlifting 500 for 10, Hack squatting 500 for 10, leg pressing 1,000 for 10.

I do less working sets than ever and take more days off than ever because the weights I lift are so taxing that I have to for maximal recovery. I do push / pull / legs and have gone from hitting everything twice a week (two different workouts) to once every 5 days. It's now 10 days between doing the same exercises.

I do think frequency could go up some after maintaining this bodyweight for a while, though unsure of how much given the weights I lift and my intent to keep progressing them. Part of the need for recovery at this level is just how taxing the growing process is on the body. Maintaining would be easier.

Haven't changed my mind, but I've seen what I always theorized play out in my own bodybuilding journey.

For years, my theory has been that bodybuilding training volume and to a good degree frequency is a bell curve that generally follows a linear progression in muscle mass. From left to right:
  • Left side of curve - beginners require very little stimulus to get results, so they can do great with low volume
  • Middle peak of curve - with a few years of lifting, the body becomes more resistant to new adaptations, so most trainees need more volume to keep progressing
  • Right side of curve - for those who keep progressing to a truly advanced lifter, mind-muscle connection and training intensity should grow to where you get more muscle fatigue from less volume
About 3.5 years ago I switched from a traditional single muscle group once a week split to push / pull / legs, hitting everything twice a week. I made good gains with this.

About 2.5 years ago I started cutting volume down - my strength and intensity were reaching levels where I had to cut back so I could recover and maintain my preferred training frequency.

Last year I cut volume down a bit more and reduced frequency some by adding an extra rest day here and there. This coincided with reaching new all-time highs in strength and muscle mass.

This year I've cut volume slightly again, but reduced frequency even more. For a good portion of this year I was taking 2 rest days per week, which I'd never done previously. About 4-6 weeks ago I dropped it to training every other day. This has again coincided with new all-time highs in strength and muscle mass.

For context, I'm closing out a growing phase and a pretty lean 275lbs.; currently flat benching 430 for 10, military pressing 315 for 10, rack deadlifting 500 for 10, Hack squatting 500 for 10, leg pressing 1,000 for 10.

I do less working sets than ever and take more days off than ever because the weights I lift are so taxing that I have to for maximal recovery. I do push / pull / legs and have gone from hitting everything twice a week (two different workouts) to once every 5 days. It's now 10 days between doing the same exercises.

I do think frequency could go up some after maintaining this bodyweight for a while, though unsure of how much given the weights I lift and my intent to keep progressing them. Part of the need for recovery at this level is just how taxing the growing process is on the body. Maintaining would be easier.
Wow man. That's was tremendously helpful.
I was just about to make a new thread about where I'm at.
Maybe you can chime in once I type it out.

My response is purely anecdotal. But, danieltx is a great illustration of my theory. The bigger and stronger you are....the MORE recovery time you need. He has a LOT of muscle that is moving a LOT of lbs. therefore there is a LOT more muscle being damaged than a guy who weighs 170lbs for example.

That is on a macro level (weekly)... here is a similar example on a micro level. I trained with a gal once and we were focused on rest pause sets (failure 3x in the same set). Her numbers might have been: 14 reps, 11 reps, 9 reps with 20 seconds rest in between the breaks. Mine would be: 14 reps, 7 reps, 4 reps with the same amount of rest. I don't believe she was better conditioned than me. I think it is because I was 50 lbs heavier and used a lot more weight. So more muscle damage each time I hit failure= more time to recover when I did.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear