Training Frequency

• I've grown better training bodyparts 1x per week

Votes: 97 31.2%
  • I've grown better training bodyparts 2x per week

Votes: 214 68.8%

• Total voters

Adonis89

Registered
Who has given both options a fair chance?

By "fair" I mean that one didn't grossly over-train with excessive volume or intensity with either method, such that they can accurately compare the positive and negative benefits of an optimal application of both strategies.

This question is probably best reserved for those who have trained for many years, know their body well, and can thus actually determine an "optimum" application of both methods for themselves.

Research would indicate that there's greater stimulus for protein synthesis and growth when body-parts are appropriately trained ~2x per week.

Last edited:
I'll share my experience.

I trained body parts once a week for several years and made decent growth, but nothing spectacular.

Last november I started working with John meadows. My growth really took off.

For the last 16 weeks or so my program has changed and I'm training everything twice per week as opposed to once. I have made incredible gains (while dieting) and my shape has truly changed.

The only thing I've found is that when training everything twice per week is that I really have to pay close attention to movements that tax the lower back. If I over tax it during any one session it'll have a negative impact on all of my training for a few days.

As long as joint health and overall volume is kept in check I think it can definitely add a new dimension to your training.

For anyone who thinks 1x a week is optimal for maximal growth, let me just tell you....

It's definitely not!

I train 1 bodypart only daily,but at 58 i need more time to recover.I still use heavey weight and maintain the size i had in 30's.

I train high volume like Phil, Jay, etc. for most of the year, but periodically incorporate DC training for a few months. I make better muscle gains training high volume, however, DC training makes me stronger. To me it's the best of both worlds.

I'll share my experience.

I trained body parts once a week for several years and made decent growth, but nothing spectacular.

Last november I started working with John meadows. My growth really took off.

For the last 16 weeks or so my program has changed and I'm training everything twice per week as opposed to once. I have made incredible gains (while dieting) and my shape has truly changed.

The only thing I've found is that when training everything twice per week is that I really have to pay close attention to movements that tax the lower back. If I over tax it during any one session it'll have a negative impact on all of my training for a few days.

As long as joint health and overall volume is kept in check I think it can definitely add a new dimension to your training.

How many days a week are you training if you don't mind me asking???

I've experimented with John's Mountaindog training and had worked up to training a FEW bodyparts twice a week. So you are training EVERYTHING twice a week correct?

I'm doing 7 sessions per week.

Sometimes I train everyday. Sometimes I'll do a few doubles and take some days off.

Yes, everything gets hit twice per week, generally it's one heavy, one light.

Twice a week for me. One frequency is better because you hit the muscle right after its healed so more time for growth periods. Secondly you are strongest on your first exercise and do the most damage to the muscles. ..so if you have 2 first exercises a week intead of one your better of.

I did 1part per week for years. 2 years ago switched to hitting each body part 3 times every 8 days. There is no comparison. At 40 years old I look the best I never have by training this way. I started worth DC training and ended up modifying it and doing a 2 way split. Way more recovery, joints feel better, not near as tired throughout the day. Something pretty special would have to come along to convince me to change.

I did 1part per week for years. 2 years ago switched to hitting each body part 3 times every 8 days. There is no comparison. At 40 years old I look the best I never have by training this way. I started worth DC training and ended up modifying it and doing a 2 way split. Way more recovery, joints feel better, not near as tired throughout the day. Something pretty special would have to come along to convince me to change.

How does that split look, how many exercises per bodypart etc?

I'm older and need more time to recover but I'm doing very well with upper body twice per week and legs once.

I use a 4 day split on Mon-Fri schedule. I work the area that needs focus on Mon and Fri. Im 49 and always used the push/pull/legs split for over 30 yrs. Got in my 40' s and switched to my current split. I feel more rested less joint pain and rarely sore. Recovery and rest are the key at my age. Twice per week is a thing of the past for me

Last edited:
I would have voted working a muscle 3 or more times a week.

It's important to say that would be usually one "high intensity" workout for a muscle a week. I would then include some low volume, low to moderate intensity work sets 24 to 48 hours after the main workout. To me, it enhances recovery and growth.

For some muscle groups, like delts, I get the best growth from doing a high rep "pump" set nearly everyday. Combined with higher intensity work once or twice a week, of course.

Over the last 25 or so years of bodybuilding I have tried 2x per week at least 10 times if not more. Each time I stuck with it for at least 3 months, sometimes as long as 6 months. Every time I have concluded that it I wasn't recovering properly and gone back to once every 5 or 6 days. When I was younger, I noticed my strength stopped progressing from 2x per week, as I have gotten older it has almost always lead to tendon or joint issues.

Now that I'm training lighter than I have for a long time, I'm thinking about trying it again, which seems somewhat irrational to me considering my previous experience. If you can do it and make it work, or if you just do it for short periods, I think it could be optimal.

This is probably a very individual thing.

for the people hitting everything twice a week are you using a low or high volume approach?

every other week ill hit back or shoulders twice a week. around 22 sets each

You could rotate the two frequencies. Use 2 days a week for say 6 weeks then switch to 1 time per week. It would kind of act like ramping up then deloading.

For those of you who train 2x a week....

Can you give me an example of a split that you like?

The biggest problem for training each part 2x a week is that either A) the workouts get too long and grueling, to do all the important exercises, or B) you can skimp on exercises, but it feels like the muscles don't get hit that well.

For example, a good tricep workout for me, is like:

Dips or Closegrip Bench
Skull Crushers
Cable Pushdowns
French Press

I usually just pair this witih biceps, or shoulders, so the workout doesn't take TOO long.

There's no way you can do all those things 2x a week, along with every other bodypart.

You could rotate the two frequencies. Use 2 days a week for say 6 weeks then switch to 1 time per week. It would kind of act like ramping up then deloading.

I agree with this approach. This way I keep my muscles guessing

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity